“Average Buffet”

View 42° Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #3 of 11 Restaurants in Strahan
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Set on the hilltop overlooking the village and harbour, View 42° Restaurant and Bar offers superb views and a sumptuous dining experience. Start your day with a delicious breakfast accompanied by a glorious outlook over the sea. During summer, you can enjoy the tempting offerings from the seasonal buffet, featuring the freshest seafood available. The restaurant features a selection of Tasmanian wines, and our cellar showcases fine cool climate vintages.
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Husband and I had the buffet and although he was happy enough with it, I was disappointed with the selection. A lot of fresh seafood was in my opinion spoiled by strange ingredient choices they stuffed them into. Fresh calamari was put into a noodle salad with coriander, so the coriander was all you could taste. Totally ruined it. Fresh scallops were put into a sort of Waldof salad. Again, why couldn't they have been just by themselves? It didn't really work in the salad. Roast vegies were great, but for a $55 buffet, it was fairly average and uninspiring.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We had been told this was a representation of the best seafood Strahan had to offer.....I really hope this is not the case!

The oysters were horrible and I have never tasted prawns that were so salty.....and this was pretty much the best of the seafood....yuk.

Based on the bad seafood on offer my husband and I then opted for the other options.....wrong move....the 'chef''s special' was unrecognisable as any dish that we had every seen before and the cold food wasn't much better.....we finally gave up when my husband found a long black hair wrapped around a turkey slice.....which the 'chef' told my husband must have fallen off a patron! When asked how it got wrapped around the slice if this was the case the 'chef' had no response and just took the food back to the kitchen.....gross

2  Thank MarkandRoni
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We are not really into buffets, but the restaurant was recommended. We did not like the choices on the buffet and the quality was not the best. The prawns were tasteless, the whole fish was too picked over to get a nice piece. The only thing I enjoyed was a Chinese dish. We had to wait way to long to get someone's attention to order a bottle of wine. AND all of this for $50.00 per head - way to pricey for what you got. Never again.

1  Thank Baldur13
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The best thing about this restaurant is its magnificent setting where both the balcony (where we had drinks beforehand) and the restaurant windows overlook Strahan harbour and its fascinating mix of small and large craft. The main feature is an amazing buffet - $53 a head so very reasonable given the quality and the quantity. Best were the oysters, prawns, thai fish cakes, Vietnamese beef rolls and loads of different salads. Less successful was the choice of hot food - the beef looked as if it had been in its sauce too long, and the pork curry + calamari (!) had way too much chilli. Great restaurant service.

3  Thank notacouchpotato
Reviewed March 24, 2014

the seafood was very fresh and tasty with plenty of variety. There were other fine food for non seafood eating patrons all backed up by friendly service

4  Thank Ted D