“Never come back”

Pier01 Restaurant & Cafe
Ranked #2 of 40 Restaurants in Ulverstone
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Pier01 - Tasmania's North West Coast newest cafe, restaurant and function centre has been built on the Ulverstone Wharf and overlooks the majestic Leven River. The amazing scenery is matched by great food and service which reflects the quality and diversity of the local regions fresh produce. Drop in for coffee, a local ale or cider, lunch, dinner (Breakfast during the weekend) or book your function for groups from 2 to 200.
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Came in afternoon time, ordered 5 oysters and 2 pizza. The oysters are quite smelly even they claimed they were delivered yesterday. I don't understand how could they still sell them when the oysters are already turns green??! No matter when they r delivered, selling gone bad seafood is disgusting!!

2  Thank Abby G
Mathew W, Owner at Pier01 Restaurant & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

We are told to be positive when responding to Trip Advisor comments and that is what I try to do. We appreciate feedback and respect our customers right to critique our restaurant and the experience we provide. But there are occasions when one needs to be strong in their response and this is one of these occasions. To accuse my team of selling oysters that are not fresh is an attack on the integrity of my kitchen team that I cannot and will not accept. On the day in question we sold a large number of oysters, two tables ordering repeats during our Tapas afternoon and we received nothing but praise from our customers. The comments in this review are highly inappropriate and I would ask that people disregard this as both a malicious and fraudulent review of our restaurant.

In regards to our seafood we have oysters come in two to three time a week with 20 Doz coming in every Friday as explained to this guest .which was two days earlier not 1 as she stated. We go thru 30 to 50 doz oysters a week giving seafood no chance to go off.

Regards Mathew

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We called in to Pier01 on the spur of the moment after a long drive, without realising what a great fine dining experience we were in for.

The location on the water's edge was idyllic and the venue itself spacious and modern.

My colleagues and I tried a few different mains and desserts and were blown away by the freshness and taste of the mainly local offerings. Each meal was presented with artistic flair and creativity.

We did have to wait a while for our meals but this was probably a good thing as the portions were generous, so a wait between main and dessert was not a problem.

If we're ever travelling this way again, we will definitely be back.

2  Thank chocolatelibrarian
Mathew W, Owner at Pier01 Restaurant & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Thank you for your positive comments - my staff do so appreciate these comments and my kitchen team were particularly pleased with your positive comments. We do hope that one day you return to Ulverstone and drop in to say hello - regards Mathew

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We visited on a summer's evening and were treated to great displays by nature (the river, the sunset) as well as by the local youngsters (diving from the wharf). We sat in the perfect spot in the open window and with a bit of tweaking of blinds managed to avoid the glare.

Initial greeting and service were spot on but we did have to chase up some water after 10 minutes or so. This may sound easy but Pier 01's restaurant is a vast space and even semaphore to wait staff wasn't observed, so after a walk over to bar the matter was dealt with!

Entrees were scrumptious - pork belly (possibly the best that has been had in Tas and plenty has been had!) and a fried seafood platter with tasty scallops, crunchy yet tender calamari and crisp prawns, each with their own accompaniment. The little heap of smoked salmon did seem out of place.

Mains were gnocchi - tender, full of fresh goodies but perhaps a little salty (lots of olives) and duck, which after the sensational pork belly was disappointing because of a lack of flavour. Duck can be like that!

A great evening with good service after the initial water drought. We'll be back.

1  Thank helsaAustralia

Thank you for your positive feedback which I have shared with my whole team. Whilst it was great to get your positive comments about our service and meals there is no greater compliment then to have you say you will be back - we look forward to you coming back, Cheers Ian

Reviewed January 30, 2014

My husband and I had the pleasure of having pier01 host our wedding in the gnomon room. Everything went perfect starting the night before when we were able to come in and set everything up the way we wanted and go over all the arrangements for the next day. Following setting up we were offered hot drinks or cold drinks which was a nice touch.
At the actual reception everything went great and the service was professional and quick. We needed to delay the entree due to lost handbags and delayed speeches, there was no problem in the staff being flexible with this. All the meals were excellent and we have gotten many compliments about the exceptional food. Even though there was another wedding in the next room, when the music went up for dancing you couldn't tell and we didn't here anything from the other wedding all night.
The next day my family decided to go back to pier01 for lunch and again the staff were fast and the food came quickly and was as tasty as the night before.

We would like to say thank you and well done to mat, Ella, Ian, and the team at pier01 for creating such a lovely resturant.

Skye - we are something of the new players in the wedding reception space but we know how important these days are and we are committed to getting it right, or at least working with the bride and groom and their families to make the day as special as we can. It is an honour to be a part of your special day and we thank you for allowing us to be a part of your day. I hope you have a wonderful life together - Mathew

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Pier01 what can I say we booked our work dinner and then our break up afternoon, we where treated like royalty amazing serives and food. Will be coming back for sure. Thanks to Ella and her team for everything.

Mathew W, Owner at Pier01 Restaurant & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Hi Michaela - thank you for your positive feedback - we all work hard to provide a quality dining experience and is great to be able to share positive feedback with my team. Look forward to seeing you again - cheers Mat