“Best sushi in town”
Review of Spicy Tuna

Spicy Tuna
Ranked #4 of 59 Restaurants in Holland
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We came here for lunch because every other sushi restaurant in town was closed for lunch. I did not know that everything closed between 2 and 5. Well Spicy Tuna stays open, and I'm glad they were. The place is great!

Upon walking in the first thing we discovered was that the place is much bigger on the inside than it appears from the outside. The bar area was big and had a nice selection of liquor. The sushi bar was nice but it could have been larger. There were plenty of seating available at the sushi bar though. They have a lot of tables filling the rest of the restaurant so the place can really pack some people in, which means that you will not have to wait for a table.

The wait staff was very attentive and our sushi chef was very knowledgeable. We ordered three specialty rolls and some individual pieces. The first roll was the Kiss of Fire. It has pieces of jalapeño pepper on the top of each piece. The second was the Dancing Tuna. It has a great special sauce that is spicy on top. The third was the Tokyo, which was a light tempura roll. All three rolls were spectacular. The mix of ingredients were a perfect match. The individual pieces were yellow tail, salmon, red snapper, octopus, roe, eel, and eggs. All the sushi was top quality.

We finished off the meal with a couple of 22 oz beers. Our bill was about $75 but that was to be expected for 3 house rolls, 7 pieces, and 2 tall beers. They do have a lot of "standard" rolls for a lower price. Rolls like salmon with avocado, tuna, or other rolls you can get at most sushi places for around $8 a roll. We decided to try the special house rolls for our first visit.

They have a large menu with other options if you are not into sushi. I didn't really look at the menu for other things because I wanted sushi. Although I did glance at it to see if they offered Agedashi tofu. (they didn't) The next time we visit we may have to order off of the regular menu and give something else a try.

I noticed that a lot of people say this place is too pricy but I disagree. I think the rolls are priced well for the quality that you receive. The other menu prices may be higher (I didn't look really) but I think this place is trying to cater to the sushi eater. I think that everyone who is complaining about the price for the food are just too accustomed to cheap take out restaurant prices. If I want to pay $7 for a regular dish like general tso then I would expect to get a quality of China King or a buffet place.

This place is great and is now my favorite sushi place in town.

1  Thank travelhawk71

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We love the food at Spicy Tuna, but it is more expensive than the average Asian restaurant. The atmosphere is eclectic, and they have a big following for their sushi specials.

1  Thank LuanneinTtown
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Not your typical sushi joint. They have lots of other options on the menu! Recommend their Almond Boneless Chicken - it was great! Crab Rangoon as an appetizer is sure to please as well. Ambiance is more like a sports bar than a typical sushi restaurant, but it's still nice.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

This place has wonderful potential, however is very over priced for the food. A standard, average meal such as cashew chicken will run you over $10.99 PLUS $2 EXTRA if you want brown rice! For $2 you get a tiny mug size bowl of brown rice. If you ask for more it is another $2 and they will not budge on this. It is not even nearly enough for your meal. Sauces are pretty bland and basic as well. Spring rolls are tiny and not great. They actually do have a great drink menu but they are pricey. This place is always empty and it is because they have no clue how to satisfy their customers in my opinion. Servers are great there but must follow all of the silly rules. I will only go back maybe to have a drink.

1  Thank TooSmart
Reviewed January 19, 2012

As crazy as this may sound, the first thing that struck me about Spicy Tuna was how good it smelled! This is quite possibly the most welcoming restaurant I have been to in a long time. From the moment we walked in the door, the staff was incredibly friendly. The host was very cheerful and the waitress came to our table just enough (not one of those who come and talk to you when you have your mouth full!). The decor was very nice and it was so clean! There were a bunch of TVs too: this would be a great place to watch a game! The food was excellent too: not only was there wide variety of sushi options, but the full menu had so many options. Even if you don't like sushi there will be something here for you to eat. The prices were very reasonable too and there are nightly specials. Who doesn't love half off sushi? Something else that grabbed my attention: it was very busy the entire time we were there: for me, when it comes to going out for sushi this is a great sign. You know it's good when it's popular. The only downside is that this is a bit of a far drive for me; however, if you are in the Spring Meadows shopping area this is definitely a great place to come for a bit to eat and for a drink!