“disappointing all round”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Miena
Central Highlands Lodge
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were the only people staying that were not contractors working on the hydro schemes so it was like Picadilly Circus when they all got up and drove their vans away at 05.30.
Also, the walls to the rooms are paper thin so we had to listen to the neighbour's snoring all night too- eventually forcing us to leave a day early. The food was below average and the place generally would benefit from an upgrade.
The manager promised to post a video charger that we left in the room but, surprise, surprise, it never materialised.
Pretty poor all round- would not consider returning.

Room Tip: bring some ear plugs and a eat somewhere else- don't expect any assistance from the staff.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank TheParkCottage
There are newer reviews for Central Highlands Lodge

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Spa Room (and bathroom) were modern, clean and well equipped. Plenty of space, 2 heaters and electric blankets. Needless to say it got pretty cold outside but inside was toasty warm. Bathroom was spacious and appeared newly refurbished. Loved the huge spa and heated towel rack. Great accomodation!
Food at the restaurant was mostly edible (more than I can say for my waaay overcooked steak) but nothing you couldn't put together at home. Restaurant prices didn't seem at all appropriate for the quality of food. A let down. I'd suggest seeking an alternative. Very basic breakfast available to take to your room the night before.
Service was friendly, helpful and reasonably casual, as you expect from owner-managers.
Excellent- except for dinner.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank A Y
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a few days in Jan 2013 on our visit from Canada. I had 3 days booked for fly fishing in the Central Highlands around Miena and decided to book a room here for our stay.

It is a perfect fit for a fishing excursion, and for travellers in general to this area. It is a rustic but clean place that fits the setting it's in perfectly.

Our room was fairly large, with a queen size bed, a dining table & chairs, a couch and a small kitchen area with mini fridge etc. There was also a separate bedroom with 2 additional beds, which my wife & I did not need but it made a good spot for our luggage.

The bathroom is adequate but only has a shower - no tub.

As mentioned, it is a cute and rustic place that suits it's location. You should not expect a 5-star place, but it is not billed as that either. For a couple or family, it's just fine. For a fisherman, it's all you need and a bit more.

There is a good pub/restaurant attached with all you should need to stay fed & watered. The food was better than expected and the service was good. As an example, one night my wife ordered a steak medium-rare and it came well done. We mentioned to the manager that this was not as ordered and he profusely apologized and promptly replaced the meal with a new one, cooked to order. The rest of our meals were really good. There is also a good selection of beer & wine & spirits if desired. We were quite happy with the food. Please remember where you are if you travel to this area of Tasmania and realize how good the food and service is given how remote a location you are in.

I have stayed at the Great Lakes Lodge in Miena prior to my stay at the Central Highlands Lodge and I would rate my stay at the Central Highlands Lodge as a superior experience to my previous stay at the Great Lakes Lodge.

My wife enjoyed our stay here as well and we will definitely stay here again next time we visit the area. It is a cute and enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gtinckler
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Booked this accomodation due to its location as my husband and i were taking a few days to travel round tasmania. A little intimidating on arrival but only because we were probably the only tourists in a big group of fishermen but there was a warm welcome and the staff were friendly. The food was really good! There was quite a bit of driving on unsealed roads to get here and perhaps not so good in a little hire car (however this was our fault for not looking into this beforehand!). The room was nice and clean but a little cold.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen B
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is in the Central Highlands. The middle of Tasmania, the middle of nowhere if you are a tourist. Or the middle of fishing heaven if you hunt trout.

The accommodation here is basic. The three star rating generous when compared to city accommodation but who cares? This is the only place to stay up here (there is the pub but that is another sad story).

The staff try hard, are friendly and welcoming, the rooms are clean if seriously in need of some TLC in basic maintenance.
It's been on the market for some time and I look forward to some rejuvenation that new ownership will bring.

In the meantime it remains my mountain 'shack', visited periodically when I hunt the wily trout.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank wolfsbite
Reviewed June 2, 2012

On our second trip to Tasmania we decided to spend a day in Mienna just to see what was there.
That was our big mistake.
We should have stayed for a week.

Never having experienced snow (from W.A.) we were delighted to be caught in a heavy snow fall so much so that we had to leave the way we came in as the other road out was not recommended to travel without a full 4WD.

We had hoped to sight a bit of snow but Mienna gave us a unforgetable experience that we are still talking about to anyone who will listen.
Arriving early pm. during a light snowfall we booked in to a beautifull little timber lined cabin with electric blankets, floor heating and a electric oil heater.

LCD TV and all cooking facilities with a outside nook to sit in (weather permitting) make it a perfect place to spend a week just relaxing.

A briliant meal in the main lodge beside a roaring fire followed by a few drinks to wind up a great day.

The snow increased overnight and in the morning our car was covered in a inch of snow with the temperature well below zero.

The new owner/managers had just completed their first week since taking over and still finding their way but they are both lovely friendly people and i am sure will succeed with there new challenge.

The old staff are still working at the lodge and are also dedicated people who know how to look after guests.

Sadly we had to leave as we had ongoing bookings but i will return and stay longer next time.

Overall we rate our stay in Mienna in our top 3 out 20 nights in Tasmania.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trevorb2506
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My son and me stayed in this lodge during a 4 day fishing trip to the Central Highland Lakes. The lodge overlooks the Great Lake and is a perfect base for fishing in this spectacular part of Tasmania. There is precious little in the way of accommodation other than cabins in this area, so if you like to have a little service this is your place.

The sleeping accommodation is in a series of wooden cabins, simply but comfortably furnished and with a countertop, sink, fridge, etc. The main building contains a restaurant and comfortable bar, warmed with roaring log fires. The food was great - especially when caught yourself and prepared by the lodge's cook! - and there was always the chance of a friendly chat in the bar afterwards. Be warned, though, that the main lodge building does not open til 6 pm, so breakfast comes packed the night before and there is no lunch ... but what the heck would you be doing in the lodge at lunchtime when there is so much to see anyway! ;))

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here, and I do not think you have to be into fishing - just go and stay and enjoy the scenery and the atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miena
Forest Walks Lodge
Highland Cabins and Cottages at Bronte Park
Bronte Park Village
Bronte Park Village
#1 of 1 in Bronte Park

Been to Central Highlands Lodge? Share your experiences!