“Lucky Tasmania - amazing value for such quality fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Peppermint Bay

Peppermint Bay
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Woodbridge
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
london
“Lucky Tasmania - amazing value for such quality fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

How lucky is Tasmania to have a wonderful destination such as Peppermint Bay/The Stackings. I'm not sure the reviews make it clear, but Peppermint Bay is a complex not really described adequately by their website. When you arrive you can see the most beautiful, architecturally designed building with a gorgeous water view to the left and outside tables and benches. Enter the sliding glass doors and immediately you arrive at a strange little bottle shop set up. Great choice of Tassie and Aussie wines. To your left is the entrance to the Locals Bar, which is actually a cosy, upmarket bistro with an absolutely delicious sounding menu. On the specials board for the day was slow roasted venison which easily serves 2 people for $60. Great value I think. Continue down the passage and on your left is a huge dining room set up - barn like - with long rows of tables. On your right is the serving area for the kitchen and next on your left is The Stackings - the premium restaurant of the complex. At the time we arrived, this was an austere, classy room, very peaceful, beautiful view, not many diners and just perfect for a relaxed long lunch. (reminiscent of The River Cafe in Hammersmith).
When I tried to book a table for our little family of 4 (two adults two children) I made the mistake of asking if they welcomed children. The lady who answered told me, no children were not allowed. I desperately wanted to eat at the Stackings so I ignored her, rang back a day later and made a booking for 4 people for Sunday lunch. I was not asked whether we had children and the website makes no mention of this condition.
I had a speech all prepared for the shocked reaction when we turned up with the kids, but there was absolutely no problems and the two charming young men who served us for the entire meal were delightful to them and us. Because of the kids we chose the 3 course meal for all of us (the 2 girls shared a 3 course meal between them). We all loved the kingfish sashimi with pickled daikon and avocado puree. We then had a snapper with crab sauce and roasted buckwheat, and roast lamb with pea puree? (bit similar to the avocado) and greens. The dessert was sublime - strawberries and raspberries with goat creme, olive shavings and a strawberry jus. Not one mouthful was left by any of us.
We really appreciated the wine suggestions from our helpful waiters - we felt the service was absolutely excellent - not intrusive, present when we needed help and charming to the children.
A very memorable meal and we'd really like to return both to the Stackings and the Locals Bar next door.
I should mention there's a lovely large grassed and treey area right in front of the Stackings which is perfect for the kids to run about in whilst mum and dad enjoy their coffee and dessert wine. (I also felt the $60 for 3 courses was amazing value - I'm sick of paying $42 for a main course - like we did the other night at Garagistes for a piece of Wagyu steak.) 10 out of 10 for the Stackings.

• Visited December 2012

“Stackings - a disappointment.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

This restaurant is rated as one of Tasmania's best. It must have been having an off day when we visited. Of the two waiters one was disinterested, to be polite. He was the greeter and food waiter. The other, who served the wine was pleasant but spilled wine, had to be reminded to bring the initial drinks and we had to find our wine bottle and pour ourselves at one point.
The food was mostly tasty and well presented, except some of the goat (which replaced the lamb that was no longer available - and this on a set menu) was sinewy and indelible in some cases.
We won't be returning in a hurry

1 Thank Ph0000
Southport, Australia
“Tassie Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

My wife and I were initially attracted by the name of this place, and were expecting a little cafe in a bayside village. We were pleasantly surprised to see a modern architectural building with wonderful views and great food. We both ordered the eye fillet skewers with a splendid Moroccan pesto sauce, supplemented with delicious green veges and chips. The service was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. We will definitely return next time we are in Tasmania.

• Visited December 2012
Culburra Beach, Australia
“Great service, great food, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

A friend and I raced into the upstairs bistro en route to Bruny Island. We had to make the ferry at a certain time and informed the staff, who advised us of the best meals to order to minimize waiting time.
The service was of a standard not often encountered in Tasmania. The two waitresses who looked after us were very knowledgable about the wine list; I wasn't familiar with many of the labels but described several of my favourite drops and was happy with the glass of local Pinot Gris suggested by one.
We ordered a dozen oysters (outstanding) and shared a wood-fired vegetarian pizza that arrived bubbling hot, crisp and not overloaded with topping which is just the way I like it.
We made the ferry with time to spare. Would have liked to spend longer at the restaurant and will definitely leave more time next visit.
Would also like to try the highly recommended Stackings downstairs for dinner.

• Visited September 2012
Sydney
“Not up to the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

This complex is in a great location by the water. WOuld be good for fine dining special occasion restaurant but otherwise nothing special. Visit the cheesery nearby.

Visited December 2012