“Pretentions plus”

Meredith House and Mews
Ranked #1 of 8 Swansea B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 9, 2010

At $200 a night this is not luxurious or value for money. The advertising is good but the reality is not up to it. I don't think that having a cheap decanter of port/sherry? and 2 glasses on the table is attractive and is most likely against health regulations. The accomodation in a separate modern wing is just like an ordinary motel. The sumptuous breakfast is not well cooked and the basket of muffins looks like yesterdays.
View - glimpse of sea.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CK61
macneal, Owner at Meredith House and Mews, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2010

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you felt that our establishment did not live up to its advertising or your expectations. I feel however that I need to address a few issues mentioned in your review. Firstly, the decanter of Port in the rooms is a complimentary gesture that most of our guests enjoy; it is neither cheap nor against health regulations.

Our Mews accommodation is nothing like an ordinary motel room; most of guests comment on how well appointed the rooms are, and compliment us on the fact that they are 'homelier' than a standard motel room.

We get up at 4:30 a.m. each morning to bake muffins, brioche or Croissants for breakfast; therefore I cannot see how you would be given yesterdays muffins as any leftovers are given to our chickens.

Lastly, the room you purportedly stayed in is not advertised as having sea views; the rooms that have a sea view are advertised as such (Queen Room Bay View), you were never promised a sea view, so it is beyond me why you would find fault with this aspect of your stay.

There are newer reviews for Meredith House and Mews

Reviewed April 7, 2010

Our stay at Meredith House and Mews was made all that much better by the wonder ful hosts, Noel and Neil. They made us feel welcome, were helpful and not short on advice and sharing local information.
The rooms were comfortable, clean and quite, we slept like logs.
The breakfast certainly lived up to its reputation, freshly squeezed juice, bircher muesli and a yummy cooked breakfast that set us up for the day.
This is the place to stay in Swansea, without a doubt!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I recently stopped in at Meredith House on business. It was a busy day for me. My hosts made me feel completely at ease and welcomed in their home. A great night's sleep and I was ready to charge off again. Five stars!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank mistergumby
Reviewed March 11, 2010

Our very friendly and welcoming hosts were the highlight of our short stay here in Swansea. My travel companion has coeliac disease and we were surprised and delighted when we arrived to find the owner had gone to the trouble of baking delicious gluten free muffins and bread especially for us! The whole house smelt like fresh waffles. Short walk to impressive seaside restaurant "The Banc".

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank courtneyjane
Reviewed March 10, 2010

I chose Meredith house for some very specific reasons.

1) Location - quiet township walking distance to good restaurants. Perfect. Down the hill and into Ebb - highly recommended restaurant, totally worth the trip!

2) My first stay in a real B&B - I stayed at a bad time. Hosts were more concerned with their own affairs at the time and I felt like an intruder. Breakfast was almost inedible (warmed over, dry and unappealling). Don't think they should have accepted the booking when they couldn't offer the quality of hospitality one would expect from a traditional establishment.

3) Fire & spa in room with a garden area - I got all of this in the downstairs room. The room itself was old worldly to the point of disrepair. So full of "things" it felt stuffy and cluttered. The fire was terrific, but I couldn't bring myself to even think of using the spa (it seemed very grotty). There was a door to the outside world and while it had a pleasant country aspect it was right next to the kitchen area and I could here the conversations and bangings around of the hosts.

I am sure by all the other reviews that under normal circumstances this would be a friendly place to stay, I think I just had bad luck...

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank excell
macneal, Owner at Meredith House and Mews, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2010

We're sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to Meredith House, we always try to make out guests welcome, without being too intrusive and would never make anyone feel like an intruder.
There are a number of inaccuracies in your review however which make me doubt its veracity:

1. You state you booked with solo traveler, and although we used to list with them, we have never had a booking from them.
2. On checking our records we found that we had no single travelers staying in that room in May 2009
3. The room is not in fact next door to the kitchen, there is another room and a hallway between that room and the kitchen.
4. Old Worldly? it is a heritage listed B and B, the room is decorated to reflect and complement this.

We would have welcomed the opportunity to address your concerns at the time of your stay, not almost a year later.

Reviewed March 4, 2010

We had a very pleasant stay last week at Meredith House. We have come to expect truthful and exact reviews from Trip advisor over the years having used this site for many trips here in Australia and overseas.
Swansea is a quiet seaside town on the East coast of Tasmania. Meredith House is well positioned up on the hill and we had a nice view of the water from our bedroom window. Our room was just as the picture depicted (the red room on the upstairs floor) and the decor was befitting of such an old building (150 yrs old???).
The shower was small as mentioned in other reviews but adequate.
Breakfast was plentiful with lots of homely touches. We enjoyed our stay but wonder why we were not offered homemade cake as per the previous review as it appears we were staying at the same time!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BuckBrisbaneAus
Reviewed February 26, 2010

We stayed in the original house not the units next door for 2 nights. The bedroom was spacious and had a good ensuit. It all well heated and tastefully decorated throughout the whole house.
Free internet connection was an unexpected nice touch to check my emails.
Really, i couldn't fault our stay there. It was superb. The hosts , Neil and ? were friendly but unobtrusive. They directed us to a number of good places to eat whilst also providing a great breakfast. The view from our upstairs room over the water was quite nice and it was a short walk down the road to see the sights of Swansea.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank slatsMelbourne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swansea
Piermont Retreat
#2 of 8 in Swansea
Hamptons on the Bay
Hamptons on the Bay
#3 of 8 in Swansea

Been to Meredith House and Mews? Share your experiences!