“Friendly and welcoming”

Walton House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Huonville B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I turned up early evening with no booking which was no problem at all. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in, the bath enormous, didn't try the breakfast but it looked very good. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
WaltonHouse, Owner at Walton House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Thank you for your lovely review. It is always our pleasure to make our guests feel welcome and at home. Hopefully see you next time you visit Tasmania.

Reviewed March 26, 2011

It is the little touches that make this B&B that extra bit special. Port and chocolate in the room, replenished daily, a double shower, and a teapot! We were lucky enough to stay for 4 nights and could easily have spent longer in this area as there is plenty to do if you like outdoor activities. John and Tanya were very helpful with recommending local activities and eateries. They were always on hand if you needed help, and were happy to book any tours. Their home-made bread is a triumph!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2011

OMG, they don't come much better than this for the price?! I'd read the reviews herein, looked at their website, and what decided me was the Dream of that DEEP Bath in the Eliza Suite, to be able to soak away the cares of a long and arduous days travel from hot and humid post-flood Brisbane, Hmmmm....!

Tassie, at least Hobart, was surprisingly dry and brown, ( the Rain Shadown effect?!) after the green of Qld, so once I travelled "down the Channel" as the Taswegians call it, the English like countryside of the Huon Valley was more like the Tassie we all see on TV, a verdant land of Foodies, Artists and Adventures!

Walton House B 'n B beckoned and I couldn't wait......! Surprisingly a bit difficult to find, not being Directly in the centre of town, but Just Over the Bridge on the way down south...They could do with Better Signage from the local council I reckon? I nearly missed the it! (Its on the Right, Immediately After the Bridge....)

The whole place is set back off the road, so you get little traffic noise and there is ample parking. There is a quiet, genteel ambience about the house externally and inside also with the period furnishings in the English style throughout the property. The relatively new hosts, John and Tanya were very friendly and welcoming from the outset.

I chose the Eliza Suite with its large, comfy bed and Deep, Full Size Bath. All the amenities to be expected were present, a decent size digital TV, a well stocked minibar, chocs, home made cookies and Port for after dinner snacking! The bathroom was well stocked with good quality bath/shower products also. Staying in this suite for the night was rather like being one of the spoilt, rich landed gentry of Tassie's yesteryear!

The hosts will provide all the info you need re. dining options in Huonville which has several quality eateries I noted as I drove into town earlier. Feeling tired from my travels I decided against dinner and after a heart-stopping cuppa and a bickie, opted for a long indulgent soak, and needless to say a port or three, whilst daydreaming amongst the bubbles..! Slept like a log that night.....

The next morning's Continental Breakfast had home made bread, fresh seasonal compote of berries, stone fruit and apples, choice of cereal, juice, and great tea /coffee. Another guest decided on the option of a hot breakfast which was of ample proportions and indeed I lingered at the table longer than I would have as the conversation with our engaging hosts was so pleasant.

What I think I like most about Walton House and its hosts was the fact that you didn't feel like you were being "rushed " out the door as soon as breakfast was done, (as is sometimes the case at B & B's)...... you felt like you might at a favourite relatives house, warmly welcome and part of the family... Consequently, I didn't really want to leave I felt so "at home" and indeed I didn't leave until after 11 AM that morning?!

Thanks guys for making me feel so welcome, you can bet I will return if I get the chance, and have already told an acquaintence travelling to Tas about you, so hope she lands on your doorstep soon?! Cheers.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Echoing the comments of the previous reviewer. We had a wonderful night's stay at this beautiful property. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. John and Tanya's attention to detail meant that everything we required was easily accessible. Breakfast was amazing with fresh local fruit salad (raspberries, blueberries and cherries in season), quality yoghurt and jams, homemade bread, fresh eggs and an unending supply of freshly brewed tea and coffee. We enjoyed our stay and would have loved to spend a few more nights there exploring the area and enjoying John and Tanya's warm hospitality.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed October 29, 2010

The place itself is well maintained with great attention to detail that would stand up to the most thorough inspection.
The room was large and luxurious. When we arrived there was some delicious port to welcome us in the room with some cookies and chocolates. The bed was big and comfortable and the scene of the mountains outside the front window was a refreshing scene to wake up to.
Also with the fridge in the room the prices are reasonable (not like some places where they charge ridiculous prices for anything from the room fridge).
The owners (John and Tanya) who manage this place treated us respectfully and made us feel most welcome and comfortable. I really appreciated their travel advice and assistance.
On the second day, on returning from a long hike. we found the port, cookies and chocolates all refilled ! Wow, nice, and so I put up my sore tired feet onto the welcoming bed and sipped on my port and nibbled my snacks and realised what it must feel like to be a king. What a nice way to come home. And the room was again so clean and terrific again.
They have a good TV and DVD player in the room with lots of DVD titles to chose from. Breakfast is top notch too. They make their own bread so the toast is excellent and they make real coffee (like in the cafes) for you and these people are very generous with their time and effort.
On second night took a walk over the bridge to the pizza place and ate a pizza down by the Huon river. Huonville is a cosy and pretty little town.
This place is genuinely a good place to stay - not just for a first few minutes but for the entire stay. The owners are genuinely good and honest, hard working people who are definitely the right people doing the right job.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We had a week in Tasmania , primarily to look at real estate, my husband and I have traveled extensively and stayed in many b and b's, this is one of the best. John and Tanya only took over this business earlier this year having never run a b and b, but you certainly wouldn't know it, their attention to detail is beyond reproach, Tanya even had the local real estate brochures for us to look at. Breakfast is brilliant and hearty!!, they have complimentary chocolates and biscuits in the room, fluffy towels, crisp sheets, I could have stayed for ever, can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Great location - easy to find, plentiful parking and only a few minutes walk from town centre. Warm and very friendly welcome from Mark and Di and extremely comfortable bedroom and bathroom en suite, providing every conceivable amenity even down to the bowl of sweets replenished daily! Delicious cooked breakfast and home made jam not to be missed! Excellent recommendations from Mark meant we enjoyed some great food and wine locally and found Walton House an ideal location from which to explore the Huon Valley.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple