“Not great, just okay”

crostatas rustic pizza
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying I would come back to this place on the atmosphere alone. The decor and appearance of it make it look more upscale than just a pizzeria. The server was pleasant and offer suggestions but the service was a bit slow. She did apologize which was nice. I ordered a side of meatballs as an appetizer and that took awhile to get to us. They were good and hot but the sauce on the plate was room temperature but very tasty. We also ordered a sausage pizza with roasted garlic and it was just okay. It was cold and did not seem to have enough sauce or cheese but plenty of sausage and garlic (which I loved). The crust was a bit too thin and wet towards the center of the pizza. Having said this I will give this place a second try as this could just have been an off night.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Walking into this welcoming scene wakes every taste bud in your mouth. Tha atmosphere is quaint and casual. The decor is beautifully European. Stone enhances the atmosphere. That being said,I believe the scent of the fresh foods being created is the key. Everything here is created fresh and from scratch. The titles of each entree are in Italian but the descriptions are concise. Do not be afraid to explore the choices on the menu.you will find each to be better than the others.
My favorite is the zucchini planks lightly dusted with Panko. The grilled eggplant is also wonderful.all the pasta is homemade and delicious. Fish at a rustic pizza shop? YES fish the sea bass is tender and very flavorful. But I had the pan fried Cod and was not disappointed. The pork dish lightly breaded and served with a warm balsamic salad was exceptional also. Nice selection of wines. So I guess you get the picture! And oh boy the way the homemade pizza baked in a wood burning oven is great also. Plenty of creative choices or the basic choice. You choose.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I must have gone to Crostata's on a bad day. The service was sub-par for the amount of money I'm expected to spend on a pizza. We waited longer than usual for our beverages and didn't get the attentive service I would expect from a smaller restaurant like this. The pizza was good, but nothing overly impressive. I suppose because they are the only place with a wood oven around that people flock, but the rest of the menu was standard Italian fare. I expected more for the prices. I have nothing against paying for quality food but I just felt this place tried to be more than it is, which is a neighborhood pizza place. The food and service just didn't do enough to keep me coming back for more.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

These recipes are just like my little Nonna's! The best of Italy in the US!!
The wood fire thin crust Pizza is outstanding. The wedding soup is just as good as mine!!!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

After reading a positive review in the Feb 14, 2013 Sun Press, my wife and I decided to try Crostata's for ourselves. From our genuinely welcoming greeting upon entering to our departure two hours and five courses later, we couldn't have been more impressed. Brenda, our excellent waitress, suggested a bottle of their Sangiovese blend, which went well with our entire meal. We started with their hot banana peppers stuffed with home-made sausage: tender, delicious, light on the anise and just the right amount of heat. We then shared the house salad, a mix of fresh greens dressed with EVOO, balsamic and nothing else. Perfect. We then had the Pizza Margherita D.O.C.. with buffalo mozzarella. We were transported back to Italy, which was the last place we had such perfect thin-crust wood-fired pizza. After one slice apiece (the rest saved for home consumption), we then split a gently fried and sizable cod filet with a tasty fried cauliflower and cheese side. Sounds heavy, but wasn't. The cod was initially a bit undercooked for our taste, but Brenda took it back to the kitchen and brought it out shortly, cooked to perfection. Then came a cappuccino and a lemon-raspberry napoleon that has to be tasted to be believed. This was our first time here but it will definitely become a mainstay whenever we want a great Italian meal. Well worth the trip to Highland Heights!