“A business clearly loved by the owners”

Meredith House and Mews
Ranked #1 of 8 Swansea B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 13, 2013

The establishment is as you see in the photo's, that is, extermely well presented and maintained. It's so nice to read the history of the property and know that the current owners are like a pair of proud parents and have every intention of maintaining the uniquieness of the property. Our room was in the extension to the main building and furnished in keeping with the decor of the main house. Just lovely in every way. Yes, the breakfast was the best (and more) home cooked breakfast I have ever experienced. eg. the home made croissants, muffins, fresh juices, jams, mushrooms, bok bacon etc, etc, etc, Well done to you both. I'd definatelty go back.

Room Tip: The rooms in the extension are self contained units and add the quaintness to the whole experience.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Enjoyed 2 nights here in Swansea. It's a good stopping off point on the east coast of Tasmania. The place is quaint and simple. Innkeepers Noel and Neil are quite accommodating and helpful. Breakfast is included, and everything is homemade. Would recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We have stayed in many b & b's and this tops the list for breakfast! Noel and Neal are great hosts and do everything possible to make our stay an enjoyable one. I cannot say enough about Meredith House.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisNSW.Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Not to belabor the point, as other reviewers have said the same thing, but Noel and Neil REALLY outdo themselves with the breakfast. My lady is gluten-free, and they went above and beyond to ensure that she was more than well fed with homemade GF goodies.

The house and gardens are lovely, and our room (not in the main house, but in the extension) was well appointed and looked after. Every little creature comfort you could want or need was present.

We were in Tasmania for a week on a cycle tour and got to stay in many inns and B&Bs and hotels, and Meredith House was easily the best.

Swansea is a quaint little town too. Can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed at Meredith House for 2 nights in November 2012 while visiting the Freycinet National Park. The park is about a 45 minute drive north of Swansea. I chose Meredith House after reading the reviews on TA. I booked a Mews room and was warmly greeted by Lulu and Noel. It is the best parking situation I have ever encountered - I was able to back the car right up to the door and easily move my suitcase the 2 feet into my room. The restaurant recommendations were spot on.
The breakfast here is to die for! I have to say that it was the most memorable breakfast I have had in all my travels and the best part is that it was gluten free. Usually when you eat GF while travelling you get a few pieces of stale bread that has been defrosted and tossed in a toaster that was used for non-GF toast. Not here. Fresh GF muffins and bread made that morning and a designated GF toaster to make toast. It may seem silly to some but for those of us who have to eat this way it means the world. The hot GF porridge, fresh fruit, and hot cooked breakfast sets you up for the day. The extra muffins were available to take to sustain me throughout the day and they kept me going on my 8 mile walk around Freycinet NP. Noel was nice enough to share the recipe and baking tips for the muffins which I have yet to make. (still trying to exercise off what I ate there!!) I hope to return to this part of the world sometime soon and will most definitely stay here again. I had a serious case of the Folsom Prison blues as I drove away... :-)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank hallowoman
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We trolled up late having spent the day enjoying ourselves and got a bit of a telling off as all the restaurants in Swansea (and pretty much the rest of Tassie) shut early, but no problem they sorted us out a great dinner location and sent us off to enjoy it, well done.
The house itself is a great place to stay with good sized comfy rooms, marvellous breakfasts with take away bags just in case the calorie count drops before lunch. Lots of local knowledge and history which we found very interesting and a pair of really cute dogs.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Noel and Neil are a quirky pair, who reminded me a bit of Oscar and Felix. The main house, where I stayed, was a Victorian building with period furniture - the rooms and furniture were in generally good shape, and the bed was very comfortable. As many reviewers have noted, the breakfast is very good, and the breads were wonderful. Swansea is a nice oceanside small town, and it is a relatively short drive to the entrance to the Freycinet National Park. Noel provided a lot of advice on where to go and what to do in the area, and cautioned me about what was open because of the recent brush fires that impacted eastern Tasmania. He also is a history buff, who filled me in on many interesting historical facts about Tasmania and the local area. Fast wireless Internet is a nice feature of Meredith House. Guides in the rooms listing all the local attractions and describing all the local restaurants, with menus, were nice to have available. Overall, this was a comfortable, pleasant, altho not fancy, place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swansea
Piermont Retreat
#1 of 5 in Coles Bay
Freycinet Waters
Freycinet Waters
#3 of 8 in Swansea

Been to Meredith House and Mews? Share your experiences!