“Great find”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sheffield
Melbourne, Australia
“Great find”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We stayed here, like all our accommodation choices, based on the reviews on Tripadvisor, and as usual, we were not disappointed.

It's a motel, so don't expect 5 star luxury. But having said that, what do you expect from a motel? A spacious room that is spotlessly clean, a hot shower, cooking facilities, a very large flat screen TV, breakfast by order etc are all present and accounted.

What my wife and I enjoyed the most though, was the owners allowed us in to the adjoining paddock, and allowed us to feed and interact with their alpacas and sheep. That's not to mention the excellent views of Mount Roland in the background.

So, for $134 for one night over Easter, we had a wonderful stay in a motel that had a central location, and ticked all the boxes for us. We highly recommend it, and we will definitely stay here if we ever in the area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TriniAussie

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 27, 2011

This is a wonderful place. A friend and I stayed in the standard motel room and it was exrremely clean and had all the basic necessities. Electric blanket was useful. A lovely, comfortable room and very reasonably priced. Would stay again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank theonlycherise
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2011

The management were very helpful and the rooms had a microwave , and full kitchen service. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom pleasant. It was 2 minutes from the centre of town which was a delight to walk around viewing the murals.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank newton_sue
London
Reviewed January 31, 2011

A decent place to stay if you're on your way to Cradle Mountain. The retreat is a short walk from the pub, shops etc in Sheffield. Rooms were clean and spacious, though quite basic.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank padnitt
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed January 24, 2011

My night was quite unpleasant because I had a strong snorer next to my room which was very noisy and disturbing the whole night. When I realized that I asked the owner if I could move into another room as the Kentish Hills Retreat was almost empty. He told me that if I like to move into another room then I would have to pay the room rate of $110 AUD for the same night again. This is quite unusual and not very cooperative as it wouldn't been such a big deal to allow me to move into another room.

I also don't understand why the owner put the other person just next door as the motel was almost empty and he should know that the walls are very thin and noise easily passes. It seems to me that they don't care much about their guests and I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Patrick188
kentishTasmania, Owner at Kentish Hills Retreat, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
The guest was quite rude when he woke us in the early hours of the morning (2am when reception closes at 8pm) demanding another room after he used everything, the walls are solid brick and have never had a complant like that before, I can see why he is single and traveliing by himself
Australia
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Just an ordinary motel, not farm stay,... basic but ok. Smokers next door meant we had to have windows shut on hot night. Somewhere to stay overnight while passing through

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We only spend an afternoon in Sheffield on our way back from Cradle Mountain to the east coast.

The retreat is a group of cottages in its own area of well kept gardens. Its a short walk from the cottages up to the main high street in Sheffield. Greeted by friendly staff and found the cottage to be clean, spacious and with kitchen facilities.

We took the opportunity to do a drive late afternoon up to Lillico Beach (up on the north coast) and watched Little Penguins come up the beach and return to their nests just after dusk. From memory I think it was about a 30-40 minute drive each way.

For our single night stay-over we found the Kentish Hills Retreat a good choice. I think we could also have used it as a good base if we'd been spending longer in this area of Tassie.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mobilecamera
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheffield
Cradle Mountain Hotel
#1 of 1 in Claude Road
Mountain View Country Inn
Mountain View Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Deloraine

Been to Kentish Hills Retreat? Share your experiences!