“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Mount Elephant Pancakes
Ranked #3 of 3 Dessert in St Marys
Cuisines: Cafe, International, Australian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Waitstaff
Hobart, Australia
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Having heard so many good comments about this place we decided to try it out for ourselves.

Maybe my expectations were too high as I must say I was disappointed with the food on offer.

Three of us called in for lunch - one had a chicken & mushroom pancake which was fine.

Two of us chose the soup of the day (it was a cold day). The soup was "fresh vegetable in chicken stock" but it was the most tasteless soup I have ever had. I could not even finish it.
As we were still hungry we had dessert pancakes & they were good but nothing to rave about.

We travel to the East Coast regularly but I would not go out of my way to visit this place again.

3 Thank elainejane

Turners Beach, Australia
“Quirky, out of the way, but worth visiting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband has been to Elephant Pancakes a few times before and had talked up their food and so I was looking forward to my meal there because I love eating hearty, hot pancakes. Unfortunately, I was disappointed.

It took a while as we wended our way up and around the pass. That in itself was an experience. Not something I would like to do on a dark and stormy night!

I guess my definition of pancakes and their definition of pancakes are different. They are crepes people - not pancakes!

I had an apple, blueberry and banana 'pancake'. It was okay. The filling was lacking somewhat in taste. It probably would have been better if the blueberries were warmed through a bit. It was not a filling meal. Because the filling was wrapped in a crepe the meal got cold quite quickly. I really had trouble enjoying it. I also had a Hot Chocolate and it was not hot and not particularly chocolatey. Hubby, however, thoroughly enjoyed his savoury crepe and he said that his coffee was okay.

However, the saving grace of this restaurant was the ambiance and the elephant theme. I did love that. I enjoyed the signs around the place and the various notes about feeding children to the elephants - amusing!

The restaurant has been there for years, so expected it to be older looking and it was but not in a bad way. It had a quirky ambiance that I enjoyed. It is a lovely place to stop and relax for a while. Remember to take CASH as they do not have EFTPOS. Thankfully hubby knew this and was prepared.

If you love pancakes you might be disappointed. If you are going there to experience this iconic Tasmanian stopover then you will enjoy it. I think it is a place you try once and then move on although my husband disagrees with me :-)

Tasmania
“Disappointed again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We decided to give 'Mt. Elephant Pancakes' another chance after having been there some years back on our way to the East Coast. Nothing has changed however... Very thin pancakes very overpriced. Coffee was terrible, the interior looked tired, and it would have been nice if the music was along the theme of the place. Judging by their written comments everywhere, including the menu, they must have had some bad experience with children on their premises. How about creating a little kids play-corner?! All in all the place didn't come across as very welcoming and there was certainly no value for money here. What a shame - the place has such potential!

4 Thank southofoz
Hobart, Australia
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Went for a day trip up the east coast and visited Mt Elephant Pancakes for the first time.

We will be back! Inhaled our crepes and we were both so surprised by their trust. The café doesn't have EFTPOS so they are happy for you to leave money at the next town (for us Bicheno) We couldn't believe it and know we probably would never have come across this when we lived on the mainland. Take the place for what it is, a little café out in the bush that serves beautiful crepes.

A wonderful little spot and the people we spoke to were very friendly and service was very fast. If you are in the area definetly make a stop or if you're like us, make a day trip out of it.

Brisbane, Australia
“What a surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were recommended this place by the relieving managers at The Cradle Mountain Wilderness Village. We missed the turnoff at St Mary's (should have turned right at the pub) but eventually back tracked and got there. It was certainly worth the effort. Being a true Aussie, I thought that pancakes were what you had for breakfast when the grandkids come over for a sleepover. Not so! This was a really wonderful experience in a rustic environment. The menu was pretty extensive and we certainly enjoyed our meal. We would recommed Mount Elephant Pancakes.
Take cash with you as eftpos is not available.

• Visited August 2013