“The Stanley Seaview Inn...don't go!”

Stanley Seaview Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Stanley
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I went here on New Years Eve 2012. I booked the day before and was told that there was a table at 5.30 or 8.30 only, we chose 8.30. Upon arrival the staff were a little confused as to where to seat us even though there was only two other groups in the entire room. The woman who appeared to be in charge criticised the other staff and showed us to our table. She then proceeded to tell us what they didn't have available from the menu (which was just about everything!). Entree of scallops - the scallops were absolutely tiny. Main course - we both had the steak as they were out of almost everything else (approx $40 each) the steak was ok but it came with a tiny serve of potato and some very uninspiring coleslaw, worse Than a cheap pub meal. I would not recommend going there as it was way overpriced and the decor is really cheap.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Monica P
Clint W, Manager at Stanley Seaview Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear Monica.

I am sorry to read that you had such a bad time in our restaurant on New Years Eve. I accept you criticism about the hand cut potato and coleslaw and I agree that staff should not blame each other.

However, I think most of you other points are being a little bit harsh. It is reasonable that on the busiest night of the year (New Years Eve), that there may be a bit of confusion over which table you were to sit at; Tasmanian scallops are a fine local delicacy - and they do tend to be quite small these days; our Cape Grim scotch fillet steak is one of the finest cuts of meat you can find; To suggest that we were out of "just about everything" is a little bit of an over statement; our prices may not be the cheapest, but they certainly are on par with the Tasmanian market and I your suggestion that our decore is cheap just baffles me.

Our Trip Advisor listing is testament to the standard of business we operate and high level of customer satisfaction that we enjoy. I am sorry that we have not met your expectations.

Regards,

Clint Walker,
Manager.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

This motel is in a lovely spot on the hill overlooking Stanley, the beach and The Nut. The room we stayed in was very spacious, comfortable and very clean. The outside is well maintained and looks very nice.

We had intended to eat in the village but unfortunately everything was either closed or fully booked so we headed back to the hotel to eat in their restaurant. My husband called from the room to see when they could take us as we were told they were very busy. After a very confusing phone call we were told we could have a table at 8.15 which was perfectly fine.

We had a copy of the menu in the room so we had a chance to look at it before going in. It seemed a bit pricey with mains ranging from about $30 - 50 (including lobster which was obviously quite expensive). For the price I was expecting much more from the restaurant than what we were served. Each main course was served with sauteed potatoes and coleslaw. Each in themselves were fine and in fact the slaw was very good, but the fact that every dish had the same accompaniment, I think, shows a lack of thought in developing the menu. My husband had scallops for his main, which the potatoes and slaw didn't really go with. I had lamb, which I asked for medium rare but came medium well. Even so, it was very tender and quite well seasoned although perhaps a little salty.

We also had dessert for which I ordered the cheesecake. Unfortunately this was lacking in flavour and the texture was slightly odd - almost springy and it had little bubbles through it. My husband ordered the cheese plate, which was very nice and was a huge portion, we could have easily shared it.

All in all the hotel was nice, but I would avoid the restaurant in future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor have a lovely view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed here for one night while travelling. Was checked in by Alan who was friendly and helpful.
My room was spacious and clean, but a little dated. Free wifi included which was good. The TV signal was intermittent and kept dropping out. I wanted to walk into town for food and drink, which takes about 15 minutes and Alan was able to recommend the Stanley hotel (pub) which was very good. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed here one night and because it was my birthday had booked a Seaview Spa Suite. It wasn't quite what we were expecting but it was still a nice property to stay in. We thought a Spa Suite would have a big round spa in the room whereas it was a normal bath with spa jets which was quite small. A tight squeeze for two people.

Upon checking in we received friendly service and although the property is a little older now the room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lara F
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment which was a nice start to our stay in Stanley. The room was very spacious and had a very lovely view of the nut.
Stanley is a really nice town - with cute little stores, cafes and restaurants.
Be sure to take the chair lift up to the Stanley nut and walk around the top!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My friend and I had a one night stay, rooms were very clean, comfy beds. The service at reception was excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at the restaurant, very relaxing, great views and excellent service. We would definitely recommend this quiet location..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night and had dinner in the Nutview Restaurant. The rooms are very nice if a little dated with the wood panelling, the bed was really comfortable and warm with the electric blanket. Our meal was superb-overall a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
Stanley Hotel
Bay View Guesthouse
Bay View Guesthouse
#2 of 8 in Stanley
Horizon Deluxe Apartments

Been to Stanley Seaview Inn? Share your experiences!