“Great management, warm friendly and affordable!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Holland
Maryland
“Great management, warm friendly and affordable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

I travel back and forth to Ohio about every 6 weeks and everytime I stay here. First visit started off great. Management was very kind and respectful and since then they remember me and always welcome me back. My children have gone with me on different occasions and have enjoyed it too. It is very affordable and I will continue to stay here and recommend it to all.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank mittyrk
Peter M, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, January 28, 2017
Hello mittyrk,

I am very pleased to hear that you were happy with your stay. If you are ever in the area again we would love to have you stay with us. Thanks again and safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

was enroute from indiana to michigan..will stay again at this place..pretty decent for the price and excellent location

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank nari2
Dear nari2,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you were happy with your stay. If you are ever in the area again we would be more than happy to accomadte you. Thank you and safe travels.
Medina, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2008

I typically write my reviews a couple days after staying at the hotel, but I was so infuriated by my experiences here, and the lack of action following my stay, that I decided to wait six weeks to write this.

The problems began at booking. I "won" this hotel via priceline.com, but their priceline rate is actually more expensive than their prepay web rate. I believe this may violate priceline rules, but I got nowhere with both priceline and Econolodge.

At arrival, the infuriating treatment continued. The clerk, who was honestly doing the best job she could, informed me that she could only give my wife and I a full sized bed. I reminded her that as priceline customers, we were contractually obligated to receive accommodations for two. She seemed sympathetic and agreeable, but she said that she was under management's strict orders to only provide one full sized bed to priceline customers. She said that this would even be the case if we were a family of six. She said that she had absolutely no flexibility at all. I later watched her tell another customer, who wanted to change rooms, that she had no other rooms available.

The room was awful. When we opened the door, we were greeted with a faint but salient smell of urine. The furniture was worse (see pictures).

This hotel happened to be nearby the University of Toledo. My wife and I honestly believed that the furniture was garbage picked from a frat house on a moveout day. There were splash stains of mud all along the lazy boy. And then, we pulled back the comforters.

Inside the comforters, on the bed, were fresh pizza stains (see pictures). I later said, half serious, to a customer service rep at corporate that a starving man could have made a meal out of the pepperoni I found inside the bed. It gets worse.

My wife and I stripped the bedding off the bed, and used a sleeping bag I happened to have in the car. Exhausted, she fell asleep, but I decided to read a little bit before bed. While reading in the bathroom, cockroaches skittered across my foot. I covered myself in clothing, and went to bed.

The hotel had a continental breakfast room at no charge. That morning, we woke up 15 minutes before breakfast closed. We went down to check it out. When we got there, we found multiple individually sized containers of margarine laying on the counter with the lids peeled off. There was no ice, either, to keep them cool. Needless to say, flies were buzzing about. Even more astonishing is the fact that they had McDonald's labels- these had been evidently pilfered from an area McDonald's! I told my wife that I was running back to the room to get the camera. By the time I returned, it was after 10, and things were put away.

I did file a report with the Health Department. I also placed a call with corporate, as well as Priceline. In approximately a week, I received a letter offering me 25% off a future stay.

No thanks.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank Publius2003

Travelers are raving about these Holland hotels

Augusta, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

While the EconoLodge Airport is certainly not a luxury hotel, I found it to be a good bargain. Including all taxes. I paid just under $45 for my one-night stay. The Internet Users Rate on the EconoLodge website offered the best price by far.

The hotel is located next to I-475, but if you do not come in that way, it can be a bit challenging to find. AAA's guidebook describes it as being right behind a mall, but it would be better described as being behind a multiplex movie theater. Once I got there, I was a bit apprehensive when I saw the sign offering weekly and monthly rates; from my experience, that's not usually a good indication of a high quality place to stay. However, I have to say that I got a very good value for my money. The motel has two buildings (two stories each) and I was on the second floor of the building further from the office (I was told that this was an all-non-smoking building). My room was certainly adequate. The bed was comfortable, the hot water was plentiful, and everything in the room worked well. Things could be a touch more tidy on the grounds; I saw an empty beer can or two, but no major problems. There is a small outdoor pool, but it is necessary to go to the front desk and inform them that you want to use it (they then go and unlock the gate). I was very pleased with the wireless internet signal; the free Wi-Fi worked extremely well--much better than at many spendier hotels. There is a free breakfast in the hotel lobby, but it's subpar and served in a drab (though adequate) setting; if the motel were fuller, it'd be pretty crowded there (the motel appeared to be well under half full). The staff is courteous. Parking is ample and free.

Location: The name of the motel is a touch misleading if you think it means that you're within walking distance of the Toledo Airport. It's on that side of town, but it is at least several miles down Ohio 2 to get there. The setting is a suburban shopping area, and there are many stores and restaurants nearby. The closest of these are a furniture mall (across the street), a Sam's Club, the theater, and Target. Gas stations and a Kroger supermarket are just a bit farther and all are withing easy walking distance. Less happily, there is an active freight railroad running right behind the motel. I sleep with the fan on full blast so it didn't bother me, but others might be more annoyed by the sound than I was.

Overall, it was a decent stay at a very good price.

• Liked — Price
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Badgerjim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holland
Quality Inn Airport
Quality Inn Airport
#3 of 6 in Holland
Red Roof Inn - Toledo Holland
Extended Stay America - Toledo - Holland
Hampton Inn Toledo South Maumee
BEST WESTERN Toledo South Maumee
Courtyard Toledo Airport Holland

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!