“Relaxing weekend”

Mansion Hotel & Spa at Werribee Park
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Werribee
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Mansion Hotel is a lovely place to stay - perfect for a weekend. It is about 20 or so minutes from Melbourne's CBD, so it makes for a great weekend away from the hustle and bustle of a weekend.

The Mansion itself is simply stunning - we felt like we were in the middle of Downton Abby when we stayed. The heritage rooms are tiny, but it is due to the building being heritage listed, so the structure of the building cannot be changed. Saying that, they are comfortable and tidy, and there is so much to do on the grounds, that we didn't stay in the room for too long.

The spa is fantastic - wonderfully relaxing massage with great staff.

The restaurant was lovely, although we thought the dessert servings were too small, and the gnocchi was incredibly bland.

Shadowfax winery was fantastic. It's a quick stroll from the hotel, and guests staying at the hotel get a free wine tasting. There was so much wine on offer, we barely needed to purchase one to accompany our lunch. The food was fantastic also.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, and include a lake, and rose garden. It's very romantic and peaceful wandering around the grounds.

On our drive out of the hotel, we saw a number of giraffes from the near-by open plain zoo, so it was a fantastic treat for the end of the stay.

Overall, the staff were excellent and very friendly, and the historical aspects of the hotel give it a very grand, romantic feel.

Room Tip: Heritage rooms are tidy - I would opt for a suite or larger style room next time.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cedric L, Guest Relations Manager at Mansion Hotel & Spa at Werribee Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear catMelbourne,

I am very happy to hear that you loved your stay with us!

Yes the Mansion Hotel & Spa is the place to relax.

I am looking forward to seeing you soon.

There are newer reviews for Mansion Hotel & Spa at Werribee Park

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Went away for the weekend with my two young boys 8 and 10 for my husbands 40th Birthday. It was Easter so the spacious room that we were staying in had Easter eggs layed out on the pillows. It was extremely clean and welcoming. The people at reception were friendly and helpful. A walk of the grounds was breathtaking. The mansion itself; fantastic! We did not eat in the restaurant (we have eaten there before and it is very overpriced) so decided to eat else where. After dinner we all went for a swim in the pool, which is beautiful. I didn't want the weekend to end.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suit which was great for a small family. If I was going there by myself with my husba...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lee799
Cedric L, Guest Relations Manager at Mansion Hotel & Spa at Werribee Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thank you very much for your beautiful review.

I am very happy to hear that you had a great time with us!

I am looking forward to seeing you back soon at the superb Mansion Hotel & Spa at Werribee Park.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I went to the Mansion Hotel & Spa three days ago for a family break.
Gorgeous park, very friendly staff, beautiful room...the lot ! They even have a Guest Relations Manager on the site. Nice French guy...
Because it was raining we all went to the gorgeous indoor heated pool. What a treat !!
My room had a private balcony overlooking the park. Very quiet !
There was even a pillow menu ! I felt like a princess...
The bathroom had a spa which my kids loved.
We were sad to leave but we will certainly come back !

Room Tip: Choose a suite. They are gorgeous!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JulietteT914
Cedric L, Guest Relations Manager at Mansion Hotel & Spa at Werribee Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Juliette,

Thank you very much for your beautiful review.

I am happy to hear that you and your family had a good rest.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you soon!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed in a heritage room which is small because the renovation had to keep the dimensions of the original rooms in this historic building so we accepted it was small and generally well designed given the space. The positives end there. The description of services in the room by the hotel and booking services wasn't accurate and what was available was disappointing. For example the TV. It is flat screen as described, but very small and 4:3 profile so that the broadcast picture didn't fit. The picture wasn't clear and only a few free to air channels were available. Also there were very limited cable channels. There were 3 radio channels on the tv but no other radio or cd or dvd player. There was no wifi access in the room as described in some places. There is access in the lobby.
There was no paper delivered to the room as described and if there was free bottled water we weren't informed.
There is no where in the room to sit and relax and so I looked for a lounge. There is seating in the foyer but when we were there that was taken up by customers of the adjacent bar. There is a small library with about 12 comfortable chairs but most of the day we were there it was used for a function and not available.
The pool and spa although looking beautiful in the hotel photographs is poorly maintained. The pool has several disintegrating tiles around the edge some with ragged edges and the debris is around the steps to enter the pool. There is scum above the water level all around the pool. The spa is an extension of the pool so the water is at the same temperature and generally a disappointing experience.
The restaurant is grossly over priced and pretentious but the staff were good.
The best thing about the hotel is the setting and the mansion and grounds and being able to experience that over 24 hrs made the visit worthwhile.
It's disappointing that it wouldn't take much to correct the issues I have mentioned and the management appears to be letting down a hardworking and caring staff.

