“Easily accessible, beautiful trees, plentiful birds”

Sheldon Marsh State Nature Preserve
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Huron
More attraction details
Owner description: This stretch of shoreline comprises a diversity of habitats that sustain a number of plant and animal communities. Over 300 species of birds visit the preserve, and in the springtime, expect a carpet of wildflowers.
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I’d been to the area several times before to visit Cedar Point, but this was the first time I’d set some time aside for birding. One of the friends I was with had likely never been birding while the other dabbles in it less occasionally than I do.

It can be difficult to find good directions online for some birding locations, but to my relief the parking area for Sheldon Marsh is well signed and easily accessed. It was a great place to get a little taste of a nice variety of habitats.

On the map, the area is actually quite bit, but the old road extending from the parking lot is easy walking and the paved section is totally accessible. This roadway also features some small observation platforms that look out on the marsh. During our visit, the tulip trees were in bloom and they were stunning!

This was a quick trip as I didn’t want to impose upon my colleagues for very long, but we still managed to catch a nice variety of birds (including Indigo Bunting, Scarlet Tanager, Baltimore Oriole, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Wood Duck and many herons and egrets). Highlight was the huge snapping turtle easily visible from one of the observation platforms. You can also get a nice view of Cedar Point from the beach.

For a quick trip outside of the migration period, this was still an excellent place for a visit! For those who have more time than we did, it’s also near many other (also nicely signed) nature areas.

2  Thank Michelle T
in 9 reviews
"nature"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed June 22, 2013

A must do walk. woodlands to marsh to beach. one of the only protected ecosystems on shore of lake erie. binoculars for great birding!!!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family visits Vermilion/Huron every spring and we look forward to taking this short walk through the woods and marsh.

There is a side trail that takes you through the forest and when we went all the mayapples and daffodils were in bloom. Violets bloomed on either side of the walkway and the forsythia and magnolias were also in bloom.

There are three observation decks that you can view the marsh areas. We saw lots of redwinged blackbirds, many turtles sunning themselves on logs and white egrets. Lots of other birds that I have no clue what they were (I am not a birder). The short paved road ends at two beaches, the beach on the right unfortunately was filled with a lot of dead fish and the smell was a bit, well....fishy to be kind. So we veered over to the left side and just sat and enjoyed the view. We were abit early for the plover migration etc, but I imagine that would be interesting to see.

All in all, it's always fun to come here yearly and see what new things are happening. It's a great, easy flat walk and is definitely handicap accessible.

By the way, the squirrels are very friendly and we had two come within a few inches and followed us for some time. Just an FYI, if you are creeped out by squirrels.

1  Thank suechef
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I think we missed most of the migrating birds. The area was very clean and safe. No restrooms available.