Saffire Freycinet
Edge of the Bay Resort(Coles Bay)(Great Value!)
$232
  • Restaurant
Freycinet Lodge(Coles Bay)(Great Value!)
$215
$180
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
$62
$56
Agoda.com
Swansea Motor Inn(Swansea)(Great Value!)
$70
  • Breakfast included
Picnic Island(Coles Bay)
Freycinet Villas(Coles Bay)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsfood and wineschouten islandoystersdegustation menuhobart airportsaffire loungefarm tourexecutive chefcooking demonstrationmoment you arrivetasmanian devilsspa treatmentswineglass baymemorable experiencemixology classsignature suitesouthern ocean lodge
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Best resort I have ever stayed at. Only 20 rooms. Stunning rooms, stunning views, stunning architecture, stunning service, fabulous food, fabulous wines. I want to come back again someday. Highly recommend this place as it is worth a detour, it is worth a journey just for a few days here.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights and were very sad to leave. The staff were amazing: genuine, helpful and attentive. I have a couple dietary requirements (gluten-free and allergic to three nuts) so I am always appreciative when a kitchen takes care to not only meet my needs but falls over themselves to make sure I have something equally delicious to enjoy. Saffire exceeded my dining expectations at every meal. Of course I would have been surprised if they didn't meet my requirements, considering the price and standard of the hotel, but Saffire not only delivered, they genuinely wanted us to enjoy every part of our experience and invited feedback. The service was not pretentious but friendly and warm - which is often hard to come by.

We loved the oyster shucking experience, a must-do if you like oysters. Joel (and the other guide) was fantastic.

There are too many people to name, so suffice it to say all the staff were wonderful.

Our room was more spacious than I thought it would be and the view, well, there just aren't words. We left the blinds up so we could wake up with the sun each morning and the sunsets each evening over The Hazards were breathtaking.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wlove1
Reviewed April 11, 2013

A wonderful warm welcome by Micha then off to our room to be presented with our itinerary and be given a run down on room, from our welcome drinks to the music to the shower & blinds. The sheer luxury of our room.... I couldn't wait to indulge.
Off to the lounge for a pre dinner drink made by Steve, my daughter told him to surprise her with a cocktail.... Delicious.
We chose to have the 5 course taster menu with the paired wines, the food was oh so wonderful & the wines to match each course were also wonderful. Our waiter Luke kindly wrote down the names of the wines we liked so we could try again once home. The desert was to die for & if I wasn't so full could have cheerfully had another serve, we had Raspberries & White Chocolate.
A fantastically comfortable night to wake up looking out over the Hazards & their ever changing colours.
Another great meal at breakfast time, from the starter to pastries to the Eggs Saffire.

A big thankyou to all the staff from housekeeping on the fantastic jobs they do cleaning the rooms to the GSM's Micha for his welcome & Ross for his friendly chats & printing out a map for us & Dave for letting us know about what activities were planned for the day.
An experience to remember.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
JustinTKing, General Manager at Saffire Freycinet, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear RaChelF560,

Greetings from Saffire! Thank you for posting your thoughts about your recent visit. I am so glad you enjoyed the experience, and it was wonderful to have hosted you.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the white chocolate and raspberry decadence. Our head chef has said that he would be happy to share with you his recipe for this dish if you are interested in trying it for yourself. If you wish to contact me directly I would be delighted to pass this on. I have also relayed your warm praise to all team members mentioned including Micah, Ross, Luke, Dave and in particular our dedicated and hard working housekeeping department. Your comments are warmly appreciated.

Warm Regards

Reviewed April 4, 2013

What a fantastic experience. The welcome, the facilities , the food, the location and the views. It's hard to go past this place for a memorable experience.
We were met by Micha at our car and was swiftly escorted to the lobby where we enjoyed some bubbly. He then took us to our room and explained all the features. The room was outstanding. Then off to a mixology class and then dinner.
The food here is simply outstanding. The exec chef Hugh did a magnificent job in explaining to us each dish and also had fantastic knowledge in matching and explaining the wines. As I said before the food here is exceptional , be it breakfast , lunch or dinner. The day activities we did was the marine farm , wine glass bay lookout and the mixology course. All were very professionally done and was most enjoyable.
This place isn't cheap, but if you want a memorable experience and feel that you are really are in a special place for a few days then Saffire is the place for you. A big thanks to Hugh for making our experience memorable and most enjoyable .

