“A pie to wax lyrical about & other treats”

The Whitehouse Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Westbury
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A 19th Century wood fired bakery on the Village Green in Westbury. Everything we make is by hand using traditional methods, the best local ingredients and baked with love in our 135 year old wood fired oven.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Partner & I recently stayed at the fantastic Gingerbread Cottage in Westbury, so had recourse to the Whitehouse Bakery on a couple of occasions. That the bakery's output is produced in the original, wood-fired oven is nothing short of astonishing.
We sampled a pastie, a sausage roll (one each), a meat pie, & a fig & prune loaf (not all at the same time!), as well as coffees. Pastie & sausage rolls were excellent - pastry first class & the contents delicious. Fig & prune loaf was taken home & devoured at breakfast over a couple of days (well, we MIGHT have had a slice or two at other times...). For me though, piece de resistance was the meat pie. I hesitate to say that it was the best meat pie I have ever had, but it would have to be pretty close. Again the pastry was delicious & the filling a delight: along with the meat was an unexpected bonus of vegetables.
The Whitehouse Bakery is not really a place to go to dine: there is very little space inside to sit, a little more outside - which we made good use of as it was a lovely sunny day. It is however, a place to treat yourself to some wonderful breads & pastries.
The bakery is also adjacent to Westbury's Village Green - which might well have fallen out of the sky from England in the mid nineteenth century: beautiful specimen trees (with identification tags for botanical ignoramuses like myself) set in a lush green lawn. A fitting place to wander with a Whitehouse bakery pie, pastie, or whatever in hand.

1  Thank LordPeter

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I made a point of visiting Whitehouse bakery at Westbury because T.W. White, my ancestor, built the bakery before establishing a very impressive home, stable and outbuildings in the mid 1800's. I was not expecting such grand buildings or such a warm welcome, the owner and her assistant were delightful. I left with a tray full of cakes and a sourdough loaf that lasted for our weeklong trip in Tasmania: delicious and sustaining. I learnt that this bakery is one of the few in Australia that has operated uninterrupted for over 150 years.

Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful experience! Had read about this bakery on TripAdvisor and planned a foray there at the end of our day. Arrived after closing time and walked away disappointed only to be called back by the owner who let us in to buy our cob loaf, pies and pastie. Each was first-rate but the piece de résistance was the FREE sweet pastries he also gave us. We left with the biggest smiles on our faces and these only got wider as we ate them in the beautiful village green across the road. Only last month we had a similar experience in a little village bakery in Austria and we said "this would never happen back home" - well it did!! Thank you for a wonderful experience :-)

1  Thank Susan B
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I love the Whitehouse Bakery and staff. They are so friendly and helpful. They have even added a new chef to the mix, a French trained chef. Sounds deadly hay! The food is wonderful and so much to choose from. Knowing they are using fresh produce from the garden makes it an even more enjoyable.

1  Thank 166lisa
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have only heard wonderful things about this beautiful bakery , so I had to find out for myself what all the fuss was about. In all my years of eating pies I have never tasted a pie so authentic and rich in flavor , the wood fire oven really does make a difference an easy 10/10 rating from me and my partner , would defiantly advise tourists and locals too go and try a pie - Elijah

1  Thank Elijah18