“Second Chance - Same pedestrian result”
Review of El Toro

El Toro
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 13, 2013

After my review a little more than a year ago, I made the mistake of going back to El Toro again for more pain.

I was seated promptly and the requisite chips and salsa arrived after a delay. The salsa was a little spicy for my taste and the chips were warm, not hot.

Based on a reaction from my last visit that was highlighted by some seafood dish in a white cheesy sauce, this time I ordered the vegetarian combo with a quesadilla made of grilled vegetables, a side of Mexcian/Spanish rice, sour cream and guacamole and shredded lettuce all served on the same plate.

One thing I must say is that the quantity of food served as well as the value for money in terms of sheer quantity is excellent in this restaurant. I made it through half the quesadilla and gave up. The filling had some strange tasting sauce and the mushrooms had been grilled black and tasted of carbon.

I was greeted at the checkout with that old greeting from the last time a year and a half ago that irritated me then, and also from the same person, "Hey buddy, how was everything" like I was some long lost friend of the hotel staff.

The bottom line, is that if you are interested in food quantity, not particular about great Tex-Mex, or Southwestern or any specific style of food, the El-Toro will not disappoint. But if you are looking for a elegant and fine dining experience for Mexican, Southwestern, Tex-Mex or some particular style that you have enjoyed elsewhere and want to recreate, this is not the place.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

El toro is actually a very nice place to eat. The staff is slightly creepy sometimes when they just watch customers. And watch out for the seafood enchilada. Not a good thing. Haha. But it's actually very good and reasonably priced.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

For the last nine years we have been traveling to Dayton for the Color Guard World Competitions. It's a once a year trip with a 4-6-day stay. Every meal in a different restaurant. You do the math in terms of how many restaurants we have visited in this area. The one and only place we always go to is El Toro at Huber Heights. Ran by the children of who I call Papa and Mama, everyone is very cordial, vibrant atmosphere and great service by native mexican servers. From the never ending chips and salsa, great appetizers and drinks to the vast variety of the menu, there is something to please anyone. If you don't find it, tell them and they will make it. It's always busy, so I'm not alone in liking it. Consistently good service, great tasting-big portions dishes at reasonable prices. It's hard to find one of these close to home, much less on the road.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

I love Mexican food, I work in Mexicantown Detroit, and this was the only Mexican restaurant near our hotel so we gave it a shot. We were seated immediately. The chips and salsa were fresh and delicious. Both my fiance and I are vegetarians so we ordered 2 different dishes from the vegetarian menu. My fiance had the vegetable fajitas which he said were alright but lacked flavor. I had a combo plate which a cheese "enchilada", a cheese quesadilla, and bean burrito. The enchilada was covered AND I MEAN DRENCHED in a very unappetizing sauce that was kind of sweet. The bean burrito was oozing refried beans from each side which made it look unappetizing but it was somewhat tasty. The cheese quesadilla was sadly filled with a fake mozzarella blend rather than queso fresco and was pretty bland. We both felt sick when we left and had very unpleasant bathroom experiences. Disappointment :(

Reviewed December 23, 2011

Excellent food, service, menu, prices, atmosphere!