“Not up to Comfort Inn standards”

Comfort Inn Dayton - Huber Heights
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Huber Heights
Kokomo, Indiana
“Not up to Comfort Inn standards”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I made the reservation via the phone since I was having trouble finding vacancies along my way home. I now know why this hotel was a great price. (I would have walked away, but since I made the reservation after the cancellation deadline, I was afraid i would still be charged for the room.) I will say that the front desk is friendly, which at this point is the only compliment for this particular Comfort Inn. The hotel is so old looking and definitely not up to the Comfort Inn standards. There is a very weird smell throughout the entire hotel. I asked the front desk what it was. He said it could be primer since they are remodeling. Even though I did not find bedbugs (thankfully) I just itch because the place just does not feel clean (mentally). My room is not dirty but needs a lot of updating / repair. One of the bedposts was so loose that if I had not found it before going to bed, it could have fallen on my head during the night. There are trim pieces behind the door and wallpaper falling off the wall. Sheets are not good quality and very thin. Very poor representation for the company.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sherry H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I often stay at this property while visiting Dayton or while traveling to and from the Midwest. To begin with, the front desk personnel are top notch: very professional and courteous, and they go out of their way to help you. Upon my most recent stay, as soon as I told the clerk my name, he responded with: "Good evening, Mr. C_______. We have been expecting you. I see that you are staying for 5 nights and we see that you prefer the first floor." Even though this front desk clerk had never waited on me before, I felt that we had been friends for years. My room, as always, was large and comfortable. The bedding was excellent and extremely comfortable, and enabled me to get a very restful sleep each night. The bathroom, as well as the rest of the room, was extremely clean. I especially like the high speed Internet access. Besides a wireless wi-fi system, you can connect your computer to a hard wired Ethernet port. The result is lightning fast speed without the security concerns of a wireless system. The room had a high definition flat screen TV, and the local cable service provided many of the channels in HD. The complementary breakfast is also very good, especially the cooked-to-order waffles, and the scrambled eggs, biscuits, and sausage gravy. The property is currently being refurbished from top to bottom. Although I stayed in a room that had not been refurbished, the quality and appearance of my room was perfect. Management that cares so much as to refurbish rooms that do not really need it is a good indicator that they want the best for their customers. I plan to return to this property in the future, and I know my stay there will be perfect!

Room Tip: All of the rooms that I have stayed in are good. Rooms on the east side (front) of the building fac...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank John C
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable. Cleanliness is a higher priority to me than decor. The staff at checkin notified me about the ongoing renovation at the hotel. It is always good to see that a hotel is being well maintained. I am looking forward to coming back and seeing the improvements. The staff gave the best recommendation for dinner. It was a local Italian restaurant a few miles from the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Laura W
Plano, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed with friends at this hotel for the last 12 years. We attend the Dayton Hamvention every year (largest ham radio convention in the world). The rooms have always been clean. Beds have always been comfortable. Bathrooms have always been spotless. In the past 12 year, I have never encountered any "smells" or unidentified stains. Decorations were about standard for a motel of this class (the other commenter must have been comparing this hotel to the Ritz). One thing that makes me unhappy about this (and all the hotels/motels in Dayton) the rooms are (on average) double the normal price--this gouging is common for the convention and all the motels/hotels do it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank texbear21
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed November 16, 2012

If you're a construction worker or young single guy on a budget, great value. If you're with a lady, she'll be disappointed. Mrs. Teflon would rate this "unacceptable." While the front desk staff was exceptionally pleasant and accommodating, the place was old, beaten up, and smelled funky. Carpets and furniture are way overdue for updating. There's a cluster of hotels down to the south a bit in a mall area - wish I could remember the name - nicer & newer, plenty to choose from (Holiday Inn & many others).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrteflon
Pittsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Northeast while traveling to Ohio on business. As you'll see from the pictures, there really isn't a flattering angle for this hotel. It's a plain beige box in the middle of a parking lot, adjacent to another plain beige box (another hotel).

There are smoking rooms in this hotel, which may be a plus for traveling smokers but also means that the entire hotel has a noticeable if faint scent of "someone has smoked a cigarette nearby." It's not problematic but be aware that if you're sensitive, you'll notice it. As for smokers, well, you guys have rights too! An unfortunate swollen water stain was evident at the end of the first floor hallway.

The hotel is adjacent to a Tim Horton's and an overpriced Shell station, just off a major highway. Quite easy to find, If you are staying for a while, you might enjoy jogging or biking in the quiet residential neighborhoods quite close by. Take a right out of the parking lot, on a manicured sidewalk, and the next right after the overpriced Shell station is a nicely long and winding road with sidewalks all along. I've unicycled the length of the neighborhood and found it a highlight of the trip. If you prefer not to venture out, a small but well stocked fitness center is available inside the hotel.

The amenities, despite the somewhat daunting appearance of the outside, are comfortable. I was in a non smoking room with a King size bed, which had a nice sitting area with a chair and ottoman as well as a desk with chair. The large TV had an excellent picture, with a good range of basic cable options. Water pressure in the shower was very good, and the bathroom was quite clean. A small refrigerator and coffee machine were also in the room, and very handy. Other amenities include an iron and ironing board, as well as a safe.

The staff really make up for any drawbacks in the building's appearance. Very polite manager and staff, and even the night managers (often somewhat a step down in customer service) are quite congenial.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker, be sure to ask for a room which is NOT adjacent to a smoking room. If you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Illinois
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed in several Comfort Inns on our vacation, but this was a disappointment. It smelled like stale smoke everywhere, even in our non-smoking room. Bed and linens were fine, but decorations looked old. Breakfast was okay, but hard-boiled eggs weren't peeled and there was no way to wash them off after you peeled them. Desk clerks seemed disinterested in customers. Computer in lobby wouldn't work. Hallway and stairs were filthy; we mentioned this to desk clerk while cleaning personnel were still on duty, but nothing was done. Next time we will find a better place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huber Heights
Hampton Inn Dayton/Huber Heights
Hampton Inn & Suites Dayton-Vandalia
Drury Inn & Suites Dayton North
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Fairborn South
Comfort Inn & Suites Dayton
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North

Been to Comfort Inn Dayton - Huber Heights? Share your experiences!