“MOLD on the Ceiling!”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Huber Heights
Denver, Colorado
“MOLD on the Ceiling!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

At first glance, this hotel looks great. The lobby is nicely decorated, they have a great seating area, free cookies, and clean hallways. The rooms are also nicely decorated, with modern furniture and tasteful artwork. The cups are individually wrapped, there is shampoo, conditioner, and lotion, and a card listing what other complementary toiletries are available at the front desk. HOWEVER, my room had a damp, musty smell, and almost seemed like it had once been a smoking room that hadn't been thoroughly cleaned out. Then I looked up. The ceilings look like they belong in a rec center swimming pool room. They were stained slightly yellow (old smoking room?), had cobwebs all over them (large ones), and to top it off: there were LARGE patches of mold along the ceiling where it met the wall. Not one, small patch. Many LARGE ones. It was gross. My coworker's room didn't have the mold, but had everything else. Also, my bathtub was cracked and rusting around the drain (about an entire 3 inch radius). This wasn't a big deal - as it was still clean - but not attractive nonetheless. The bathroom didn't have VISIBLE mold on the ceiling, but there were a number of damp spots and water stains - doesn't make you want to think about what's on the other side of those tiles.

Also, there were not very many options for breakfast. There was cereal and small danishes, but there really weren't any "to-go" options for business travellers. This wasn't a huge deal, just something to note.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again. I would stay at the Hampton next door.

(P.S. My bathroom looked nothing like the one in the "professional photo")

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HiExpressHuberHgts, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dayton-Huber Heights, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Kingshimmers,
Please accept my most humbling apology in regards to your concerns with your rooms. After recieving your comments I will personally be looking into these items and putting a plan together to insure these items get resolved.
I want to thank you for bringing this issues to my attention. Again I hope that you will accept my sincere and heartfelt apology. We understand that it is because of guest like yourself; you are the reason why we are here. I know that we failed you and that is not exceptable. So as a whole; staff, management and ownership we will learn from your experience, comments and concerns and will begin to work on making the changes and the repairs needed. These repairs cannot be done overnight but we will develope the plan and begin working on it immediately.
I know that it will be difficult for you but I would ask that sometime in the future that you would pay us a visit so we can show you that we did learn from your comments and that you really do matter.
Brian McKenzie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 10, 2014

As a Platinum Elite member I was at first disappointed by the quality and appearance of the hotel. However the friendliness of the staff certainly made me feel at home. It is located within walking distance to Texas Roadhouse and several other eating establishments. Be aware that the beds are the almost like trampolines. I thought because they were so springy that I would wake up with a sore and stiff back. I was surprised that I slept well with no back issues. I would not rank this as one of my favorite HIE but I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HiExpressHuberHgts, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dayton-Huber Heights, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Edgemore,
I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. It is because of guest like yourself we learn and grow. I am sorry that your 1st impression of the hotel were not grand but I am glad that you found our charm. I assure you that our outside appearance is scheduled to change in the near future followed by the interior. It is my hope by telling you this that in the future you will give us the opportunity to serve you again and allow us the chance to become one of your favorite places.
North Baltimore, Ohio
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here from a day at the Air Force Museum in Dayton. Made reservations over the phone, no issues very helpful and friendly. At check in which was very smooth, the front desk person offered a few restaurant discounts to one place we were planning on going to, 10% off! Very nice! Got to the room, the 2nd floor had a smoke smell, but our room did not, room was labeled and booked non-smoking. Room was nice, plenty of towels, clean, the beds little too soft, have stayed ant other Holiday Inn Express with better beds. Good pillow selection if you did not bring yours. My daughter used the pool and hot tub, clean, pool towels avail. no strong overpowering chlorine smell. We did not do the breakfast bar, but I did check it out, good selection from what I saw, I have had Holiday Inn Express breakfast bars before and they were good as I am sure this one was. Dropped the rooms key/cards off and was told thank you for staying. Very friendly staff, all in all would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
HiExpressHuberHgts, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dayton-Huber Heights, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
I wanted to personally thank you for being our guest as well as taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel. We appreciate any and all feedback. We look at it as our report card and allows us to get a better understanding of our stregth and weaknesses. I am excited to inform you that we are already working on a way in hopes to clear up the smoke smell on the 2nd floor.
I hope that you will continue to think of us anytime you are in the Dayton area. If you ever need to speak to me in further detail about your stay please do not hesitate to contact us.
Brighton, MI
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I was coming from Columbus (on business) and had to stop due to bad weather. I have to admit, the staff was very friendly and welcoming. The hot tub and pool were very refreshing. I enjoyed the comp beverages and food given in the evening and the hot breakfast in the morning. The bed was very comfortable and the shower pressure was amazing. I would definitely come back again.

1 Thank BillyBrighton_MI
I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback in regards to your resent stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Dayton-Huber Heights. It is my hope and intention that every guest receives the same experience that you did. I invite you to return anytime your in the area.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This hotel is a must. It is located off I-70 and one mile from I-75 north Dayton and the location is walking distance from 9 restaurants. The staff is wonderful. Housekeeping staff is one of the best and the tip I left was not enough for the service they provided. Great staff in management and front desk. Caring staff with customer service in mind. One great stay during my days in Dayton. Please put this hotel on you list. Nicely located in a quiet area and very, very nice.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for those kind words and your feedback. I am very honored that we have been able to make lasting impression on you. If ever you are with us and we do not seem to be falling short of your expectations do not hesitate to contact me.
Again thank you for your comments, your feedback and most importantly being our guest.
Oregon, Ohio
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I was on my way to Florida, and saw this property on the IHG "Point Breaks" list. Upon checking (2/13/2014) in I was given a nice unexpected gift of 500 bonus points. Furthermore, I was upgraded to a executive room; which, I found to be very spacious. I enjoyed the pool and the stay 100%. Moreover, I would without a doubt recommend and stay at this property again. Truly a class act and shout out to Chris at the front desk. Made the check-in process seamless and couldn't have been more satisfied.

Room Tip: There is a nice BW3's (buffalo wild wings) located directly across the street if you are looking...
1 Thank Brandon B
I cannot tell you how gratetful and appreciative I am of your comments. It is my hope that every guest that walks through the doors has the same experience as you have discribed.
I would like to let you know that I am very grateful to you for taking the time out of your day to leave your comments. I do look at them as a grade card and I am glad that we were able to deliever the kind of experience that WOW'ed you.
On a side note we have passed along your comments to Chris along with a pat on the back. This is the kind of service I want everyone of my Desk Clerks to deliver.
We invite you to return anytime your in the area.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed while on my way to Indianapolis for the weekend. $95 (with the AAA discount) for the night and this is making the reservation on my phone 30 min before showing up. I was upgraded when I got there for free (woohoo platinum membership!). I was checked in quickly, the room was clean and decent sized. Employees were nice, complimentary breakfast, pool, workout facility and wifi. The location is good as it's right off I 70, so easy on and easy off for people passing through. Additionally, restaurants are close for food purposes

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Christine G
Thank you not only for your feedback but being our guest as well. We do value our Platinum IHG Reward Members as we do every guest but I am glad that we were able to show you by the upgrade.
I hope that if you are ever passing through again you will think of us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huber Heights
Hampton Inn Dayton/Huber Heights
Comfort Inn Dayton - Huber Heights
Drury Inn & Suites Dayton North
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Dayton North
Hampton Inn & Suites Dayton-Vandalia
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Fairborn South

Been to Holiday Inn Express Dayton-Huber Heights? Share your experiences!