“Pretty dull”

Churchill Island
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Phillip Island 3 Park Pass: Penguin Parade, Koala...
More attraction details
Owner description: churchill island heritage farm. Our Australian working Farm. Churchill Island is a uniqueeco tourism attraction. The beautiful island offers a range of farming activities and natural attractions..
Reviewed April 15, 2013

If you've never been on a farm it might be interest, however, we are from the US and a farming community and found it quite dull and a bit of a bore. We only went because we had some time to kill and bought the 3 park pass. The animals were mostly pet types like pet birds and guinea pigs or cows and chickens and horses. There is almost nothing to see if you go before the demonstrations start before 1. the demonstrations are cute for young kids but my daughter was 11 and had seen it all several times before like cow milking, sheep shearing, and blacksmithing. The only thing she wanted to do was the wagon ride which was closed but the wagon and horse were just sitting there. the property is stunning and the cafe was nice so we had a walk around and lunch which killed some time but was a costly time killer. The staff was friendly and pleasant to us. It's all outside in the open so if the weather is not nice your visit will be quite uncomfortable.

2  Thank Melody_L_1234
in 8 reviews
"farm experience"
"single lane"
in 4 reviews
"spent a lovely afternoon"
"san remo"
in 12 reviews
"wander around"
"great for kids"

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Churchill Island is a treasure of the VIctorian Gippsland region that many may ignore on their way to the bigger attraction of Phillip Island. Churchill has a long and elegant history, but more importantly, today it provides a window on the past for the children of today. Our excursion there recently, on a beautifully sunny April afternoon, was a real treat, and even though we had visited the Island previously, we still found features we had not seen before. After having an el-fresco coffee and lemon tart morning tea, we re-visited our favourite long-haired cattle who were having some issues with newly weened calves. The proliferation of the grey, Cape Barron Geese, was somewhat of a surprise as although listed as an endangered species, they appear to have made Phillip Island their new home. Roaming through the homestead and surrounding grounds offers children of all ages an opportunity to understand how the surrounding and larger, Phillip Island, might have been in earlier times.

1  Thank Denis C
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My family and I visited the Churchill Island Heritage Farm on 9-April-2013. We arrived around 1.45pm and after purchasing our tickets, headed straight for the farm area.

The first attraction we saw was the wagon ride. I proceeding to the queuing area but was told by the staff member in attendance (Jess) that the queue was closed. No worries, I walked away. However, as my family was looking at some of the farm animals near-by, I observed that the same staff member allowed other visitors join the queue. Independently, my 8-year old son observed this as well and was in tears asking me why 'the lady' did not allow us on the ride but allowed others, whom came later than us, join the queue.

I put this behind me and proceeded to the next activity which was the cow miking session. The same staff member (Jess) was running with this activity as well. After a quick introduction, she proceeded to organize a queue, starting from kids at the front row from the right. Waiting patiently in queue, my kids turn came up. To my utter surprise, the staff member explicitly singled my kids out by skipping over them. When I questioned her about it, she stated that she was starting from the front row. I retorted by stating that my kids WERE IN THE FRONT ROW and have been waiting patiently in line! However, my explanation fell on deaf ears as my kids (an eight and a six year-old) were left standing in the middle of the queue, confused and wondering why they were singled out. This did not happen to any of the other kids, even some whom jumped queue. My kids were eventually 'allowed' to milk the cow, right towards the end.

I hope my suspicions are wrong, but the one logical conclusion that I can derive is that that particular staff member was being discriminate against Asians. We were the only Asian family (at that time) queuing for the cow milking activity. As well, for the wagon ride, the people coming after us that the staff member allowed into the queue were Caucasians.

I have made an official complaint to the management. I spoke to a Mr [--], who was supposedly the Farm Manager. He promised to investigate and then call me back, but did not by the appointed time.

To say that this has sullied my visit to Phillip Island is a gross understatement. I hope that this type of discriminate treatment does not happen to anyone else in the future.

PS: To be fair we also had a decent experience with the other staff member (Matt) on duty during that day. Matt was leading the blacksmith demonstration and my son was mesmerized with how horse shoes are made.

8  Thank Pak-Tjun_Chin
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The day we went there was a Peppa Pig performance for the little kids, a farmer's market, a guy making balloon animals etc as well as the standard fare of the historical house and grounds, and demonstrations on everything from cow milking to sheep shearing to working dogs to blacksmithing etc etc etc as well as a petting area with baby animals that you can wander around without being hurried or herded by staff and the most amazing animals that you can just go up and pet including the calmest, most beautifully natured MASSIVE Clydesdale horse. Then there was a fully functioning restaurant/cafe and food stalls as well. All of this was in the most beautiful, tranquil grounds with sometimes 360 degree views from its position on top of this tiny island, with people laying about in the shade on the picnic blankets and obviously spending the entire day. For $11 per adult when you compare the value of this place to the Trout farm, Churchill Island is outstanding value for money, especially when you consider the much higher operating costs that a place like this must have.

On a day that isn't raining but is perhaps a bit too cool for the beach take the kids and plan to spend the whole day. I doubt you'll regret it.

2  Thank HappiestAway