I chose Meredith house for some very specific reasons.
1) Location - quiet township walking distance to good restaurants. Perfect. Down the hill and into Ebb - highly recommended restaurant, totally worth the trip!
2) My first stay in a real B&B - I stayed at a bad time. Hosts were more concerned with their own affairs at the time and I felt like an intruder. Breakfast was almost inedible (warmed over, dry and unappealling). Don't think they should have accepted the booking when they couldn't offer the quality of hospitality one would expect from a traditional establishment.
3) Fire & spa in room with a garden area - I got all of this in the downstairs room. The room itself was old worldly to the point of disrepair. So full of "things" it felt stuffy and cluttered. The fire was terrific, but I couldn't bring myself to even think of using the spa (it seemed very grotty). There was a door to the outside world and while it had a pleasant country aspect it was right next to the kitchen area and I could here the conversations and bangings around of the hosts.
I am sure by all the other reviews that under normal circumstances this would be a friendly place to stay, I think I just had bad luck...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meredith House is a heritage listed 1853 property located centrally in the beautiful seaside town of Swansea on the east coast of Tasmania, the perfect base from which to explore the Freycinet Region and all it has to offer, including Wineglass Bay and Maria Island. 11 en-suite rooms, four with spa bathrooms. Full breakfast is included in the tariff. Meredith House is renowned for its excellent service; we were voted the Peoples Choice at the 2006 Tasmanian Tourism Awards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Meredith House and Mews reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Meredith House And Mews Swansea, Tasmania