“Awesome”

Port Arthur Historic Site 2-Day Pass
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Port Arthur
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Port Arthur Historic Site is the best-preserved convict settlement in Australia and among the most significant convict era sites in the world. It has won many awards and has been called one of Australia's great tourism destinations. The Site combines rich history and scenic beauty to tell the stories of the harsh discipline and determined industry of the settlement. It is a place to discover Australian history and connect with the origins of Australian culture.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was our second visit to Port Arthur in 6 months and the main reason for this visit was to go the Island of The Dead and the Ghost Tour, the Island of the Dead is well worth the visit, we then had dinner at the restaurant we were blown away with the meal, had to be one of the best we had on this trip around Tasmania and it was included in the deal we got with the Ghost Tour. The Ghost Tour was excellent, we could not have asked or had a better guide, Mel was great had us laughing and jumping out of our skins all the way through the tour, and she knew her stuff which made it very informative, also she pointed out the Aurora Australis which was putting on a show that night and everyone loved it. As a person who loves to try and take photos Mel explained in simple terms where to go to photograph it from after the tour and to my surprise she was there taking photos when I arrived and was still more than happy to chat about Port Arthur and the Aurora Australis while I was there. I would recommend this and would say it is a must do on your list.

1  Thank Glenn W
Write a ReviewReviews (3,943)
All reviews
in 46 reviews
"well worth the visit"
in 56 reviews

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The scenery of Port Arthur is breathtaking. The ruins fascinating, and the history haunting. I swear I felt a ghostly presence in the Asylum, and therefore did not go on the nightly Ghost Tour, but I did send my husband who thoroughly enjoyed it. The day tour was well worth it and the boat trip was great.
The café is average, but adequate.
All the staff were helpful, entertaining and welcoming.

1  Thank molimu
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I enjoyed wandering among the old ruins and strolling the well kept grounds...
We were there in December and the weather was nice....
For those with an interest in the history of Australia.... a definite stop.

1  Thank ClemsonTiger1996
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Absolutely loved this place. I got the bronze ticket which included the cruise and the guided tour. I never enjoy follow groups in a tour so I walked around on my own. There is so much info about each site/ establishment on signs and plaques with photos and maps. I took many photos of the beautiful gardens and surrounding grounds. They have definitively done such a great job with preserving the history there. Heaps of restrooms so very family friendly.
It took me the whole day to see all there was to see and was very disappointed to see full priced tickets being sold to tourists at an hour before closing and watching them rush (actually running) from building to building to fit as much in. I think they should not sell tickets after midday.

1  Thank Laurel C
Kate M, Public Relations Manager at Port Arthur Historic Site, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for your review Laurel C - we are pleased you enjoyed your time at Port Arthur Historic Site and appreciate your feedback.

We make a huge effort through all of our marketing and visitor information to advise potential visitors that in our view, they need at minimum, half a day to make the most of their time at the site - this is also the minimum amount of time anybody would require to take advantage of the inclusions of their basic Bronze Pass (ie: the guided tour, the harbour cruise etc..)

We understand that many visitors to Tasmania are trying to squeeze in all the marvelous sights the state has to offer and while we regret to hear that people are rushing about trying to fit in as much of this vast site in one hour, this is also one of the reasons that our passes allow access for two consecutive days.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you here again soon.