“Cancelled at short notice”

World Heritage Cruises
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Strahan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cruise the Gordon River with the local family owned and operated World Heritage Cruises.Cruises depart Strahan daily at 9am. Attractions include, Hells Gates, Atlantic salmon fish farms,Sarah Island Guided Tour, The Gordon River rainforest boardwalk and a Huon pine sawmill.
Sydney, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Cancelled at short notice”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Having worked our itinerary so that we could be in Strahan on a day when a cruise was running (they advertise that they run Mon, Tue, Thu, Sat during winter) we booked a Tuesday cruise about 3 months ahead and were really looking forward to it.
I booked by phone and was given no indication that the cruise might be cancelled (nor can I find any such indication on their web site - as opposed to their competitors Gordon River Cruises who do have a note that cruises are subject to change and availability).
I realise that it is difficult for a tourism operator to predict demand and that sometimes it might be necessary to cancel. But I am extremely disappointed that they left it till the day before to let us know. I gather from speaking to our acommodation hosts in Strahan that there have been several cruises cancelled this winter, so as we were apparently the only booking on the cruise in question one would expect that the operators would have a pretty good idea that it is likely to be cancelled more that 24 hours before departure. A cruise from Strahan is something you have to plan your itinerary around and not something that you would normally book at the very last minute - particularly during winter when really there is little else a tourist would want to do at Strahan.

When they rang to advise of the cancellation they advised that they had only just managed to get sufficient numbers to run the Monday cruise. This made it even more disappointing, as had they advised us even as late as lunch-time Sunday we could probably have arranged to be in Strahan for the Monday cruise, which would have been a win not only for us, but also for them.

So I am really dissapointed that they did not take the trouble to contact us until the last minute. I think they should have called at least a few days before to advise that the cruise was in doubt and to see we could work something out. Perhaps they should re-arrange their schedule to reduce the number of winter cruises so that people can organise their itineraries around a lesser number of days but with more certainty that the cruise will be running.

13 Thank Hendo_David

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A must do when in Tasmania”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Whilst in Strahan, we wanted to do the train ride but it was suspended. We had cruised the Gordon River on our last visit. We decided to do it again and were so glad we did. Weather was perfect and made for an enjoyable day. Staff were friendly and the tour of Sarah Island was a highlight with the narrator giving a stand out performance with her knowledge and crowd involvement. Lunch was a lovely selection of cold meats and salads. Highly recommended.

3 Thank waymez
Brisbane
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Amazing day out”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was one of our best days in Tasmania. The cruise was well worth the price. The boat was less than half full on the day we went, so we had plenty of room to spread out and move around. My children loved sitting in the wheelhouse with the captain. All the staff were incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. We had plenty of weather condition is our six hours, rain, wind, sun and hail! However, our hour tour on Sarah's Island was,thankfully, dry and Janice was a wonderful guide.
Lunch was fantastic and plentiful. This is a must-do tour when in Strahan.
The commentary and DVDs were very informative and we loved standing on the deck in the wind! The scenery was wonderful. We even saw a seal and an eagle!
Highly recommended

1 Thank Paula C
Melbourne, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“A must do in Strahan”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great boat, large and modern. I was lucky and scored a great day, sunny with no wind. This meant once you got into the Gordon River the reflections in the calm water were amazing. I booked a standard seat which was fine, because if you stay in your seat the whole time your missing out on the great scenery, it is an open boat which means everyone can move around, it has large outside areas to soak in the view. Lunch was basic but nice, plenty to eat.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank AussieGlennB
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“A great day out - rain or shine”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was the most expensive thing I did on holiday but it came so highly recommended I thought it was worth the risk and seeing as the Railway wasn't working (and would have been my first choice) I wanted to do something fun while here. Probably didn't need to pay for the most expensive seats as the boat wasn't very full but I could imagine in peak season it would be more worthwhile. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the entire trip was well narrated by the very knowledgeable captain. The walk and talk on Sarah Island was absolutely priceless and well done and the little nature walk was fun. Great for all ages and fitness levels and a great mix of a sea/river journey. Had a mix of weather but the rain failed to dampen the trip. Could not recommend highly enough.

Visited May 2013