“Awesome Feed!!!”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Port Arthur
Wodonga, Victoria, Australia
“Awesome Feed!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

We arrived in Port Arthur late in the afternoon. We were informed that the restaurant at the historic site was booked out and that another one does not open on Tuesdays. We ended up going to Fox and Hounds with no booking and they fitted us in. The decor is amazing and the atmosphere is warm and friendly. The staff were amazing, advised us of all the specials. I ordered the lamb chops ( sorry it was something mutton but I can't recall what it was) and my husband ordered the Knights of Olde which was steak with garlic prawns and scallops. Both meals came with chips and salad ( you can have vegetables instead) and were massive, I could not finish mine. We did consider dessert but as I couldn't finish mine we didn't. Meals was just delicious i do have photos but cannot get them to the iPad from the samsung right now. Staff were telling me about how they had that many bookings for dinner, but due to the amount of walk ins they had no tables. So we were very lucky. Will definitely be back!!!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicole M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Devonport, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

Booking my stay at the Fox and hound was the most pleasurable part of the stay. I had emailed them about availability over the new year period and they responded quickly telling me they had no motel rooms left but did have a 2 bed room apartment they would let be have at 160 a night, what a wonderful deal i thought.
When we arrived i was greeted by a lovely reception lady and made our way to our room where we were met by our neighbors investigating a loud banging noise, they said it had been happening all night and would report it to reception and i thought nothing more of it and headed up to the restaurant for dinner.( don't bother, over priced prepackaged deep fried food)
On returning to our room we discovered that the banging had become louder and more frequent, with some investigating realized that that is was a pump house next to our bedroom. i called reception and asked if there was anything that could be done and they replied that unfortunately the main pump was broken and that someone would be around the next day to fix it and offered a complementary breakfast.
I assumed that the banging would stop during the night when people weren't running water. How wrong i was. When we woke on the second day with very little sleep we did see 2 men in the pump house and thought every thing would be ok and headed out for the day. On our return at 4:30 we were greeted by the loud banging once again and no sight of the 2 men that were supposed to be fixing it. My partner decided to read some reviews and found one from 2 YEARS AGO! complaining about the same thing. Fearing another sleepless night i headed up to reception to be told that it wouldn't be fixed until the next day. i asked if they had another room but they were booked out so told them that i could not possibly spend another night in that room and that i was leaving and would only be paying for one night.

I believe after reading the review from 2 years ago about the same issue that this is an on going issue and that they only put people in that room at peak times and that is why they offered it to me cheaply but that being said has left a sour taste in my mouth and i will not be back. If you decide to stay at the Fox and Hound make sure you ask not to be put in apartment 33.

Room Tip: look else where
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank grump1981

Travelers are raving about these Port Arthur hotels

Cairns, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

The worst meal in tasmania. For the price of $38.50, I ordered a queens banquet with hot and cold seafood. The fish was disgustinging, fresh water basa I am most sure, and no amount of tartare could save it ... and the calamari was not real but highly processed cheap frozen calamari, needless to say the rest of the meal was equally as bad. Lets say i arrived hungry and left equally as hungry as it was so horrid. I would be incredibly embarrassed if I owned this establishment. We had better dinner at the cafe down the road the night before for a quarter of the price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sara W
Wentworthville, NSW
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

One night spent here and that was enough. I found the place 'spooky' - maybe it was because I'd visited Port Arthur beforehand. The room was large, I'll give it that, with a sofa, table & chairs, but the bed was as hard as a rock. Even though early December, the weather was cold and the room hard to heat, plus there was 1 inch gap under the front door, letting in a draught. I also had a couple of "unpaid" guests, a 'daddy-long-legs' (spider) in the shower stall and woodlice, bathroom floor. Towels hard and well used, no shampoo/soap (only dispenser) or shower hat. A noisy weird-looking bathroom exhaust fan. And to top it all, the tv reception is non-existent, so be warned - it kept going off the channel. My room was upstairs, no lift, so you have to lug your bag up. Thin walls, could hear my neighbour. My room did have a large window overlooking the lake, with a couple of black swans and there are beautiful white gum trees about the lake. That's the only good thing I can come up with.
I did have a 3 course meal in the restaurant, which was quite good, except for the "fresh" barramundi, which was frozen before cooking so I found out, it had no taste. The rest of the food was good, so was the buffet brekky next morning. I gather the inn was trying to create a Christmas atmosphere, with all the windows covered in black curtains, the log fire and xmas lights, but it was so lovely & light outside still and so I felt very 'closed in'. It would have been better with the curtains open and a candle on the table. What made me laugh the next morning, was one of the serving staff, a young guy, wearing a baseball hat on backwards, taking away the used crockery in the dining room. I'd say that's a NO NO. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed here one night recently with family. Had two rooms next to each other. Parking is easy as it is directly outside rooms. Restaurant is very good. The meals are lovely and service good. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

As I was travelling with family with easy access needs good staff who are willing to help are essential to helping everyone enjoying their stay. They are here and I highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Fox and Hounds Inn for 2 nights and overall it was pretty alright. The rooms were clean and the views were absolutely gorgeous. Also the proximity to the heritage site was excellent. Food wise a bit overpriced but decent. Not too bad for a motel I guess!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Although we didn't stay overnight, we had two wonderful dining experiences. The staff were accommodating and friendly and the meals were fantastic! Thanks for helping us out when the place we were staying - Port Arthur Motor Inn could not provide ANY food service whatsoever. We shall book with the Fox and Hounds next time we stay in Port Arthur. Thanks again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Port Arthur
Sea Change Safety Cove
Sea Change Safety Cove
#1 of 1 in Port Arthur

Been to The Fox and Hounds Inn? Share your experiences!