Room Tip: Only choose classic room if just want somewhere to sleep. If it is special occasion go for superior...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cedric L, Guest Relations Manager at Mansion Hotel & Spa at Werribee Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear highst25,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
Thank you for the lovely comments you made regarding our very friendly and professional staff.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have any further comment.
In am looking forward to seeing you back.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The place on the whole really is beautiful.

When arriving, you are greeted by the friendly, smiling staff who give thorough explanations on the facility and are happy to answer any questions you may have.

Within a few hours you start to feel relaxed. The place is well maintained from the inside to the beautifully manicured gardens.

Be sure to visit the mansion which has amazing history attached. If you are a guest staying here, your admission is free; however I would suggest a small donation into the box near the cafe, which will help maintain the mansion and gardens.

If you are bringing small children into the mansion; make sure they are well behaved. The place really should be well respected.

The hotel is family friendly, but again, keep an eye on kids as people come to the place to relax and unwind and not listen to kids running up and down. This is no fault of the hotel, but a lack of parental supervision. If your kids aren't well behaved; don't bring them - simple.

The swimming pool and spa facility is a must and if you are having a girls weekend, it would be most suitable.

This weekend when I visited there were 2 weddings. What a magnificent place to get married. There are reception areas and the gardens are the perfect setting for an outdoor wedding.

There is a bar with reasonably priced meals and another restaurant next door if you prefer a more up market meal.

Werribee town centre is also not far away and there are a few restaurants, if you choose to eat out. There is also a Coles supermarket for those last minute things you may require about 9 minutes drive from the mansion.

I have been to the mansion hotel and spa twice this year and both times I found it to be 5 star service and quality.

I will be making this one a regular and hope you do too.

All the best.

• Stayed: March 2013
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank swans5

Dear Swan5,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.

I could not agree more : the Mansion Hotel & Spa is the perfect place to relax!

It was nice to see you again. We are all looking forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was impressed when I made a booking with the hotel. Our friends gave us a gift certificate for our 20th Wedding Anniversary.

We booked heritage room type. The room is small but nice & cozy, clean and well organise.

The weekend we booked was wet and cold weekend in March but there was no problem for us to explore the property. There were two weddings there, which was quite busy Saturday afternoon. We checked in and had a short walk to a winery after we browsed the beautiful mansion. The mansion well look after and maintain. We have been to the old mansion couple of time and still like visiting the place. It was too wet to go to the Zoo or the rose garden.

We amused ourselves play pool, enjoying wine at the bar then move on to a great dinner at Joseph's Restaurants.

Pity that we didn't get to use spa or swimming pool on this visit but always next time!!

Dear FallingRain123,

Congratulations on your 20th Wedding Anniversary!

I am very happy to hear that you had a great time with us.

Don't worry you will certainly find the time to use both the spa and swimming pool during your next stay.

Thank you again for your lovely comments.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Booked the zoo package as really wanted to visit Werribee Zoo and thought we'd make a weekend of it. Beautiful grounds although we were there during the Easter egg hunt so the place was packed with kids everywhere. Reception staff were all fantastic and very helpful.

We had a heritage room and I was a bit shocked by how small it was but as we were only there for 1 night wasn't too worried about it. Room was clean and functional though.

Zoo was great and the tour of the mansion was also really interesting and worthwhile doing. Unfortunately pool and spa were a bit of a let down - doesn't live up to the pictures on the website as it was quite sterile and the spa was a luke warm temperature.

Bar area was tiny and more like a cafe set up and always lots of kids in there. Also had to go and ask for someone to serve me a drink after waiting over 5 mins with no one around. Maybe it comes down to it being a busy Easter weekend.

Breakfast was ok - nice fruit and cooked food but supermarket bread and horrible coffee. Didn't eat in the restaurant as very overpriced but had a great Thai in Werribee. Restaurant looked like a nice place at dinner though - nice views over the grounds.

What really ruined the stay was the noise during the night. I think we may have been given the worst room in the hotel but all night all I could hear was staff (probably from the kitchen) clanking things, hosing things down, vacuuming, talking loudly etc. and this was between about 11pm and 2 am.

Overall it's a nice place but would not return if staying in a heritage room, at least not the same one as last time.

Room Tip: Heritage are small and try to be far from kitchen.

Dear Rosie 1207,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent experience at the Mansion Hotel & Spa. I am sorry that certain aspects of your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
Yes Easter weekend was very busy with over 8,000 children doing egg hunting in the park.
May I take this opportunity to thank you for the wonderful comments you made regarding our wonderful staff.
I am looking forward to hosting you soon at the superb Mansion Hotel & Spa at Werribee Park.

Guest Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Werribee
Werribee Park Motor Inn
Art Series - The Blackman
#12 of 160 in Melbourne
Quest Sanctuary Lakes
#1 of 2 in Point Cook

Been to Mansion Hotel & Spa at Werribee Park? Share your experiences!