“beautiful property but the little extra personalised service made it stand out.”
Review of Ormiston House

Ormiston House
Ranked #2 of 6 Strahan B&B and Inns
travelling aussie
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Our welcome commenced online when we booked. The driving tips for the 5 hr journey from Hobart were most valuable. On arrival we were warmly greeted. We found our room just perfect (except there was no fridge or milk for coffee). Assistance to find an appropriate dinner venue was appreciated and the result excellent. Whilst we loved the shower over the claw foot bath we both would have appreciated a "grab" bar for safety of getting in/out. The continential breakfast was adequate with fresh croissants and decent coffee. Carolyn's bright happy disposition and readiness to help was certainly memorable. She is definitely in the right business! Driving tips for the next leg of our journey were very helpful and the morning tea muffins for the trip was a great touch. House is beautifully restored and decorated. A must stay venue.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
OrmistonStrahan, Owner at Ormiston House, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our pretty little house, but as you know, it is the story that gives the building its life and character.
We loved it all the moment we saw it, even though the poor old girl was derelict.
Thank you for your review and I do apologise for the delay in responding.
I have only just been alerted to our tripadvisor incomings since June so I have a number of apologises to send.
Pleased the driving tips were useful and I've added new eateries along the way after great feedback from other guests. Always great to share good news and especially about food.
Thanks again for visiting our lovely West Coast.
kind regards
Carolyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Whilst Carolyn is a helpful and friendly host, the property itself appears to need some updating. The room we had, the FO Henry room, was tired and quite dark, the TV received very poor reception, the air-conditioning took several attempts to work, and there was only one comfortable chair to relax in.
Breakfast was fairly limited to cereal and yoghurt, toast or croissant. In other B&B's on this trip we had outstanding fully cooked breakfasts included. The bar did not seem used but could have been more welcoming if the fire had been lit.
All in all it was expensive for the quality offered.

2 Thank Shoalb
OrmistonStrahan, Owner at Ormiston House, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write. I missed the alerts to my incoming tripadvisor reviews since June so apologise for my slow reply.
Old homes with a deal of internal timberwork need lots of loving care and we have endeavoured to capture the character in maintaining period decor throughout.
I took your advice regarding the darkness of the room and replaced the energy-saving bulbs with halogen in the overhead antique crystal and all the lamps. Not so kind to the environment but great light.
To improve the television reception was more of a challenge, so with guests viewing quality in mind, we put our thinking caps on. With new digitial sets in all rooms but only analouge reception in Strahan at present, the signal is deminished followed by the reception.
So until Strahan goes digital, we took the antenna and placed on the very top of the house gables. Looks out of place and has caused interesting comments, but is doing the job.
I appreciated and thank you for your review and have taken your comments seriously.
kind regards
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip. After a LONG 5 hour drive from Hobart, the warm welcome by Carolyn when she greeted me at the car was just the first of what seemed to be the VIP treatment they give all their guests. I stayed in the Ameila room, which was perfect! I LOVED, and used, the old-fashioned, claw-foot tub.... it was wonderful.... they don't make tubs like that anymore.

Carolyn arrived at my room with a nice warm apple muffin and a map to where my business meeting would be the next day. The bed was sooooo comfy and the room was toasty warm. The garden and decor inside are spectacular. The stay finished, as it started, with VIP treatment. The breakfast in the morning was very nice and I was sent on my way with 2 chocolate muffins. I will definitely be staying there again; Carolyn and Mike's hospitality cannot be beat :)

Room Tip: The Amelia was cosy and very comfortable bed.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
OrmistonStrahan, Owner at Ormiston House, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
I have just responded to a recent review and noticed that I missed your message.
I am very sorry,especially as you spoke so well of your stay with us. Mike always says that it is my muffins that do the trick, but I see that I have to share that with the claw foot bath this time!
Nothing like lounging in a tub after a day of busy meetings.
Would love to welcome you again.
cheers
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2012

