“Good food, friendly service”

Stanley Hotel Bistro
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Stanley
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: At the Stanley Hotel you’ll find a cold beer, a warm welcome and great food.Our bistro offers quality Tasmanian produce featuring great steak and seafood. Produce is sourced from the local region. In season try the fresh Lobster (crayfish), scallops, crisp battered fish ‘n’ chips, great local oysters, juicy tender grass fed beef and natural chicken.Join us for lunch or dinner which is served every day in our bistro or on our sunny deck.
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Food very good, reasonably priced. Comprehensive wine list which included a selection of Tasmanian wines. Also good choice of beers.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We heard about Stanley from watching Masterchef Australia last year, and made a point of driving to this north west corner of Tasmania to go to the Stanley Hotel Bistro. It's won the top bistro in Australia a few times I think...

Anyway, after having a dismal fish and chip meal from the only fishnchippery in the town the previous evening we de decided to go to the bistro. Arrived and the place was packed to the gunnels. The wait staff said it could be an hours wait. We decided to reserve a table, and went to the pub alongside, with the wait staff's blessing. We'd hardly made a dent in our drinks when we were called through to our table.

Ordered the seafood bisque, followed by the ocean trout. Verdict - outstanding!! I was so impressed with the soup. I personally rate my own chowder making skills, and this was better than mine by far. Must have been the quality and range of ingredients (definitely contained crayfish, or the stock did). Just brilliant and delicious! The ocean trout was really good too. The portion sizes are on the very generous size - we regretted ordering the main, as the bisque was a meal in its own right.

The service was really good, in spite of it being so busy. But I guess they are used to it!

2  Thank Penne T
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Cape Grim Steak, juicy oysters, fresh vegetarian pasta and a decadent berry parfait all well priced, well presented and well served.

1  Thank JudithGry
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The first night I had a Thai Chicken Curry for dinner - it bore no resemblance to a Thai curry. The second night I decided to play it safe and ordered the Beef Cheeks - this was 6,45pm and we were informed that they had run out of Beef Cheeks. So I opted to have the Chicken Satay. Well, I was so surprised at what I got that I had to check with the waiter if in fact my dinner was Chicken Satay. Firstly, it didnt come on skewers - which was what I was expecting. Rather it came in a curry sauce which was gluggy; sweet; and seemed to have a lot of flour in the sauce. All I can say is if you can't cook an authentic Asian meal - don't do it.

1  Thank Misow13
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Had some good reports before we came to Stanley about the hotel however we experienced a below average meal. We arrived at 7.30 to be told there were 5 choices from the menu finished, not available.At a top tourist time like this was inexcusable.We felt rushed to complete our meals as they continued to take reservations and needed the tables.Plate's were tried to be picked up from table before we had finished eating.
Sorry we would not go back