Saffire Freycinet
Edge of the Bay Resort(Coles Bay)(Great Value!)
$231
  • Restaurant
$61
Priceline
Swansea Motor Inn(Swansea)(Great Value!)
$70
Beachfront Bicheno(Bicheno)(Great Value!)
$122
$104
TripAdvisor
Man O' Ross Hotel(Ross)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
$83
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfood and wineschouten islandoystersdegustation menuhobart airportsaffire loungefarm tourexecutive chefcooking demonstrationmoment you arrivetasmanian devilsspa treatmentswineglass baymemorable experiencemixology classsignature suitesouthern ocean lodge
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We had a lovely stay at Saffire and enjoyed some excellent food and wine. The staff were wonderful and engaging from the moment you arrive. Nothing was too much trouble and the quality of the food and wines was excellent. The General Manger checked in with us several times during our stay which was a nice connection to have with the property. The design of the property is stunning and makes the most of the spectacular view.

Although not complaints as such some styling of the property seemed out of character with the resorts concept. I found the intense branding on everything from tissue boxes and telephones to glass wear unwarranted and not in keeping with the understated ultra luxury that the marketing, property and staff exude. I found the dining chairs in the main restaurant felt and look more like executive board room chairs and are not in keeping with the architecture. The female staff's uniform seemed very ridged/outdated and not to have been designed with any inspiration taken from the surrounding environment of the landscape or architecture. Finally, the small gift shop seems to have expanded from its small room and out into the library area which I found detracted from my enjoyment of the space and the overall ultra luxury concept of the property.

These are small things and if sorted out will truly bring this property into the ultra luxury stakes.
Most importantly the room was lovely, the staff are wonderful, the food and wines were excellent and the scenery is stunning which is what we went for.

Room Tip: Find out all there is to do on property and contact the staff pre-arrival to organise your itinerary so you can make the very most of your stay.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Wow, just came back from another sensational stay at this most wonderful property. This was our third visit to Saffire in 18 months having previously stayed as a couple. We travelled as a family this time and our two girls aged 5 and 7 were given the six star treatment from the time of arrival at the Saffire Hobart Lounge till the final moment of departure.

Service - We were met by Peter at the lounge at arrival and the lounge facilities and his welcoming attitude set us in the mood for 4 nights of relaxation.
After a 2.5 hour scenic drive we arrived to be warmly greeted by Micah, the Guest Sevices Manager and Justin, the GM

Whilst our baggage and car were sorted out for us and with champagne in hand we were shown our lovely pavilion. It was a super spacious environment, but also amazingly set up perfectly for our children. They were given toy "Tassie Devils" and children's books as a welcome gift.

At all times we were made to feel like true valued guests. Nothing was too difficult. The high consistency of the service standards are a testament to the culture of the place and its management.

Food- One of the key reasons we keep coming back is the amazing flavours and the imaginative menu of food that is on offer. Simon and the team were magicians in the way they bring out the best in the local fresh produce. The local wines were perfectly matched to our food. My wife and I are keen foodies and we feel the quality of food at Saffire is better than the best of what we have had in our home town Melbourne !

Thanks to Jeff who was our chef in our in room dining experience. We had a great night of food, wine and conversation. Thanks for entertaining to the kids many questions.

Kids - Our children were comprehensively and outstandingly looked after by the staff at Saffire.
They were doted on by the caring staff and all their specific culinary desires were met.
One of our kids has lactose intolerance and special lactose free deserts and meals were made, so as she was made to feel special and not left out.

They enjoyed the walks to the beach, both guided and unguided. Swimming in the heated plunge pool, Fishing at coles bay (1 bite only), playing with the ipads in the lounge (free wifi) and the Schouten Island cruise.

Activities - I have on previous posts mentioned the great experiences to be had here but on this occasion we went on a cruise to Schouten Island which should not be missed. We were fortunate to get up close to a colony of seals which thrilled the kids. Impressive was the knowledge our our Saffire guides, James and Jerri, of the history and geography of the area.

Special Mention to the following people who made our stay so memorable

Micah,Lisa, Jess, Matthew, Cameron and Natasha - always smiling and warm and took time to have a chat and made sure we and the children were looked after

Simon the head chef, Jeff and Corey - thanks for looking after our kids and the amazing food you guys make. Kelly, your deserts are to die for.

Bronwyn - My wife thoroughly enjoyed being pampered at the spa Saffire

and Justin the GM for helping make this place better each time we come.

FInally we asked the kids why they wanted to come back to Saffire next year?
Their reply was simple and honest - "The food and the people there"
Thanks for a most relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Hillofgrace
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The service and standards of the hotel outweigh the location and views (the location and views are amazing). There are not many hotels that offer exceptional customer service ie. above and beyond standards - Saffire exceeded those. From arriving at the front door there was a personal welcome and most importantly a glass of champagne as you step foot through the front door.

The main hotel was immaculate and interior design very tasteful. The room was amazing - all the little touches ie mini bar items, chocolates, toiletries - all included within the package. Each day there were changes ie. freshly cooked pastries/cakes in the evening within your room. When we got back from dinner there was herbal tea waiting and a hot water bottle put down the bottom of the bed to warm it up....

