“Very adequate for budget traveler”

Comfort Inn River's Edge
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Huron
Nashville, TN
“Very adequate for budget traveler”
Reviewed August 25, 2009

This hotel is not on the main drag where most Cedar Point vacationers go, so it was quieter here than at the other motels. The hotel staff was very nice to me. The breakfast room was open 24 hrs per day, with coffee all day long. Free breakfast included hard boiled eggs, bread, cereal, juice, coffee, tea and milk. There is a common use computer in the lobby, and wifi throughout. There is a nice big parking lot right outside of the hotel. The Huron Boat Basin is a nice stroll from the hotel and nice to walk around. There is also a 1/2 mile walk way out to the Huron Lighthouse which I think it is really nice. Two blocks away is a public beach on Lake Erie, and a nice children's playground and restroom facilities. There is also free parking at this little park too. The rooms look a bit dated, but are a standard "old school" hotel room. There is a bowling alley and bar with food across the street, and there are restaurants south of the hotel within a mile. River's Edge is on the Huron Boat Basin canal, and across the way is a Con-Agra factory. Con Agra is not the nicest view, from the hotel window. I believe it costs a little extra for a canal/water view room versus the parking lot view, and if I were to stay here again, I would stay on the parking lot side. Overall, it was a relaxing trip for me because of this quiet hotel. I asked the front desk, and they said they are seasonal, and will not be open during the winter months.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Kitikata

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We were traveling and decided to go to Cedar Point. Since it wasn't a planned excursion, I was just searching around for somewhere to stay that wasn't right on the beaten path, and the name of this place caught my attention. I made the reservation sight-unseen.

The staff was very friendly and it was, as advertised, at the river's edge. But as has been mentioned, the view is not exactly scenic!

There was plenty of parking, and an acceptable breakfast available. There is a computer in the lobby for internet access but it's a bit dated.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
new hampshire
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Still has the nasty polyester comforters which most hotels have done away with. Pool is old with max depth of 4 ft.(even our nine year old called it suckish). After a long day at Cedar Point, we opened the hideaway bed to find sheets and a blanket wadded up in the middle.(GROSS!) then while making up the bed myself, with fresh sheets discovered a dried greenish-grayish stain on the blanket that (best case senerio) could have come from either end of a baby.(ARE YOU KIDDING ME??) Housekeeping took about 20 minutes to deliver a clean blanket. Our nine-year old was unable to sleep on the bed because a rod was sticking into his back. Thankfully we had also brought an inflatable matress with us and I apologize to anyone in the surrounding rooms who had to listen to it being blown up around midnight. Train wistles woke us us (early) every morning and the lovely "river view" includes a parking lot on one side and a giant ConAgra building on the other. Hardly picturesque. Didn't use the internet while we were there but the monitor in the lobby bore an uncanny resemblence to the one I used on my first real job in the 80's. The continenal breakfast is a joke.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Huron hotels

Hamburg, NY
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Where to begin ....

Upon checking in, the family ahead of us was told that the hotel did not have their reservation and did nothing to accommodate them even though they had their internet reservation. As the father was about to blow, they finally asked if they wanted them to call another hotel in the area as they were booked for the weekend. This family was sent to another hotel at $189 per night!

When we stepped to the desk for check in, we were handed one room key. We questioned this as we had reserved two rooms. Like the couple before us, we were told they only had one room reserved for us. This is inspite of the fact that we were able to give them two reservation numbers. We asked to speak to Angie, the manager, as she is the one we reserved our room with. We were told rather sheepishly that Angie is no longer with the hotel.

We asked that local hotels be contacted to see if they could accommodate us but were told that they were sold out as well. As we were in the area for a softball tournament, and all of the team was staying at this hotel, we decided to make the most of one room! We asked for a cot for our room and was told they were out of them!

We then went up to our room to brainstorm what we were going to do and also to look online for other hotels in the area, despite being away from the team. Low and behold, there was a knock on the door and Ashley from the front desk brought in a cot! Ashley assured us that if they had someone cancel their reservation or no show, we would be first on the list for a second room. This never materialized.

The pictures on line of the hotel make it look nice, however, I do not want to have scenic views of smoke stacks and industry when I look out over the river. Being next to the yacht club was nice but the riverwalk left a bit to be desired!

Our first game at the softball tournament was at 8:15 am so we had to be at the field by 7 am. The continental breakfast was a joke! The coffee tasted like it was made out of river water. They offered bagels but the toaster did not work! I am not asking for a lot but you can get a toaster at Walmart for what, $10!

