“Not good !”

Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2012

It's good (therapeutic even) to have a bad experience occasionally because it makes you appreciate even more the many good meals out you have. I had the 'Wharf Seafood Bucket' consisting of battered fish, prawns, calamari and oysters with chips. Unfortunately the batter was soggy - obviously frozen food cooked in fat not hot/long enough. My wife's chicken breast in some kind of sauce tasted, in her words, like 'boil in the bag' food. Tasteless. The wine was OK, the capuccino good but we wanted so much more. Our worst meal in Tasmania.

1  Thank Tricky49
There are newer reviews for The Wharf Hotel Wynyard

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Ate here recently, the menu all looks very upmarket and appetising, however it falls short when it arrives at the table. Ordered the pub loaf which was doughy and not quite cooked. We were a party of eight and none of the meals arrived at the same time, some of the party were finished before others meals came out. My roast came out with three large slabs of meat on top of a few paltry vegetables, and the bottom piece of meat was tough and chewy. The meal was only just warm, and my fellow diners said that their meals were the same. One of my party ordered oysters kilpatrick, and they came with a slick of oil in the sauce. A man ordering drinks at the bar next to me asked for a scotch and coke, only to be told by the barmaid that they had no scotch. I understand this hotel is looking for a new chef, and I would suggest they need to lift their game otherwise customers won't return.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hmmm, I'd driven past this eatery many times and wondered what it would be like to have a bite to eat, and thankfully my husband suggested we try it last week and what a lovely surprise. Both of us ordered the stable diet of all Tasmanians (scallops) and they were lovely. The Wharf Cob Garlic Bread was an absolute delight and definitely worth having. The only comment I would make is that it is the first time I've had rice served that was slighly underdone (a bit crunchy) - but that might be the preference of the chef at the time. Otherwise, a really nice family friendly atmosphere and well worth the time out for a deliciously cooked meal

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Had dinner with our family here on a Saturday night. Good menu and wine list, and the food while simple pub fare was fresh and appetising, and beautifully cooked! Would happily come back for a meal, any time.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Have eaten here a couple of times.....food is simple but better than I would have imagined and reasonably well cooked