“Not Very Good”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hudson
Chicago
“Not Very Good”
Reviewed July 3, 2008

I chose this hotel just for a place to plop my head for a night and that is all I got. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere and I had to make a U-Turn to get to it. It is a 2 story hotel. I had room 323 on the first floor (not sure how that happens).

The door to the outside by my room is supposed to have a security lock on it (accessible by a room key only). The outside door didn't even close by itself, and when forcefully closed, it remained unlocked. The building I was in was in the back of the hotel on the first floor, so I did not feel very secure there.

I was unable to access the internet. I am assuming the access point for my room area was out because I got an unsustainable weak signal. In order to use the internet, I had to sit in the lobby with my laptop.

The room was okay, but antiquated. The bathroom needed some help though. The bottom of the tub flexed when stepped on (apparently due to a retro-fitted plastic liner). The drain in the tub was clogged (I ended up with 6 inches of water in the tub as I took a shower).

The breakfast buffet ($6.95) was worse than the free breakfasts you usually get at other hotels. You can easily tell everything was at least a day old. Luke warm scrambled eggs and hardened bacon were the only entree's.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Butchboy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Ohio
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I booked a single night's stay at the Holiday Inn - Hudson for June 29, 2008 through Hotwire.

I prepared my family for the stay, letting them know that this was going to be an older hotel. In it's prime, I'm sure this hotel was a great getaway for many a traveller. Despite the thoughtful staff, the condition of the building itself did take away from our own experience.

The pool was awesome, especially for the kids. It is very large; there was a lot of room for the kids to swim. For the most part, the entire time the kids / myself spent in the pool was done so without any other guests around. A very thoughtful staff member really went out of her way to bring play stuff out for the kids to use; it was that act of hospitality and thoughtfulness that you just don't see everywhere in this day and age. Holiday Inn should be very proud to have an employee who treats guests as if they they were guests in her own home.

The condition of the hotel itself: it is in desperate need of a renovation. I can not give a truthful review here if I do not mention the odor that permeated our room and throughtout the hallway that led to our door. I can not say what it was, but it appeared to our party that someone had used some kind of deodorizer or something in a futile attempt to cover that odor. It was pretty bad.

Our room had 2 double beds; our matress had seen its better day as you "sunk" into it on the one side. My son said that his bed was just fine, though.

The hotel did offer the free high speed internet access, which was a plus. The hotel that we had stayed at the night before in Independence, OH had offered the high speed internet for a charge of $9.95/24 hours.

No complimentary continental breakfast is offered; there is a surcharge for breakfast.

In conclusion, I feel that the purpose of the forum here at Trip Advisor is to give an accurate and honest opinion of traveller experiences. With that said, I want to add that it is my opinion that the management of Holiday Inn - Hudson should be very proud of the team of thoughtful individuals who made our stay the best it could be through their thoughtful treatment of my family given the condition of its facilities. That should be reason enough to invest the capital for a much needed renovation.

I will not be back to this hotel until that is done.

• Liked — Pool was great for the kids: very nice size
  • Disliked — The smell in the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Westfield, Indiana
Reviewed January 3, 2008

My family stayed on Christmas night 2007. Yes, this is an old style Holiday Inn. It has been updated, is very clean, but I had set my expectations appropriately. There was a microwave and fridge in our rooms. There weren't many people there that night- I think they said that only 17 rooms were occupied. I was VERY impressed with the staff- even the girl checking us in that night was cheerful in spite of working on Christmas night! We ate breakfast in the restaurant the next morning- due to lack of people, they did not have the buffet. We ordered off the menu and the food was great- I think we got some "extras" due to the lack of people. The server - I believe her name was Sharon- was tremendous. We left stuffed and happy. The manager checked me out that morning- nice guy that wanted to make sure our stay was okay. I would not hesitate staying here again. If you're looking for a luxurious hotel, this isn't the place. If you're looking for a good place for a night or two, this is it. I think I would have rated the hotel "average" if the staff wasn't as good, so they get an "above average"!

• Liked — Attitude of the staff, food and service at breakfast
  • Disliked — Age of the hotel, but they have done the best they can without rebuilding
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank myred86
reynoldsburg
Reviewed December 1, 2007

I stayed here on a business trip. There are no elevators, you have carry your luggage to the second floor. The staff was very nice. I have not seen a holiday inn this old. I felt I was at a truck drivers stop. I would not stay here again.

• Liked — the staff was friendly
  • Disliked — the hotel
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed April 15, 2007

Some effort has been put into updating this hotel in recent years, and it shows in a positive manner. Rooms are nicely furnished and the beds are comfortable. Wireless high speed internet works flawlessly. Lobby and restaurant were well done.

The continental and hot breakfasts are both good, but you will have to pay extra if you booked through priceline.

Overall, I would be happy to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank UndercoverAngel
Cleveland, Oh
Reviewed September 10, 2006

We enjoy coming here several times a year from Cleveland for getaway weekends. It's an older hotel, but run quite nice. The restaurant is nice, (nothing fantastic, but nice). The hours of the restaurant can vary by season. They used to also have an outdoor pool & tennis courts, but they sold that part of the property this year. We were sad to see it go but they didn't really take care of it properly. The indoor pool area is very nice, large, and clean. There's also a small exercise room there. The pool also has a whirlpool and a sauna. At times the water in the pool is WAY too cold, but usually it's nice. Every once in awhile the whirlpool is only lukewarm, which is unsafe. We seem to notice the whirlpool is cooler when there are families with smaller children there and I believe the parents complain the whirlpool is too hot so the staff turns down the water temp. They should never do that. It's a great place for a getaway for couples or for families. We were there twice in Aug. One time the water in the pool was an ideal temperature and we enjoyed in quite a bit. We went 2 weeks later and the water was so cold we couldn't get in, which was a big disappointment since we go there to swim and play cards. They , like most places, have many rates available and you should really negotiate for the best rate. They have some pretty good deals.

• Liked — We go for the indoor pool. It's quite large for a hotel.
  • Disliked — Sometime the water in the pool is too cold
  • Tips/Secrets — Negotiate for a better price
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bampa
Conneaut, OH
Reviewed August 18, 2006

My wife and I had a company picnic we were attending at Geauga Lake. We didn't want to stay too close the the park, so we looked for a hotel on the outskirts. The hotel staff was friendly on arrival. The room was really nice. The pool was nice. The restaurant was fabulous. The stay was all together great.

• Liked — restaraunt
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hudson
Baymont Inn & Suites Boston Heights/Hudson
La Quinta Inn & Suites Cleveland Macedonia
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Macedonia
Days Inn & Suites Richfield
Hampton Inn Richfield
Hampton Inn Richfield
#1 of 6 in Richfield
Wingate by Wyndham Streetsboro/Cleveland Southeast

Been to Clarion Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!