After the first softball game, we came back to the hotel to let the girls rest up as they then had a doubleheader and we needed to be back at the field at 3 pm. Upon entering the hotel, Ashley met me at the door with a big smile on her face! I thought, wow, she might actually have that second room for us afterall! My glee was short lived when she told me that the hotel lost half of it's power, the elevator was not working and she could not tell me if our room had power or not. Ashley stated that they expected the power to be restored by 1 pm.

I climbed the three flights of stairs to go to our room so I could get a book to read outside while we waited for power to be restored. There was emergency lighting only at the ends of the hall. I had to literally feel the room numbers at each door in order to find our room.

Upon entering the room, one bed was made. The other and the cot were not touched! I figured this was because the power failed as housekeeping was making up our room! WRONG! There was a note on the bed, signed by Angie the manager, we were told no longer worked there, stating that due to personal items being on the bed, they were unable to make the bed. The personal items were pillows the kids had brought from home! I had never heard anything so ridiculous in my life! Towels were never refreshed in the bathroom either.

We then went back to the ball field, just as power was restored. After getting dinner and going to Goofy Golf, we returned to the hotel, begrudgingly about 10 pm. The girls from the softball team were running rampant up and down the halls on the first floor of the hotel. They were even playing football. The front desk was not staffed, nor was anything said so this leads me to believe that we were the only ones in the hotel and they had not been booked solid as we had been told.

When we got to our room, cable was out. We called the front desk asking to reset it after the power failure and was told that it would not be working until morning! During our entire stay, the WiFi did not work either!

The next morning we had to again be at the ball field by 7 am for an 8:15 game. We asked at the desk for late checkout and were told no as they were booked! WHAT???? At this point, we decided to cut our losses and just get the hell out of that hotel. Upon checking out we asked for some type of courtesy discount due to all of the problems we had experience. We were told that the manager of the hotel said not to charge us for the cot! WHAT??? Upon further examining our bill, there was a charge for the room safe for both days that we were there. We asked for that to be removed as we did not use the safe. We were told that this is a standard charge at all hotels. We travel extensively for both business and leisure and have never had that fee. Finally they agreed to remove these fees.

It should be noted that this hotel is poorly understaffed. During our stay, we noted that Ashley and Jennifer manned the front desk, as well as acted as the maids making up the rooms. We saw two other employees, one woman staffed the breakfast room in the morning and one afternoon, we saw someone taking out the trash with a yellow shirt stating maintenance. That was it!

We were given a team rate of $99 per night. Believe me, this was far more than we should have been charged for the service we received. If you have a choice, stay somewhere else, I sure wish we did!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank neelie64
Hagerstown, MD
Reviewed June 21, 2009

Let me start by saying that yes, there is an industrial building behind the hotel that would make your River View room not worth the money, however the plant is quiet and did not do anything to disrupt my girlfriend or myself. The front counter was friendly and made check in a breeze. The hotel room was a standard room with no frills, but it was clean and served our purposes well. The pool was clean and well cared for. The hotel is in walking distance of Lake Erie, which is worth the walk at sunset, very beautiful and you can see Cedar Point in the distance. If you walk in the other direction (away from the lake following the river) there is an outdoor park that plays local bands on a Saturday night, and put on great show. There is also a fun bar within walking distance that provided a great night cap for the two of us. Across the street from the hotel is a bowling alley that had a surprisingly great dinner for a low price. The hotel is only about a ten minute drive to Cedar Point which made it a great location for us, we had no problem driving into the park in the morning. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to go to Cedar Point or the surrounding area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Peter's Twp. PA
Reviewed June 7, 2009

This was a lovely hotel. If you are planning a trip to Cedar Point, this is a much better option than any of the hotels long the strip in Sandusky. We found River's Edge Inn to be quiet and comfortable - A perfect place to relax after a long day at the park. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The staff was friendly and accomodating.

We have stayed at other hotels in the Sandusky area, and we all agreed that because of the peaceful setting, and the better, "back roads" way into the park, this will from now on be our "Go To" hotel when visiting Cedar Point.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
MI
Reviewed May 12, 2009

We chose this hotel because of it's location. This is a great place to stay if you are planning on a few days of fishing on lake Erie! Our stay was very positive. They had a very friendly staff, a very clean hotel & you can't beat the price! We will deffinately return to this hotel!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huron
Quality Inn Cedar Point
#5 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Express Hotel
Cedar Point's Express Hotel
#17 of 35 in Sandusky

Been to Comfort Inn River's Edge? Share your experiences!