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Andymill71

Dear Andymill71,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a comment. I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I have already passed on your warm praise to Micah, and I agree-we are very lucky to have a chef of the calibre and character of Hugh!

Warm Regards

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I had very high hopes when I booked Saffire based on multiple positive reviews that I had read and it was meant to be the highlight of our Australian trip. In the end, it turned out to be the biggest disappointment.

Things started well and we were welcomed warmly on arrival. There was no check-in as such and we were given a glass of sparkling wine before being taken directly to our suite. The resort occupies a fantastic location with great views of the Hazard Mountains. So far so good.

Upon arrival at our suite, we were shown the facilities and left to settle in. After unpacking, we noticed several footprints (see attached photos) on the floor but assumed it was due to us since we were both wearing shoes.

The next day our room was neither serviced while we were at breakfast (despite us being told upon arrival that this was when rooms were serviced) nor when we went out for our morning excursion. With 20 rooms I don't understand why it is so difficult for the cleaning staff to service a room when guests are out either at breakfast or doing an activity. Tip to the GM - send your head of housekeeping to an Aman Resort. In the end, we had to call for the housekeeping to come and service the room while we were at lunch.

Upon returning from lunch, the room had been poorly serviced (sand and pebbles were still on the floor) and the footprints still remained. I brought this to the attention of the Guest Services Manager, Micah, who said that housekeeping would come back to clean the room again and apologised. He also mentioned that one of the suites had recently had the floor sanded and the workers had walked across it while wet thereby leaving footprints everywhere. He said he wasn't sure if this was our suite but would check.

After returning to my room I inspected the footprints more closely and saw that these were not ours but seemed to be part of the floor. Despite management clearly knowing about this issue, it was not pointed out to me at check-in (had it been I would never have accepted the room). As can be seen from the photos, this was not just one footprint but it was across the entire floor and made the room look filthy.

After complaining I was offered another room but declined since we had already unpacked and I was only staying another night. In the end, I was given a discount off my stay but I still think it's disgraceful that a resort which charges A$1,500+ a night would let this room to a guest and paying 4 figures (after discount) for a room in that condition is still appalling. If this is the standard set by Luxury Lodges in Australia I definitely won't be going back for more.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank samueloShanghai
JustinTKing, Manager at Saffire Freycinet, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear SamueloShanghai,

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful welcome, and certainly that view of the hazards is truly unique and amazing. I was disappointed however to hear that you did not feel comfortable in your suite due to a number of footprint marks. I can appreciate your disappointment that we were not able to repair these faults on the floor of your room during your stay. I can also understand that moving to an alternative room was an inconvenience, however as the room could not repaired during your stay our Guest Services Manager believed this may be the most timely solution to make you comfortable and able to enjoy the remainder of your visit with us.

I agree that the footprint on the floor of your room is not the standard of luxury that we strive to achieve at Saffire and we have since had this problem rectified. You are correct in saying this in not a housekeeping issue as the room was cleaned thoroughly, but instead a maintenance issue as the floor is required to be repolished due to contractors damaging the delicate wooden floor board. Regarding your comments about the service timings of the suites, I must say I am a little confused. We will generally service the suites in the early afternoon while many of our guests are out on activities and experiences. Should the guest prefer, we are always delighted to schedule the service at a time more convenient to them. In this case we had no request until your call at lunch time. I note that on the next day we serviced your suite at the preferred time.

SamueloShanghai, I am disappointed that despite such a warm beginning to your time with us, this one issue clouded your visit.I sincerely hope that that we have may the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to the Freycinet Peninsula so that we may provide you with the true Saffire Experience.

Yours Sincerely