We checked into this hotel on Friday 6 January. Having visited the Port Arthur historical site that day we learned that there was a fire on the Tasman Peninsula. We decided to stay at the Fox & Hounds for the night rather than risk driving to Dunalley which was where the fire was heading. Having just arrived within 15 minutes the power had gone out. We had no lighting, no airconditioning (it was 39 degrees in the room) and no water which meant we couldn't flush the toilet as their water supply is generated by electric pumps. We were very concerned and asked the owner/manager what was happening. She explained that it was due to the fire. We then asked if we would be safe staying there. She told us just to familiarise ourselves with the water. (The Fox & Hounds Inn is surrounded by heavy, dense bushland). She said that she would knock on our door if the fire was getting closer! We were very worried and thought we might try and head back to the Port Arthur historic site as it was more open with less bushland around and being completely surrounded by water we would feel safer there. She told us that we couldn't go there as they had told her not to send people down as they would be sent back! We had booked to stay for dinner, but with no lighting and power this wasn't going to happen and she didn't offer us any alternative options. We ended up going to the Port Arthur historic site regardless as we were very worried about our safety. The staff at Port Arthur did a fantastic job looking after the hundreds of people who sought refuge there and provided us with food and drinks. Luckily we managed to get a ferry from Nubeena to Hobart later that night which the staff at Port Arthur had arranged for those who wanted to get back. The next day I rang up Fox & Hounds Inn and tried to explain why we had left in a hurry. The lady who answered the phone was so rude and told me that we would still be charged $50.00 for using the room as they would have to clean it! I explained that we couldn't use anything as there was no lighting and power and we didn't stay long. She was very rude and said "You have no idea what an emergency fire situation is!" and hung up on me. We will never stay at this hotel ever again. The staff were so rude. They didn't have a fire evacuation plan in place and they didn't try to reassure their guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fox & Hounds Inn is an Olde English Tudor style hotel situated only 2km from Port Arthur. We have both motel style and two bedroom self contained villa accommodation separate from the main hotel. Landscaped gardens, water views, tennis court, children's playground, native wildlife, private jetty, restaurant, bar and bottle shop make this the ideal place to stay when visiting the area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Fox and Hounds Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fox And Hounds Hotel Port Arthur
- The Fox And Hounds Inn Port Arthur, Tasmania