“An excellent choice”
Review of Explorers Lodge

Explorers Lodge
Ranked #4 of 12 New Norfolk B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I can't recommend Explorers Lodge highly enough. We had the Balcony En Suite B & B accommodation.
The sun room, gardens and lounge area with complimentary Port were much appreciated.
Breakfast was especially enjoyable with fresh fruit and home cooked bread to die for.
New Norfolk is such a pretty place and so close to Mt Field National Park, so many things to do and see. Unfortunately, I pulled a muscle in my back on the second day and had to return to bed for the afternoon. Our hosts Liz and Nigel were wonderful, providing me with heat packs and even crutches!!! Our lovely sunny room had balconies,TV and our own tea/coffee making facilities, so my enforced rest time was so much easier to bear. I hope to come back for a longer stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank margaret b
Liztas, Owner at Explorers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you very much, certainly appreciated. We were glad that we were able to help you out in a small way and enjoyed meeting the four of you. Hope to see all of you again sometime.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

11/10 for hospitality - Liz and Nigel went out of their way to make us feel welcome, lent guide books and umbrellas and provided for us fussy Brits e.g. leaf tea and a teapot in our room!!

8/10 for cleanliness - room was clean but a little dusty

We thought the price was a little high (we stayed at Freycinet for similar price).

We recommend Explorers Lodge which is an ideal base to visit Hobart and surrounding area.

Thank you for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hathersage
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

About time we replied!!

Tim and Deborah many thanks for your kind words and we take note of all you have written!
A point about the price: we are sure you must have had a very special rate at Freycinet Lodge as the full tariff for their cheaper accommodation is almost 3 times that of our rooms.
Although we rate our Lodge very highly, we do not aspire to compare ourselves with Freycinet Lodge!
We enjoyed having you to stay and hope you return to Tassie oneday.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

I'm a senior lady who prefers to travel solo. Tasmania is my passion, and I've been spending my annual vacations there for the past 8 years. I'm fussy about my accommodation, and although I have to holiday within a budget, I also like to be comfortable. The fact that I've returned to Explorers' Lodge for the past 4 years, says a great deal about the quality of this lovely B&B in New Norfolk. Over the years I've stayed in each of the four guest rooms, and one day plan to book the self-contained unit - except then I would miss the hearty breakfast served by hosts Liz and Nigel Ashby. Unlike many B&Bs who tell you breakfast is served strictly between 7.30am and 8.30am, and that's that, at Explorers' Lodge there is a degree of flexibility offered to travellers who might have to get away early, or who have arrived late the night before and don't want to front up too early the next morning. The rooms, and beds, are all very comfortable; all have ensuites, and one room has a bath as well. Another attraction is the lovely sunroom, that offers the facility of a refrigerator for guest use, and the sunken lounge/TV room - with a decanter of port for guests to help themselves. The garden, too, is a delight, and is also available for guest use. This B&B offers great value for money, and is a place where a traveller can truly relax and feel genuinely welcome.

Room Tip: It's best to speak to owners, or email them, with your requirements. If they can help you, they...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 17, 2012

This B&B was located on wotif but I decided to phone ahead and see if I could book the room direct, was told the specific room was already booked, I queried that it was still available on the web site, was told that it wasn't, but could have another room at $10 more. decided to go back via web and booked it at original price, either owners were telling porky's or shifted other quests around, I have my suspicions!!! The room was small for a queen bed, did have a ensuite and continential breakfast. free port was offered. we retired to our room for an early night. I think that the B&B was over priced and would have thought $70 - $85 would be fair. the room had a strange smell, couldn't put my finger on it! The bed was comfy...but no room for suitcases.

Room Tip: choose a room with private bathroom, but this comes at a cost
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michellejeanette
Liztas, Owner at Explorers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

We had no ulterior motive and no clandestine plot was intended. This is not our nature. The other guests in the B&B section on Friday were staying with us for their fourth time, and in the room which they had booked months before. So nobody was “shifted around”. Another party had already booked the reviewer's room by telephone (half an hour before the reviewer’s call) but we did not register this on the internet soon enough. These people failed to arrive; we have since heard from them and they apologised for not cancelling. Had these guests arrived we would have given them the Balcony Room; this is our prerogative. We have the name and phone number if verification is needed.

The rubber covering on the flat roof adjacent to that room does sometimes emit a rubbery odour when rain is followed by warmer weather. We will try to devise a means of dealing with the matter. The large built-in cupboard in the room is recognised by Triple A ratings as suitable for luggage.

The guests who wrote the previous review on Tripadvisor stayed in the same room for two days. Their review indicates that they were satisfied with the room and that they appreciated the other facilities such as the large sitting room, sunroom, and the garden, all in a peaceful location.

All of our rooms have private bathrooms, including the room the reviewer occupied. We have 4 rooms in the B&B section: 2 small at $110 double and 2 larger at $125 double.

The price includes a substantial continental breakfast (with homemade bread), complimentary port and free wi-fi. There is more to an overnight stay than the size of a room. The quality of the mattress, the double pillows, the extra towels, the linen, hairdryer, electric blankets, heater and fan, soap and shampoo, as well as good quality toilet tissue all go towards a pleasant overnight stay. This would not be available at Pub rates: ($70- $85).

We regret that the reviewer was not pleased with what we offer. We take serious note of any dissatisfaction.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

I have been to a few B&Bs now and I have to say that this is my favorite so far. Great rooms, great hosts great location, lovely breakfast and lovely room to sit and read or watch TV.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank rcarlyle
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Spent one night only on our travels but could easily have stayed longer. Very friendly hosts, nice room tastefully decorated, comfortable and clean, beautiful gardens.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nosleep_12
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We've spent three nights at Explorers Lodge. The hosts (Liz and Nigel) were very flexible to our requests. They have accomodated our late arrival and served really good breakfast with Tasmanian Leatherwood honey. They are ready to help and explain all sightseeings around.

The house is really homelike, there is plenty of space for parking, the sunroom (porch) is a nice place to spend evening. There is also a drawing-room, so this place is really different from other B&Bs in that there is a lot of common space even when it's raining outside.

We have been travelling with a small girl and have booked smaller room (bigger one was not available for the first night) and later on moved to James Cook room which is for three persons, yet it is much bigger and comfortable, so my tip would be to go for a bigger room if one is available.

The location is very good if you are going to explore Mt. Field national park or MONA gallery (which was really a must see in Tasmania), yet the location is about 30 minute drive from downtown Hobart.

Room Tip: James Cook room is a good choice.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family