Sea Change Safety Cove
Stewarts Bay Lodge(Port Arthur)(Great Value!)
$128
$98
$83
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Parsons Bay Retreat(Nubeena)(Great Value!)
$85
  • Beachfront
$89
$86
Travelocity
Travelodge Hotel Hobart Airport(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
$75
$85
Agoda.com
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewstasman islanddownstairs bedroomyogurtbreakfast supplieselectric heaterlovely hostsideal locationlovely spotone nightvisiting port arthurself containedrexsuepillarscapeapartmentdeck
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I arrived at Safety Cove last weekend with my partner and little boy. We took the turn-off from Port Arthur to Remarkable Cave and were amazed when we arrived at Safety Cove beach at the view from the house of Tasman Island and some of the tallest sea cliffs in the world. The gardens were lovely and the accomodation was great. Clean, comfortable and warm with a great wood fire that really pumped out the heat. The antique furniture was lovely in our rooms (fantastic old cupboard in the bedroom). The beach was right near the house and seems so quiet for such a beautiful place. Rex and Sue were very welcoming. Great place, highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Safety Cove is gorgeous, the outlook from the house is gorgeous, the gardens with the wild birds, the little path to the beach -- all gorgeous. Loved it and wished we could have stayed another day or two. However, the accommodation itself was pretty ordinary. We stayed in the 2 bedroom self-contained downstairs apartment. Positives: Great views, comfortable sofas, basic kitchen, wood-burning fireplace, electric heaters on beds, collection of books and magazines, afternoon tea provided on arrival. Negatives: Older style (early 1980s?) decor and furnishings, no internet, bathroom had a permanent open grill in the window which made it freezing cold, and space heaters were not able to keep the rooms warm (and it wasn't really cold when we visited). Overall reasonable value for the price paid. This place could be fantastic with a little updating, but being so cold inside the apartment really diminished our enjoyment of it. I guess I would recommend it just because the location is so special and no other accommodation is nearby, but if it were anywhere else I wouldn't recommend it based on our experience.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2010

My name is Nick and I recently visited Tasmania for the first time, and although I have wanted to get down here for years, but I live in the hustle bustle lifestyle of Wollongong, New South Wales (don’t hold it against me!!) and work and financial commitments have always been TOO restrictive (usual story).
I have been a keen fisherman and diver for as long as I can remember, and while I had heard good things about the fishing and diving in Tasmanian waters, I had to check it out for myself!! So, after making enquires with some knowledgeable Tasmanian friends of mine a stay with Rex and Sue Mapley at Sea Change Bed and Breakfast came highly recommended.
So after a quick drive down the peninsula from Hobart through some beautiful landscapes and charming little villages I arrived at Sea Change B & B. I was warmly greeted and unpacked quickly, obviously keen for a look around. I strolled down to the viewing deck, not twenty metres from the beach, and was joined by Rex and Sue for a cold beer and a chat about my plans. As I gazed down into the crystal clear waters at the swirling kelp forests and then further along the cliffs of safety cove, out to Tasman Island, I realized I had definitely been steered in the right direction!! I was assured that the Southern Bluefin Tuna (SBT) had been firing and that there were good crayfish and abalone just below where we were standing, so I was grinning from ear to ear!! I was grinning even more after Rex and Sue told me about the scrumptious feed of scallops I could have for dinner, just down the road!! Highly recommended!
The next morning as we motored out of Eagle Hawk Neck I was anticipating a great day. The scenery alone was enough, but landing two SBT in the 20kg range was the icing on the cake. Chatter on the marine radio all day was of 60kg plus bluefin!!! Unbelievable I know, but I could see them being landed! That afternoon saw me having a lazy cast for Australian Salmon off the beach not 50 metres along the beach from Sea Change, a much needed and more relaxed change of pace from battling tuna off 150m high cliffs let me assure you! Sashimi was a definite for dinner tonight!!
After a very comfortable nights sleep I donned my wetsuit, (definitely recommended this time of year!) and hopped into the waters at the bottom of the short track leading down from Sea Change. After a 45 minute dive and with two nice crays and some abalone in the bag I was ready for a hot shower!! I packed the car, including my esky full of fresh seafood, thanked Rex and Sue (again) and headed back up along the peninsula. As I looked around, I saw I was absolutely surrounded by water on all sides (heaven) and soon realized I was semi consciously planning my next trip back. IT WONT BE LONG!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We stayed for 1 night on our travels around Tasmania & wished we could have stayed longer.The views are spectacular & the beautiful, isolated beach 2 minutes walk away.
The DIY breakfast was lovely & there were lots of treats, cakes, sweets & sherry.It is very handy for Port Arthur which is a must.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We (wife, daughter, granddaughter and self ) stayed a week at Sea Change Safety Cove. Paradise is a word often used glibly but it really does apply to Sea Change Safety Cove. The location is magnificent - overlooking a beautiful ocean bay and out to Tasman Island and right on (20 metres down a bush track) an expansive clean and isolated beach which takes a good forty-five minutes to stroll from end to end. Rugged cliffs and mountains form a backdrop to the ocean and beach. Behind the property are green fields, valleys and mountains.
The moon adds to the beauty as its reflections flood across the sea and the stars are clear and bright being away from any city pollution.
The accommodation is spacious, spectacularly clean and comfortable with attention given to every conceivable detail. If preferred meals can be eaten on the balcony which is enclosed by glass or on one of two platforms at cliff edges which are available to guests with BBQs and furniture provided. Binoculars are available to add further to detailed observation of the spectacular scenery.
Lush green lawns and shrubs, trees and colourful flowers surround the house making the setting idyllic.
The hosts Rex and Sue Mapley have given considerable attention to ensuring the comfort of visitors of all ages. The attention to detail could not be surpassed. As an example there are toys , books and DVDs galore to occupy the children and plenty of space for them to do their own thing.
Activities in the area include bush and cliff walking, deep sea fishing, nature and historic cruises, kayaking, scenic lookouts, nature walks, diving, golf, horse riding, diving, driving, surfing or an eco boat cruise to Tasman Island. Also close at hand are the Port Arthur Historic Site and the Tasmanian Devils Sanctuary. All these possibilities are close at hand but one does not have any sense of not just having time to relax if that is the preferred option.
Then there are the hosts Rex and Sue Mapley - welcoming, ever ready to provide information or advice or to add any little extras required to make the perfect holiday.
Our ages range from 5 to 74 but all found it very difficult to leave this perfect place on God's earth.
I think my explanations do not do justice to Sea Change Safety Cove. Might I suggest anyone interested looks at www.safetycove.com.au to get a more adequate idea on why we feel so passionate about this lovely piece of Paradise. We could not recommend it highly enough to anyone of any age group

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family