“Rude hosts and dirty "Rumah Kita" ruined great location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coles Bay
Sheoaks Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 5 Coles Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed two nights in Rumah Kita, a property managed by the owners of Sheoaks. Despite the property having a magnificent location, the experience was ruined by the uncleanliness of the house and the appallingly rude hosts. It seems the hosts had little concern for this property, and we felt like third rate guests. Our initial email correspondence isolated between very helpful and detailed information and some very curt responses. When we arrived the place was dirty and unkempt. The windows were simply filthy, obscuring the great views, and the house was filled with dust and cobwebs. We felt we had to clean everything before we could use it.

When I complained to Allen (Owner of Sheoak) the next day. He was outright rude and belligerent. He refused to believe that there was anything wrong with the property, and when I suggested that we look at the house together (a 50m walk on the same street) he said he didn't have time. He began ranting at my wife and I as we stood there stunned, saying how hard-working the cleaning woman is and how long he and his wife had been managing properties. It was a shocking experience.

The next day Allan sent me an email to apologise and offer a discount on our rate. I appreciated the gesture, but it did little to wipe out the experience from the previous day.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank MCB188113

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Friends and I stayed in Currawong House recently, a self contained property managed by the Sheoaks owners. It was a beautifully made and cared for A-Frame house, with three lovely bedrooms and a gorgeous looking bathroom. Had no issue whilst we were there - the kitchen and living room both had small gas heaters which did the job and beds had electric blankets to keep the chill away. The kitchen was very spacious and well equipped for long term stays (big stove/oven/fridge/bench etc). I only wish that we could have stayed longer in Coles Bay as the place was simply gorgeous. I would highly recommend staying at Currawong, there is a spacious backyard too, so very family friendly. If the weather is sunny and warm (it wasnt whilst we were there!) there are some lovely spots in the garden to sit and enjoy. The Sheoaks managers were away but posted me a map of Coles Bay and to get there, attractions etc and seemed very helpful. If I ever visit Coles Bay again (and I hope I will), Currawong House will be the place to stay! Thought it was a very good price too.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here with my brother in law and his wife when we spent a week touring Tasmania in mid March 2013. This is a B&B of the highest standard; purpose designed, immaculately clean, excellent facilities and great food. We had dinner with Margaret and Alan, thoroughly enjoyable with very good local wine. A superb breakfast the next morning set us up for the climb to view wineglass bay. And Alan's a Harper Adams man too, naturally!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We rented a house under their management for 2 days in January. The friendly demeanor we had grown accustomed to from the people of Tasmania was nowhere to be found when we checked in with this facility: Upon entering the house upon arrival, the first thing the owner said was "you are 10 minutes early!" (check in time was 3 pm and I came in at 2.50 pm). No "welcome" or a million other things one could say. I was tempted to turn around. Other than this, the location was perfect and the rental unit had everything we needed. As it turned out, this was the only blemish during our Tasmania experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sheoaks. You couldn't ask for a better location - it's a quick ride to Freycinet Park and after a day of hiking, it was relaxing to take a walk out the back deck to a quiet beach and watch the sunset. Just perfect!

Alan and Margaret were gracious hosts - always willing to make a recommendation and point us in the right direction. Margaret is an impressive cook. Some B&B provide skimpy breakfast and you're hungry by 10am. Not here - the breakfast was plenty ample and very tasty. We loved it so much that we stayed in one evening and signed up for a home cooked dinner with our hosts.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Alan and Margaret were fantastic hosts - friendly and very informative. After booking, they sent a Tasmania guide through the post and directions via email. Upon arrival, Alan took us through all the info on Sheoaks and the area.

The B&B was impeccably clean, well appointed, comfortable, with amazing views of Coles Bay? The location was fantastic, with direct beach access and just a few Kms from Coles Bay.

I think the number one thing about Sheoaks was the food - hearty breakfasts, substantial packed lunches, and unbelievable smells from the kitchen that made us regret not eating dinner there.

If I'm ever back in Tasmania, I'll be back at Sheoaks.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in Feb 2013 and almost cannot fault Sheoaks.

The house is excellent and guest's rooms are clean and have very comfy beds. The only issue as others have mentioned is slight flooding from the shower but a well placed bath mat controlled it well enough for us. There are wonderful views out over the bay.

I do not understand the complaints I have read about Alan and Margerat. We found them to be very friendly. Alan has a great, dry sense of humour. Margerat was full of great information and gave us some excellent tips for our ongoing journey to Hobart.

We took the package with all meals included and the food was outstanding. The lovely wine with our meal was an unexpected bonus.

I would also like to thank Margaret for the email she sent me with places to stop at on our drive from Launceston to Coles Bay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Coles Bay
Swansea Motor Inn
Swansea Motor Inn
#2 of 3 in Swansea

Been to Sheoaks Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!