“I had a great meal”

Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Strahan
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I rode my motorbike down the West Coast spending the least I could on accommodation so that I could spend a little on good food. This was the best meal I had in Tasmania. The setting is fantastic on the water , the staff were good - I did not feel like a leper even though I was dining alone. I even considered staying an extra day so I could do it all again.

The West Coast is a special place. It can be a little rough around the edges with few airs and graces. It was unexpected finding a restaurant this good here. I will be back. The roads are calling.

Chris

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We dined as a family (4 adults, we don't have young kids and I am not sure this is a place I would recommend for young kids) at Risby Cove twice between Christmas and New Year. We were pleasantly impressed. It was not the most slick restuarant, it was absolutely packed (not many options in Strahan really) and there were mistakes, but these were more than compensated by the quality of the food, which was really excellent, and the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to get it right. The setting is gorgeous, the food is pretty exceptional for a small town close to being on the edge of nowhere and the staff in our experience were friendly if perhaps a little frazzled and not quite coping with the number of diners and the fact that they were turning tables around all evening. Note that the restuarant during this period was full and booking was essential.

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We were looking forward to NY Eve at Risby Cove after reading so many fantastic reviews. We arrived at 9:00 pm and anticipated a night of fine dining welcoming in the New Year there. Our waitress was lovely and very attentive. We chose a glass of champagne and a beer as our pre dinner drinks. Soon after we chose the seafood platter for two ( many positive reviews) To our surprise the drinks and food arrived simultaneously, the seafood platter within about 5-10 minutes of our order. I got the impression the drinks waitress was jostling with the waitress bringing our food to make sure she got to our table first!
I am never reassured by fresh preparation of food when it arrives at your table before your seat is warm... and this was no exception. The Atlantic salmon and sword fish were dry and the cooked prawns and calamari were cold. It was very uninspiring. Needless to say we were on our way by 11:00pm after enjoying a coffee for way longer than usual, just to make the expensive experience last a little longer.
We decided to bring in the New Year at the local pub but no luck there either. Lights out and locked up! I'm sure there were some celebrations somewhere in Strahan but we watched fireworks on TV.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We enjoyed a lovely dinner here in December 2012. It was mid-week so not overly busy, and our staff were very helpful and pleasant. We ordered the Seafood platter for two and, having eaten seafood platters at other restaurants which are often full of fried food, this was the best, freshest seafood platter we've ever eaten!! We followed this with the cheese platter (also delicious), but our eyes were bigger than our stomachs and there was no hope of finishing this, and the staff were happy for us to take the remaining contents home in a takeaway container.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We dined at Risby Cove last night and although the food was nice it could not compensate for the long wait and rudeness of our waitress. We waited at least an hour for our food to arrive and watched others who were later arrivals being served the same dishes as we had ordered before us. After our main it was a struggle to catch the attention of the waitress for dessert.. The restaurant was busy but the arrivals were staggered and there seemed to be no need for a long wait. Finally after we received our dessert menus and another considerable wait the waitress returned. She made it obvious she had allowed all of five seconds to take our order and when one of our party of four enquired about the Parfait she just answered it is "like ice-cream".
Persisting our friend enquired how it was served and the waitress rudely replied "haven't I told
you it is like ice-cream 5 times?". I was taken aback at her rudeness and thought I must have misheard but my companions confirmed what she had said at which point I wanted to leave. The others said let's enjoy our desert and leave no tip as a protest which is what we did but it left a bad taste in our mouth. To the woman who served us - If you can't be pleasant to paying guests you shouldn't be working in hospitality.