“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Strahan B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

One could not ask for more when staying here. The service is fantastic. We even got a postcard when we got home and a cookie bag before we left for the road trip.Carolyn and Mike are perfect hosts and seem to think of everything. Beautiful rooms, great views from the widows lookout. A great stay, highly recommended - best B&B I've stayed in.

Room Tip: Any room, the whole house is beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Michele M
OrmistonStrahan, Owner at Ormiston House, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
All our pleasure I have to say. The house is beautiful and the story of the Henry's even better so I'm not shy in proudly sharing the story. Glad you like the cookies and am experimenting with flavour today so hope the response is as good.
Carolyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed at Ormiston House for 3 nights in July, Tuesday to Friday and were both spoiled and delighted. Carolyn and Mike are the perfect hosts - kind, knowledgeable and attentive - and the house is a historic gem. From the stained glass in the front entrance to the ceiling roses in the dining area and from the very nicely appointed and snug bar/lounge to the lovely period carpet Ormiston House is a treat to be enjoyed.

We arrived on a cold and very wet winters afternoon to be treated by Mike opening the front door for us and showing us to our very pleasantly toasty room where there were fresh muffins (delicious) and the chance for a nice hot coffee (or tea). Our room was well appointed with a very nice bathroom and a comfortable bed and the opportunity to have a drink in the bar in the evening was greatly appreciated.

The house is an easy walk (a wet one given the weather when we were there !) to the pub and restaurants for dinner or just around the corner to Molly's (BYO) for fish and chips. The bottle shop next door to Molly's closes at 1830 so dine early !

All in all a most enjoyable experience with wonderful hosts in lovely B&B with great ambience.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David P
So pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for writing the review which is a wonderful promotion for a lot of the town. The history of not only Ormiston but the entire area is fascinating.
take care and thank you again
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

An absolute delight. Beautiful restoration and decore. The owners, Carolyn and Mike, are warm and welcoming and peppered us with treats such as muffins on arrival and to take on the road, all beautifully presented. They have thought of every little detail to make a stay memorable. Probably our best B&B experience ever.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lovely words and so I thank you for that. We enjoy the days and so pleased that it shows.
I've just put another batch of muffins in so someone else will enjoy them too.
cheers for now and kind regards
Hobart, Tasmania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

My partner and I stayed at Ormiston for two nights and found Carolyn and the house a delight. Carolyn greeted us on arrival and gave us some wonderful recommendations for places to eat and things to do in the area. Following Carolyn's suggestions we dined at her two favourite restaurants and found them to be very good.

Our room was large with, as expected for a house of the era, high ceilings. My only minor issue with the room was it wasn't as warm as I would have liked. I do feel the cold terribly though so this was no doubt in part my own issue but I do think more heating in Winter would be a great idea.

While the breakfasts are continental there was more than ample for us and Carolyn made a wicked hot chocolate. The lovely muffins on arrival and biscuits on departure were a wonderful touch to a great weekend in Strahan.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Your review was a wonderful way to start the day and I took your 'like to be a little warmer' comment on board and brought in the expert to over-haul. Really appreciate the heads-up. So nice you enjoyed the stay and in fact, I'm off to make more cookies now! kind regards Carolyn
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Carolyn is very welcoming, friendly and helpful. Thank you for the yummy blueberry muffins. Ormiston house is a beautiful home in a great location with a wonderful history but needs some attention. We stayed in the largest room and we found it quite cool - thank goodness for the electric blankets. The promise of long luxurious showers is not delivered because of the poor/non existent water pressure.
Did not appreciate being woken up at midnight due to the little party happening in the front bar which kept me awake until 1.30am. Breakfast is basic - cereal, yogurt, toast.
Not a lot of other options in Strahan - seems like there are a lot of accommodation options however they all seem a bit yesteryear.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
OrmistonStrahan, Owner at Ormiston House, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and so pleased you did.

Guests in 3 of our other rooms held a meeting in the township the last night of your stay, and after that here in the House.
Due to the meetings late finish and all restaurant kitchens closed, we supplied a meal in the dining room. I was concerned about the robust conversation. In the past our brick walls have contained any noise within the dining room, but unfortunately not in this instance.

I sincerely apologize for the disturbance you suffered and know the other guests would be mortified if they knew.
I therefore have not charged you for that nights accommodation and trust you will accept my apology.

I did notice the reduced water pressure when I cleaned after your departure. A quick call to be plumber and fixed within 30 mins and back to great pressure I'm pleased to say.

Thank you again for alerting me and therefore allowing me say sorry.

Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Let me begin by saying I am generally not a fan of Bed and Breakfast establishments. Something just creeps me out about being in what is usually a big house maybe with the proprietor living there. Sorry, but I really am more comfortable with the commercial comforts of at least some totally business type being responsible for the housekeeping and hygiene issues. That said, if you are going to this part of Tasmania go ahead and stay at Ormiston House. Carolyn is a ball of fire and the place, while a bit of a decorative explosion for me, is clean and well equipped. The breakfast was perfectly fine . She is an experienced hand at the tourist game and has pre- printed handouts ready for you to send you on your way via some not to be missed spots on the way out of town. And her sack of cookies may end up as your lunch considering the absence of virtually any dining choices for many miles. She is a lovely woman and is clearly the reason our travel agent insisted we stay there .

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mcguyver
OrmistonStrahan, Owner at Ormiston House, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Thanks very much for your comments. Back to Strahan after couple of days in Hobart promoting our extraordinary Wilderness. Checked emails and there was your review.
Pleased you enjoyed the experience.
We live in an amazing area and pleased to supply a comfortable stay whilst you explored.
Thank you again for your time to review.
Take care and kind regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

This house is an important part of the history of Strahan and kudos to the owners for restoring it in a tasteful and meaningful way . It's a period property so the floors squeak and its not a grand Hyatt so be prepared for old world charm . Carolyn was chatty and exuberant and clearly loves her house and the town. I was just a tad surprised not to have the choice of a cooked breakfast at the price but that would be my only negative comment. This is a warm and charming place to stay and your hosts will endeavour to please

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
OrmistonStrahan, Owner at Ormiston House, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed the story that is associated with Frederick Ormiston Henry and yes, the home was worth the effort to restore. Thank you for your kind words.
best wishes