It has all been said before-lovely old house, comfortable rooms, delightful friendly and helpful hosts, afternoon tea when you arrive, electric blankets and the nicest hot shower imaginable.
This is an excellent B&B and we would definitely return.
Carolyn gave us some great info about our return journey to Hobart along with a couple of delicious muffins for the journey.
Two tiny quibbles though:
As has been mentioned before a fridge in the room would be great-there was nowhere to keep the jug of fresh milk and we hate to keep asking for things so ended up drinking black tea.
We were looking forward to an evening drink at the bar but the room was in darkness and we felt uncomfortable ringing for "service". In fact we did ring but felt that we had interrupted
dinner so asked about restaurants instead and went out.
Do check out Mike's beautiful woodwork before you buy elsewhere-his Huon pine breadboards are exquisite and cheaper than in town.I wish I had room in my bag for one.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 11, 2012

After finding Ormiston House by reviews on Tripadvisor, I knew we were in for a good couple of nights in Strahan... But sometimes things can not live up to your expectations. Thankfully that is not the case here.
Firstly, the house. Such a beautiful heritage home, with such rich history. The rooms are all very light and spacious, and the widows walk and the history room were all very interesting (for history buffs like us).
Now we come to the best bit. Carolyn heard us come down the drive and came out to greet us with a very friendly smile. We felt instantly welcomed. And she helped us bring our bags inside, and brought freshly baked muffins for us to snack on.
Throughout the whole stay Carolyn was incredibly friendly and helpful.
A few comments on the room. We stayed in the Christina (or the lovers suite). It is located at the front of the house, but the gardens are very private anyway. The large windows make the room very light but the curtains block out all early morning light for a sleep in. There is free wifi throughout the whole house, and our room was fitted with a reverse cycle aircon. Very helpful to warm the room on those cold autumn nights.
Staying at Ormiston has ruined all other B&B's because they simply don't compare...
We also had a fun little surprise when we got home... by receiving a post card from Carolyn to thank us for staying with them!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha P
OrmistonStrahan, Owner at Ormiston House, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Whilst waiting for guests to come down for breakfast this morning, I thought I'd respond to a review that arrived today and then realised that I had not dropped you a thank for your kind words.
Everything was a pleasure and great to read that you enjoyed all the history and stories that we share. That is what brought us firstly to Strahan and then to buy the House.
Pleased that you enjoyed the experience and very happy to carry your bags. I know what it is like to arrived after a day of travelling and be able to settle into the room quickly.
cheers
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Ormiston House was recommended to us by family, and from the moment we were greeted by Carol in the driveway, to the very last wave, she was an excellent and hospitable host. We were treated as though we were her only guests, when in fact she had a houseful. The attention to detail in the house, which was beautifully restored and a pleasure to stay in, beautiful breakfast, fresh croissants, gluten free muffins, knowledge of everything must do inTasmania not just locally, the map and detail provided as we were on our way, right down laundry done for us, and posting home of clothing left behind! We stayed three nights, and next time would love to stay longer. And did I mention centrally located, thanks Carol for a wonderful Strahan experience, we'll be back.

Room Tip: It's a walk to everywhere, huge selection of restaurants, opposite Macquarie harbour for cruise...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2012

If you are into heritage homes then this is the place for you! This was my first experience with a B & B and from the moment we pulled into the driveway and were greeted by Carolyn it was a wonderful one. The house is very old and wonderfully restored and the owners went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. Our room, the Amelia, which I think may be the smallest of all the rooms, was very adequate for the two of us and the claw foot bath in the ensuite was a treat. Both Carolyn and Mike were available to help us with any enquiries we had. A very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed April 2012
OrmistonStrahan, Owner at Ormiston House, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Being your first experience of a B&B was a great challenge for us and so pleased that our lovely house worked for you and the story behind the walls.
Our first B&B was also in Tasmania which gave us the idea, and the rest is history.
So pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Strahan and all that is magic about this part of the world.
B&B's have individual great charm, so I hope you'll explore more in your travellers.
Thanks for making us the the first.
cheers and thanks