Each evening we choose the Degustation selection for dinner and wines chosen for each course - pure delight. Lunch was included within the package and was just as amazing. Each morning we had breakfast in our room - all fresh and hot.

The senior management team were in-house each evening to talk to guests. We happened to mention to the Guest Relations Manager that we needed a comb as my husband had forgotten his brush - the next day, the comb was in our room.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this property and we will come back again. Thank you to Justin and the team.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jinnine r
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Saffire Freycinet has been on my holiday wish-list since it opened. At first glance, it is extraordinarily expensive, and perhaps hard to justify for most, however I can honestly say it is truly worth every cent.
Our 'experience' started on arrival Hobart airport - where the delightful Peter was waiting to collect our bags and take us to the Saffire Lounge (Qantas Club does not compare) which he had opened especially early just for us. After a quick refreshment we set off for the 2.5 hour drive to Coles Bay.
The lodge is easy to find without GPS, and well signed. As you drive into the property the giant Manta-ray shaped lodge looms into view, framed by the spectacular Hazards. Before we even had time to turn off the car, a smiling face (guest manager Celeste)had appeared in the rain to usher us inside (we didn't see our car again until we left - it was unpacked and parked away without fuss).
I won’t gush about the view which greeted us from Saffire. It is a mesmerising, ever-changing collage of mountains, sea and sky - seen through the curved glass of one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever been in.
No expense has been spared at Saffire - the furnishings, glassware, linens and technology are all the very best. Everywhere you look there is something luxurious and elegant.
There is no check-in at Saffire. Everything is sorted before you arrive, allowing you to start your holiday right away. We were given a quick tour of the main building (sparkling wine in hand) – which features a library, lounge, restaurant and art gallery before being taken to our suite.
The suites themselves are arranged just below the main building and have been cleverly designed for maximum privacy and views. Each has a secure gate which leads into a lovely courtyard, then the front door. They all have a wonderful view of the Hazards and ocean. The suites are 2 levels – with the bed being slightly higher than the living area, allowing you to wake up to that stunning view. The living space features a comfortable couch, other seating and a hidden tv. The mini bar is packed with Tasmanian wine and snacks – all replenished daily and all included in the accommodation rate.
There’s a lovely deck out the front with very comfortable chairs – just perfect for sitting and listening to the sea.
I am pretty fussy about bathrooms – but couldn’t fault this one. Simple and elegant with muted marble, plenty of bench space and the most comfortable bath I have ever experienced, with electronic shutters allowing you to bathe in the sun, or under the stars (windows outside are very well tinted – we did check!) The shower is giant, with 2 rain heads and a handheld nozzle. I adored the heated floor.
Products are Saffire’s own brand – I particularly enjoyed the creamy body lotion, which contained real sapphire dust..
The bed was super comfortable as you would expect. My only slight quibble was a lack of drawers for clothing – there were only wardrobe alcoves which made it hard to store clothes neatly. I would have also liked a proper clothes brush, and better lighting in the wardrobe.
Now to the food. I’ve eaten in some pretty amazing places around the world – but Saffire is top shelf. From breakfast, lunch to dinner and snacks – everything is the best. Dinner was a highlight of each night – I am still dreaming about the tasting menus with matching wine. We never ate the same thing during our 4 night stay (except breakfast – but that’s just because I loved the smoked trout so much).
Saffire’s experiences are unique and personalised. There are so many options to suit all guests – many complimentary. Highlights for us included the Marine Farm experience – where we donned waders and ate freshly shucked oysters chest high in freezing water. The walks are also beautiful, and wonderful to do with a guide. I loved my spa treatment too.
The staff have all obviously been hand-picked for their various skills, talents and specialities which create a perfect balance between the providing the finest service and luxury, in a way which makes guests feel relaxed and at ease.
They all seem genuinely pleased to help you, and enjoy seeing you enjoying yourself. I have never named names in reviews before – but special mention must go to Declan, Lisa, Matthew, Mitchell, Cameron and Jess. Celeste and GM Justin are both charming, and keen to make your stay as special as possible.
I could go on and on, but you really do need to experience Saffire for yourself to understand.
Our 4 nights left me feeling more relaxed and refreshed than any other holiday, and I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LuxuryloverSydney
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed for four nights and didn't want to leave. Rooms match the views from the wall to wall ceiling to floor windows - absolutely stunning. Wonderful service from the moment we arrived. Very attentive and helpful. Needed some assistance with the room electronics, but they were pretty cool once we figured them out. Toiletries felt lovely. Note that there is no pool, and no fireplaces in the rooms. All meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner, morning tea, afternoon tea, canapés, room treats (yes there was a lot of food!) were absolutely delicious and incorporated local produce, which is good to see. Spa treatments were ok. Short stroll to private beach. Excursions were terrific - quad biking was great fun and the boat ride to the Island was beautiful. We would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I would expect all rooms to be perfect. Next time we will probably try a room with a pool. Be careful of hikers on the track in front of your room from a privacy perspective ;)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple