“Great views....but”

Wheelhouse Apartments
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Top marks for position and views. But in many other ways the houses are average at best. The quality of the bed linen, pillows and towels was frankly appalling and certainly not what you would expect at this price. And the design is certainly not to our taste - why have a toilet in the bedroom with no door?? And a spa in the bedroom so deep you can't see out unless you're very tall! And no heating upstairs in the bedroom - boy will it be cold in the winter. Upstairs shower area is cramped with a big bathroom down stairs - which as reported are spiral, steep and very creaky.

Breakfast was underwhelming. We stayed three nights and there was only two mornings worth of breakfast in the fridge. A promise to top it up for the third night did not eventuate.

No dishwasher - no dryer, and a clothes basket full of wet sheets in the laundry cupboard.

All told not our idea of a quality apartment. Apart from the view of course, but you need more than that.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank grangeview
There are newer reviews for Wheelhouse Apartments

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were a bit disappointed with the apartments. As a recent reviewer said, the attention to detail is missing.I think the presentation lacks love. If it weren't for the view I would have rated it an average, as we stayed at two other luxury accommodations in NW Tassie at similar cost but they gave you that truly wow experience you would expect from this type of accommodation. While it may sound a bit nitpicky, I think at this end of the cost scale you are entitled to expect certain standards.
Firstly the apartment was listed as 2 bedroom and it is not. There is a fold out couch in the lounge, that is not a second bedroom. It didn't really matter to us but it was a misrepresentation. There's a full (large) second bathroom downstairs which wastes space. Kitchen was well equipped. Breakfast is continental only (our other 2 were full) and consisted of packets of Sustain, OJ (bottled), basic teas, no hot chocolate, grainy bread, full cream milk, sachets of jam honey and vegemite, butter. I dont drink tea or coffee, my husband only drinks Twinings, neither of us like grainy bread and we use skim milk. They could have asked possibly what we would prefer? Found some white bread in the freezer luckily. No dishwasher. The staircase up to the bedroom is spiral and very creaky. I wouldnt recommend this accommodation for anyone with any sort of arthritis issues (which I do) or mobility problems. The bed was OK but not overly comfortable. My biggest disappointment was the linen. I love good quality linens and have reasonable ones at home but always enjoy the luxury of high quality linen when going on getaways. As mentioned by others the linen was not good. I initially suspected the linen was dirty but I think it was just old and poorly laundered. Threadbare sheets had some small blood stains on the bottom sheet where I had to sleep and were crumpled and univiting as were the pillowcases.The towels were also very worn and small, like drying yourself on a handkerchief. The TV downstairs was missing half the channels so we thought they were not available in Strahan. On our last night I turned on the upstairs Tv and found it had the other channels but we had missed a few shows we wanted to see. I also agree with a former reviewer. i don't like a toilet without a door even if I am with my husband. And the roof of the said toilet is about 5ft 5" so beware if you're tall!
All that said the view is mesmerising and it's such a lovely place. Some new linen and towels and a few dollars for bacon and eggs, just a few of those extra loving touches like a little dish of chockies or a flower in a bud vase and this place could be 5 star.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bronnykay
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed a couple of nights in the Wheelhouse 2 bedroom apartment. The views are absolutely outstanding and the innovative architecture certainly makes the most of them. Our family had a great time in Strahan (thoroughly recommend hiring sleds and visiting Henty Dunes). There is however something lacking in the place. The care factor doesn't seem to be there - breakfast provisions are very light on (and not great) and the linens slightly shabby. We stayed in less expensive and equally beautiful places on our Tasmanian trip which offered more in the way of comfort value and style.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sally M
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I simply cannot overstate the incredible experience that staying at the Wheelhouse was. We were in apartment 1 which was a 1 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment with the most incredible views that we have ever had in accommodation. All facilities were clean and well maintained and there was everything we needed for a comfortable stay. We had planned to dine out in Strahan for dinner but once we saw the spectacular views we decided to cook in the well appointed kitchen and we were so happy we did - the sunset views over Macquarie Harbour from the downstairs living area were breathtaking and offered changing perspectives on the bay in the softening light of dusk. I had been a little concerned when we first arrived at the Wheelhouse that we were away from the main village (a 5 minute drive or 10 minute walk) as there was a lot of accommodation right on the main street of Strahan Village itself. However, none of the other accommodation we saw could come anywhere near rivalling the experience we had at the Wheelhouse. This was definitely the nicest accommodation we stayed in during our 8 day trip around western & southern Tasmania.

Room Tip: Both apartments have the same amazing view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lauretta H
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I would probably rate this as the best place to stay in Strahan - lovely self-contained house with amazing views over Macquarie Harbour. Well set up and furnished. We were a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) and there was plenty of space for all of us. The upstairs bedroom in particular, has stunning views and was extremely comfortable. A little set apart from the main action in town (which makes for a peaceful setting that suited us very well), but still close enough to walk down to restaurants, cruises and (must do activity) to see the Round Earth Theatre Company's production of 'The Ship That Never Was'. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2012

There's everything to like and nothing to dislike here at Wheelhouse. From the friendly welcome (thanks Mel) to the well stocked kitchen, luxurious bedroom, trendy staircase and, its best feature, the truly awesome outlook over Macquarie Harbour, this place just puts a smile on your face. It's the perfect place to relax, drink wine, get totally lazy or, if you prefer, go do some of the touristy things Strahan has to offer. Personally, I ain't moving.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TaffTraveller_11
Reviewed February 26, 2012

A great two bedroom self contained unit with amazing views out on to the water. The unit had everything you could want (except maybe light blocking blinds for the afternoon and morning) and more and we wished we had booked to stay there longer. While not cheap, the place is worth it for the level of accommodation. Would definitely be my first option should I go back to Strahan.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple