“Old fashioned hospitality”
Review of Ormiston House

Ormiston House
Ranked #3 of 6 Strahan B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Everything about a stay here is in keeping with the stylish period property. Spacious rooms and bathrooms with furniture and fittings in keeping with it's heritage. A very warm welcome with home made cakes and a great breakfast. Sadly I had to rush the latter in order to get my ticket for the river cruise. However, I was able to leave my car there and when I returned Carolyn sent me on my way with some home baked cookies neatly wrapped in ribboned cellophane. I was told this was the best place to stay in Strahan. Good advice!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
OrmistonStrahan, Owner at Ormiston House, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments and it was our pleasure. The house is an old dame but nonetheless, beautiful and exudes charm and warmth I believe.
Very pleased you popped in to stay

Reviewed April 20, 2014

A bueatiful house, muffins on arrival,great location,our bedroom was old world charm and spacious and clean,i think it was excellent value for money,as we were leaving early Carolyn had breakfast ready for us with hot crossiants and a bag of home made choc chip cookies to take with us, don't bother searching for any other accommodation just stay here!

Room Tip: Any room in this house is special
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mark c

Ahh the muffins do it all the time. I know that I like a cuppa and 'something' after a drive and am sure that I'm not alone.
We'd love you to visit again

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

We were greeted at the door and given home baked muffins on arrival !
The rooms were old world and gorgeous but with modern air cond - which I loved. Electric blanket on the bed - I loved this too !
Breakfast was a delight - hot fresh croissants and one of 70 odd teas to choose from!
Close to everything - lots of peace and quiet.
Carolyn and Michael were a pleasure - on leaving freshly baked choc cookies !!
Who could ask for more.

• Stayed: April 2014

A favourite of Mike's is choc chip cookies so everyone's very lucky that there are always some left over after his visit to the kitchen!
So pleased you enjoyed your stay and the story that part of that stay.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

A beautifully restored & maintained B&B in picturesque Strahan.
Carolyn is a vivacious and warm host who doesn't hesitate to assist with any requests from a local restaurant reservation to travel times throughout the entire island of Tasmania.
Rooms are spacious with elegant fixtures and fittings all designed to make you feel at home with a touch of luxury. The en suite bathrooms are clean, bright and with plenty of room - the shower is pure delight.
Breakfast is light with homemade croissants, tea, coffee, cereals, etc - a great start to the day.
A great experience with lovely memories created.

Room Tip: The Mary Alice room was a delight
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Pleased that I helped fill in all the important details during your stay.
I like to help but not to overload after a drive so hopefully I managed the balance.
Thank you for the complimentary words about our lovely Home. It is the story that is the most enjoyable and great you thought so too.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

A very expensive place at $270 for a night in FO Henry suite. Lovely old house, good location and friendly and helpful hosts. Although they seemed a bit tired as did the décor. I just felt it could have been cleaner in bathroom and linen had a smell which was not fresh and clean and it was also very worn. We had a bad nights sleep as bed was hard. Croissant burnt.

Room Tip: do you want the most expensive?
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
OrmistonStrahan, Owner at Ormiston House, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Thank you for your response Ann and we are sorry you were so disappointed with your stay at Ormiston House. The mattress is a new item and yes we do choose firm mattresses as over the past 19 years that we have been here they seem to be the most satisfying from a customer perspective. I am also sorry that you found us 'as tired as our décor' which usually receives commendations. As for us we feel we scrub up fairly well for a couple of old folks and Carolyn would be the antithesis of tired ( we do have a few age lines I must admit ). I will check to see if any of the linen needs replacement but up to this week all seemed to be in good order and Carolyn makes a point of getting the linen on the line and in the sun to keep it smelling fresh. We have found our price to be in line with industry standards for a property of our classification and there are many less expensive choices available for visitors who prefer to pay less for accommodation. In spite of your disappointing time with us I hope you had a great holiday in Tasmania. Kind regards, Mike

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Thankyou Carolyn for a great overnight stay - absolutely lovely lady she couldn't do enough for us.

Would highly recommend this lovely old house that has been taken care of with a lot of love.

Fantastic location.

Carolyn also sent us a lovely postcard back home, really couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: We had adjoining rooms which was great because hubby snores. Lovely big bathroom.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Pleased I could help with adjoining rooms.
Great to read your love for our gorgeous part of the world and hope to see you back again

Reviewed April 6, 2014

The hosts are very friendly and informative supplying suggestions for our stay in Strahan and arranging tickets where necessary.
The room we stayed in was very comfortable and the facilities are excellent however I feel the bath and shower need some support for guests with disabilities. I have had both knees and both hips replaced and had difficulty getting in and out of the shower which was above the bath.
The breakfast was adequate but limited.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Yes we do live in a great spot and happy you enjoyed your stay. Have already taken on board your thoughts and understand with the knee situation myself.