“I tried to eat here”

Cuisines: Pizza
United States
“I tried to eat here”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have been eating here for a long time, and being in the military its one of the places on a short list of where to eat when I come home. I tried to eat here around Christmas/new years, went out there 5 times, everytime their hours said they were open but the doors were locked. There were people inside they just didn't bother to post a sign or come to the door.

• Visited December 2012
Glenna J, Owner at The Clay's Cafe & Catering, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Josh,
I apologize for your experience at Clay's Cafe during the holidays. Yes, we were closed as we always are during the week between Christmas and New Years. We are also closed the week of the fourth of July. In addition, we close on Labor Day and Memorial Day and every Sunday. This has been our practice for the last 16 years. We allow our employees to come in and do deep cleaning projects on our down time. There is always a sign posted on the door with our holiday closings and we post them on our web page and our face book page.
Over the years, we have found that it really doesn't matter what signage we post. We have tried putting a big sign out side the door and people ignore it. We have tried putting a sign on the door handle just to have people move it and try the door anyway. One year, we had the driveway resurfaced and it was taped off. We witnessed a customer step over the tape and walk to the door to see if we were open. We have tried table tents, messages on the receipt paper, answering machine messages, etc....
We are open to suggestions as how to better inform people. If you have any great ideas, please email me. Thanks again for your help. glenna@clayscafe.com

Thornville, Ohio
“Finally tried the Stromboli!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Last night we finally broke down and tried the Stromboli. We got a small and it is a good thing we did...we ate until we couldn't eat another bite (plus saving room for dessert) and still had some left to take home! A large would feed an army!! We also splurged and shared a turtle sundae. It was great! The place was standing room only on a Friday evening. They also have call ahead carry out. We have never been disappointed. Yes the service is sometimes slower but they make everything fresh , and hey, if you want fast...go to the McDonalds down the road. The staff has always been friendly to me. I like this place!

hamburg
“Nice small town place”
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

I eat here every so often , good burger joint and ice cream , good food great service and fair price , I never had a bad meal here worth the trip.

Thornville, Ohio
“A local jewel”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Clay's Cafe has something for everyone if you're looking for pod casual food and ice cream. The owners are friendly as is all the staff. I've never had anything there that has been less than excellent. On a cool Saturday their grilled cheese sandwich and vegetable soup hit the spot! I have heard the Stromboli is to die for, and the shredded chicken sandwich is excellent. I have personally used Glenna (the owner) for catering on three different occasions (baby shower, day after wedding cookout, adult birthday party) and have always been thrilled with the amount and taste of the food. Prices are very reasonable. Try it!

• Visited April 2012
Heath, Ohio
“The calzones!”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Their calzones are the best, my family comes here has that and ice cream everytime, no matter how full you are, you have to have the experience. Reminds me of a 50s diner. FUN!

• Visited April 2012