“Will not EVER go back!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dayton, Ohio
“Will not EVER go back!”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

There was 8 of us family and friends. The place is too small, service was AWFUL, My server was confused about my Margarita? Really???? Frozen or on the rocks asked for on the rocks and he looked confused,,,only thing saving this dinner is the company I am with. Plenty of chips barely any salsa no refills, all our food came and all our food was cold rice was crap I was looking at all of us looking at the food and we were so ignored by the staff we ate what we could, took forever for the bill to come and a lady next to me gave me a six dollar off my bill. The only other good thing from the night! All I can say is you go for drinks get beer they can't hurt beer,,,drinks were so weak it was ridiculous! Just do yourself a favor and NEVER enter the doors! Oh yeah and the bathroom well............

• Visited September 2013

Miami, Florida
“Authentic Mexican, Not Really”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

It is Cinco De Mayo 2013 and we are looking to celebrate it in Dayton, Ohio. A Google search and El Toro comes on the screen with lots of great reviews.

El Toro brands itself as “Authentic Mexican” but that is hardly what we think when we order margaritas at the bar and see them being poured from a pre-mixed commercial plastic gallon container.

For a moment, I am willing to forgive this as I expect this phony "authentic" concoction would at least be topped off with a splash of shelf-brand tequila. It did not happen.

The drink itself was good but for us it is sad day and no reason to celebrate when we are getting a pre-mixed margarita at the bar in a Mexican restaurant.

Our disappointment continues when our food is delivered.

An enchilada, burrito combo platter made with ground beef and served without rice and beans. A special combo plate with flautas that looked like they came straight from the nearest grocery store freezer section. Things I just do not expect in a decent Mexican restaurant.

The Mayan Gods must surely be angry.

Overall, combined with fresh warm tortilla chips and a tasty salsa the flavors of our meals did come together but it was nothing special and certainly not worthy of being advertised as “Authentic Mexican”.

The best part of our dining experience was the 24oz US$1.99 draft beer special that could have been made better if one of the choices was a Mexican beer instead of American ones.

The bar staff at El Toro was very friendly but not as attentive as we thought they should have been. We realize it was probably one of their busiest days so we could overlook a part of it and did not necessarily hold it against them.

With so many other Mexican restaurants around Dayton, I would be more likely to give a few others a try before I return to El Toro.

It is not a bad restaurant but from the reviews we read, El Toro is highly over-rated compared to the real authentic Mexican restaurants that we are use to.

• Visited May 2013
Florida
“Salsa”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We love el toro - (do not go to the one by woodman though - it is awful). We love the salsa here. We eat here quite frequently.

Visited April 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“Second Chance - Same pedestrian result”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

After my review a little more than a year ago, I made the mistake of going back to El Toro again for more pain.

I was seated promptly and the requisite chips and salsa arrived after a delay. The salsa was a little spicy for my taste and the chips were warm, not hot.

Based on a reaction from my last visit that was highlighted by some seafood dish in a white cheesy sauce, this time I ordered the vegetarian combo with a quesadilla made of grilled vegetables, a side of Mexcian/Spanish rice, sour cream and guacamole and shredded lettuce all served on the same plate.

One thing I must say is that the quantity of food served as well as the value for money in terms of sheer quantity is excellent in this restaurant. I made it through half the quesadilla and gave up. The filling had some strange tasting sauce and the mushrooms had been grilled black and tasted of carbon.

I was greeted at the checkout with that old greeting from the last time a year and a half ago that irritated me then, and also from the same person, "Hey buddy, how was everything" like I was some long lost friend of the hotel staff.

The bottom line, is that if you are interested in food quantity, not particular about great Tex-Mex, or Southwestern or any specific style of food, the El-Toro will not disappoint. But if you are looking for a elegant and fine dining experience for Mexican, Southwestern, Tex-Mex or some particular style that you have enjoyed elsewhere and want to recreate, this is not the place.

Visited April 2013
Fairborn, Ohio, United States
“Good place to go.”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

El toro is actually a very nice place to eat. The staff is slightly creepy sometimes when they just watch customers. And watch out for the seafood enchilada. Not a good thing. Haha. But it's actually very good and reasonably priced.

• Visited November 2012