“Have you caught the worlds largest freshwater lobster”

Tasmanian Giant Freshwater Lobster Expeditions
Qld
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Have you caught the worlds largest freshwater lobster”
Reviewed January 26, 2010

Many years ago I saw a histroy doco on Tassie, in it was the first pioneers and how they used the land and native animals to survive. The Tasmanian Giant Freshwater Lobster (Astacopsis gouldi) was one of these animals and it is HUGE !!! Also the DPI&F placed a complete fishing ban on them in 1998, for protection, so people can't catch them.
When I got to Tassie (15 yrs later) I took a trip with Todd (who has a permit) into the North Eastern forest of Tassie to catch these massive creatures.
They are known to get up to five kilograms in weight and over 80cm long. Todd took me into one of the most beautiful forests that I have been in (anywhere) and we caught heeps of them, not all huge but most were around 3kg+. Once caught they are taged and released with all the info going to help conserving the species.
So if your into fishing, bushwalking, conservation, natural science or going some place and doing something most people will never get to experience, This is it, for sure.

10 Thank kboody