“Lifetime memory created”

Ranked #7 of 16 things to do in St Helens
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed October 3, 2017

Thanks very much Michael for an amazing day. Although initially dubious of his claim we were guaranteed to catch a fish, my wife and son had both caught a fish before my line was wet! I estimate it took them 20 seconds!
In three hours we caught a great deal of fish and many were released.
We had never been fishing seriously before and are complete novices. Michael is an expert and it did appear that sometimes our inexperience was a bit of a challenge for him. Some comments might be taken the wrong way by thin skinned customers.
We learnt a great deal about fishing in our three hours. We all enjoyed ourselves immensely.
Michael took us straight to the right spots, told us where to cast, baited the line, tied the hooks, gutted the fish and shared his obvious love for the outdoors with us. He pointed out many birds and encouraged an eagle to stay within metres of us. He pointed out a seal as well.
I highly recommend a fishing trip with Michael.

All reviews
"fished"
"release"
"birds"

Reviewed September 22, 2017

The stuff Michael doesn't know about fishing in St. Helens wouldn't be worth knowing. He's always gots his eyes up and never misses a beat always watching for birds or colour in the sounder. Put us straight onto fish and made sure the esky was loaded but the time we returned to the harbour. I read earlier that someone reckoned Michael was obnoxious, I completely disagree. If the bloke has a know it all attitude it's probably because he does in fact know it all. He really was a good bloke. The only problem we had with Michael was getting through all the cod and morwong he put us onto

Reviewed March 26, 2017

We had a great morning out with Michael, with sooo many fish. We started following water churning pelagic schools, shared with gulls, cormorants and pelicans in the early morning light and moved on to catch mackerel, salmon and trevally. We fished in deep water and shallow, over sand and along gullies. We spooked hundreds of bream and whiting and watched two enormous snook tease us by follow after follow, in the midst of which two kingfish swam up in full view and took my fly, though not for long. Michael was much more disappointed than I was, but never made me feel the novice I am.
He clearly knows a great deal about this set of waters, and why wouldn't he? We were very pleased to have a guide who appeared to know all about the area, who was more than willing to share his expertise and help us to have such a wonderful time in a marine paradise. We enjoyed our cuppa, too. Thanks Michael!

1  Thank Clare S
Reviewed March 7, 2017 via mobile

Had a very pleasant morning on the water with Michael. He knows fishing and boating so well and were well looked after.

Even as a complete novice I caught salmon, whiting, tailor, mulle and calamari. And all in 3 hours! Our only problem will be finding ways to eat our bounty before we head home.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 2, 2017 via mobile

If you're into your bream fishing, this is your guy, and the place to do it. I've just finished fishing three days with Michael Haley around George's and Ansons Bay on some stunning, crystal clear flats and up the picturesque rivers. The waterways here are some of the best and healthiest I've seen anywhere. I have never seen so many big bream and some absolute pigs were landed. To see so many fish schooled up and feeding on the flats was truly amazing.

As for the guide, Michael. One review said that he had a "know it all" attitude. After fishing with him for three, I think that he pretty much does know it all with regards to patterns of fish movement, tides, lures etc. After all, he has been guiding these waters for a long time.

You will never find a guide more passionate about his fishing. I dropped what was probably my best fish for the trip and I think he was more upset than me. Whilst I was out with Michael, it was more like you were out fishing with a mate. He will definitely improve your technique and will put you in the right spots.

Michael Haley, thanks for an awesome three days.