“A little tired and not as the brochures presented”

Tall Timbers Tasmania
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Smithton
Reviewed March 31, 2011

We spend the first night of our holiday in Tasmania at Tall Timbers, it was quite a large establishment. The motel style rooms were quite basic and clean but overpriced for what you got. The travel brochures did not indicate that all the rooms opened onto gravel driveways and the "beautiful country setting" was not close the the accommodation. Breakfast was extra and the bus load of people who ate before us had emptied most of the supplies. There was a lack of staff to replenish these.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank susieq6

Reviewed March 27, 2011

This accommodation was a real surprise to us. The location is very ordinary and I would not advise staying in Smithton unless you had to. I think Stanley is a much nicer place to stay but also much more expensive. We got a very reasonable rate and we were very impressed witht he resort. The cabins were very clean and comfortable and although they all seem quite close together we did not hear any noise during the night. We made use of the heated pool and gym which was great. We also had our evening meal in the restaurent which was ok, nothing to rave about but adequate. The grounds of the resort are well looked after and quite picturesque given the complex seems to be plonked in the middle of suburbia.
I would recommend this hotel if you had to stay in Smithton.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovescruising
Reviewed March 24, 2011

Stayed in Lakeside Apartment early in March for 2 nights the apartment was extremely well equipped actually 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms for a 1 bedroom you only use 1 of each lovely balcony overlooking lake We chose to dine in Kauri Restaurant the first night we were asked at reception at check in that they would book our table for us as they would be very busy when we arrived at restaurant we were immediately shown to our table there were 2 tourist coaches in so restaurant was full the table service was very prompt our meals delivered promptly the quality of our meals extremely good the bar service and prices are rxtremely good $4 for pint of draught beer was unbelievable after this wonderful experience we decided to dine there again the second night this time we were joined in the restaurant by about 50 motor cycle tourists and again the service was above and beyond especially the bar waitress we actually remembered our drinks from the previous night after reading the previous reviews we were very wary but found none of the previous comments applied to our stay from check in to check out and dining we were treated well and politely all I can say is that they have picked up there act and it is worth the little extra to stay in one of ther beautiful apartments

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GigiandPa
Reviewed January 22, 2011

We had a beautiful lakeside apartment, which was extremely well apointed and a pleasure to stay in. It was cleaned daily. The site also has a lot of motel units, and a bottle shop. The main downside was the restaurant, the food was very poor and completely uninspiring, more like bad school food. Our stay would have been improved by a good chef serving sensitively cooked local produce. Also, Tall Timbers runs 4WD trips into the local countryside, but it is necessary to book well in advance. Some staff were not particularly helpful, although others were welcoming.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank norrie_Aberdeen
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We (2adults+2teens) stayed in a 2br unit (no 60) overlooking a large pond, which had lots of ducks in it and had birds and rabbits on the riverbank. It was quiet and very pretty. There was a balcony which would be ideal when the weather is good. The unit was roomy, clean and tidy, had tv/DVD, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. No oven, only a microwave and a
cooktop. The accommodation gets full thumbs up from us- but... The restaurant left us feeling disappointed. There were 31 other people in for dinner, there was only 7 dockets up for the chefs but it took nearly an hour for the food to come out. My vegetables were almost flavorless, and tasted like they came out of cans. Would love to see some great local flavors and fresh produce, it would make a big difference. Other onsite facilities:gym, indoor pool with spa, tennis court, bottleshop. Wifi available if you pay.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank TasMum
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Worst food and service that I can remember. As a commercial traveller I have had the opportunity to stay in hundreds of different forms of accommodation and dine in many restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Getmoosed
Reviewed November 25, 2010

I have wanted to stay here for a few years now, but was always after a bargain and could never seem to get one. So finally I get what I thought was a decent price through hotel club and booked in for 2 nights. On arrival the receptionist seemed uninterested in dealing with me and basically said here's your key. Thr room was a decent size, but the bathroom left alot to be desired. Then there were the bugs, little black insects everywhere! I don't think the room had been used in a while, the bugs were dead, but everywhere, on the floor in the bathroom, bedside tables, the floor in the bathroom, the window sill. It was awful. I called receptin, the girl said they wold get someone over to clean up. They never showed up. On the first morning I got woken up at 6am with a bus running idol outside my room, this went fror 45 minutes. Finally I thought I culd go back to sleep, then it started again at 7am till 7.30am when the bus left. That afternoon yet another tour bus arrived and parked outside my room. I went to the rection to see if in the morning it could warm up it's engine somewhere else, like in the car park, I mean this is a huge property. The girl said no I can't do anything about it. As for the restaurant, I went to eat on my 2nd night, I went at 6pm when it opened, they said unless I could be out by 6.30pm I couln't get a table because it was booked out by the bus tours. Also the walls are that thin you can hear everything in the room next door and the sound of the plumbing in the walls is extremely loud. So to sum up my experience here, unless you are on a bus tour, keep away because they don't treat other guests well. Next time I will stay in Stanley again, only 15 minutes away.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Holidayprincess74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithton
Stanley Hotel
The Bridge Hotel
The Bridge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Smithton
Beachside Retreat West Inlet

Been to Tall Timbers Tasmania? Share your experiences!