“Cute and Quirky”

The Ugly Duck Out
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: After 11 1/2 years The Ugly Duck Out has CLOSED. This cheerful diner catered for dietary requirements and for those that wished to reduce their environmental footprint. The "ecotarian" menu promoted the benefits of this style of dining, exploring the link between the food we eat and its source. Ethically and environmentally sustainable produce was the foundation for honest, award winning preparations that were in harmony with the season. Gluten-free, low FODMAP and vegetarian diets were easily catered for. Our onsite produce garden ensured fresh produce and the kids play room was fun for both children and parents. The Ugly Duck Out was an awesome experience.
Melbourne, Australia
“Cute and Quirky”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

After a long drive from St Helens to our accommodation Freycinet Waters in May 2013, we just wanted a quick meal from the closest place we could walk to instead of driving.

The Ugly Duck Out was literally almost next door so that was an easy choice. Being almost winter, it was quiet and we were the only ones there when we sat down.

I used to have an obsession to try Marinara Pasta every new place I dine at and this place was no exception. I loved the owner/chef's manner - she came across as a person who is very conscious of her surroundings, her carbon footprints and you could tell that she loved every bit of ingredients that went into the food.

I (sillily) asked for a Sauvignon Blanc (yes, I know, in late May! A bit like ice-cream in winter) and she had openly told me that because it was off-peak and winter season, the whole bottle would go to waste and would I be persuaded to have a red instead?

I really appreciated her honesty and I am not one of those who would try to make things difficult so I went with her suggestion and it was a good thing, because that glass of shiraz warmed me up almost right away!

My pasta was really delicious and just tasted of good home-made flavours.

I would definitely head back there again if I was in Swansea, though, maybe try summer time as there will be a galore of seasonal produce which I know they will really, make the most of it.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank lenylee

UK
“Comprehensive menu - great for veggies and carnivores alike !”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I was surprised at the number of indifferent reviews on Trip Advisor. The owner has a passion for serving meals from local ingredients and we had lovely meals. Loads of choice - great wine etc.

I see some negative comments regarding opening times. Get real people this is Tasmania in the winter season and there are virtually no tourists around. Essential to book with as much notice as possible - no point in turning up at 8pm and then whingeing because it has closed !

• Visited June 2014
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
“Most accommodating!”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I went there because they advertised gluten free and I am intolerant. I had gluten free batter on my fish - I had fish and chips and salad. I must say, it is one of the healthiest restaurants I've ever been to, they had so many choices for GF, vegan, vego, lactose free etc. Also wine choices included organic. The chips are cooked in rice bran oil and were very tasty if not that crispy! They grow a lot of their own produce and the salad was incredibly fresh and generous. The fish was OK, but I think I prefer to risk indigestion with real batter!! Someone came in while we were there who was intolerant of almost everything and one of the girls took ages patiently working out what she could have!!! Lovely people!

• Visited June 2014
“Great food ”
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

This place had very reasonably priced food, and it's great. It could do with some music and better lighting, then it would be perfect.

Thank 1969woodieable .
Coffs Harbour, Australia
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We finally found a breakfast cafe that serves great coffee. The menu includes bacon and eggs from free range animals and it certainly shows in the flavour.
Friendly greeting and great service from one of the owners.

Visited May 2014