“A spooky night out!”

Port Arthur Historic Site 2-Day Pass
Ranked #4 of 13 things to do in Port Arthur
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Tasmania's original and best Ghost Tour, in one of Australia's most significant heritage sites. After night falls, the history can feel very close indeed!Tours run nightly, rain or not, (except Christmas Day) and last approximately 90 minutes.We also offer visitors the chance to do some serious ghost hunting at Port Arthur on our exciting new adults-only, late night Paranormal Investigation Experience. Learn how to conduct paranormal investigations using the latest scientific techniques and equipment, then test for paranormal activity in what are reputedly some of Australia's most haunted buildings. Operates on the last Saturday of each month.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our family embarked on the ghost tour with open minds, and this is certainly needed. Do not go along expecting to see ghosts or you will be disappointed.
My teenage daughter was first lantern bearer and had the job of entering buildings first and leaving last! She loved this! John, our guide, was wonderful; informative and amusing. We loved his stories and we certainly felt ' chilly vibes' in some areas.
The dark and cold weather added to the atmosphere . The 90 minutes went too quickly.
Our photos picked up a few 'orbs' especially near my teenage daughter, which was interesting.
A great night out and well worth the entrance fee.

2  Thank Paula C

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic, loved it!! Very different experience to seeing Port Arthur during the day.. John the guide made the experience enjoyable with his interesting 'spooky' tales and a bit of humour thrown in along the way.. Would definitely pay to do this again one day..

2  Thank Sunflowersky2013
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My son was given the job of the last lantern bearer. Excellent guide telling some chilling stories that made me scared. She sent my son in first to some of the rooms. Certainly very interesting to hear the stories. It is a completely different atmosphere to do a ghost tour at night.

I was personally disappointed as I am a believer that I had no experiences, but my son was witness to an experience that no other person on the tour was. He was sceptical when he discussed it with me afterwards, but I encouraged him to fill in one of their forms which they ask everyone who has seen or heard something to fill in. The next day when we did a day visit of the site my son observed one of the uniforms he had not seen before which is what the person he had seen had been wearing. My son now believes his experience.

Believer of not, I love history and each guide tells different story's so you learn more of what life was like here for those poor convicts.

1  Thank Deena M
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This ghost tour was not quite what I was expecting. Only 3 buildings were entered (a fourth we simply stood outside while our guide talked about the house and stories) and only 1 was a building not accessible during the day access. While I didn't expect anything supernatural, I was expecting at least some kind of creepy vibe, which wasn't present. The stories also didn't resonate with me that much. After spending the day walking around, I had higher hopes for the ghost tour.

1  Thank kam0706
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We did the dinner and ghost tour, dinner then tout. The food was great the service of high quality and the restaurant warm and ambient. After dinner we started our ghost tour our guide played the part spectacularly and entertaied us well she had us doing things which made us all laugh and participate in gags along the way. Ive always been a bit skeptical about ghosts and spiris etc but can honestly say that there was moments that I witnessed that nigjt that made me question my own personal idea's about the paranormal. A few odd noises coming from sealed rooms had the hairs standing up on my neck . our guide did her job well and I left there with a bit more of an open mind enjoyed the night immensely and would certainly recommend this night s must do.yhe only negative thing is I think that you should be able to get in the next day for free that made me angry that it wasn't a two day pass like every one else. If you buy a $35pass during the day you get two days of access. But a $70 ghost tour ticket only gives you dinner and an hou and a half of darkness and a quarter of the area of walk around then out you go.you get a harbor cruise and guided walks for two days on a normal $35 pass.they wouldn't let me in the next fay unless I paid another $35 so be warned travelers. Think about how much you want to spend before you choose to do the ghost tour.

1  Thank robertspier46