“A fantastic experience”
Review of Saffire Freycinet

Saffire Freycinet
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Coles Bay
Reviewed April 11, 2013

A wonderful warm welcome by Micha then off to our room to be presented with our itinerary and be given a run down on room, from our welcome drinks to the music to the shower & blinds. The sheer luxury of our room.... I couldn't wait to indulge.
Off to the lounge for a pre dinner drink made by Steve, my daughter told him to surprise her with a cocktail.... Delicious.
We chose to have the 5 course taster menu with the paired wines, the food was oh so wonderful & the wines to match each course were also wonderful. Our waiter Luke kindly wrote down the names of the wines we liked so we could try again once home. The desert was to die for & if I wasn't so full could have cheerfully had another serve, we had Raspberries & White Chocolate.
A fantastically comfortable night to wake up looking out over the Hazards & their ever changing colours.
Another great meal at breakfast time, from the starter to pastries to the Eggs Saffire.

A big thankyou to all the staff from housekeeping on the fantastic jobs they do cleaning the rooms to the GSM's Micha for his welcome & Ross for his friendly chats & printing out a map for us & Dave for letting us know about what activities were planned for the day.
An experience to remember.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
JustinTKing, General Manager at Saffire Freycinet, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear RaChelF560,

Greetings from Saffire! Thank you for posting your thoughts about your recent visit. I am so glad you enjoyed the experience, and it was wonderful to have hosted you.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the white chocolate and raspberry decadence. Our head chef has said that he would be happy to share with you his recipe for this dish if you are interested in trying it for yourself. If you wish to contact me directly I would be delighted to pass this on. I have also relayed your warm praise to all team members mentioned including Micah, Ross, Luke, Dave and in particular our dedicated and hard working housekeeping department. Your comments are warmly appreciated.

Warm Regards

There are newer reviews for Saffire Freycinet

Reviewed April 4, 2013

What a fantastic experience. The welcome, the facilities , the food, the location and the views. It's hard to go past this place for a memorable experience.
We were met by Micha at our car and was swiftly escorted to the lobby where we enjoyed some bubbly. He then took us to our room and explained all the features. The room was outstanding. Then off to a mixology class and then dinner.
The food here is simply outstanding. The exec chef Hugh did a magnificent job in explaining to us each dish and also had fantastic knowledge in matching and explaining the wines. As I said before the food here is exceptional , be it breakfast , lunch or dinner. The day activities we did was the marine farm , wine glass bay lookout and the mixology course. All were very professionally done and was most enjoyable.
This place isn't cheap, but if you want a memorable experience and feel that you are really are in a special place for a few days then Saffire is the place for you. A big thanks to Hugh for making our experience memorable and most enjoyable .

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Andymill71

Dear Andymill71,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a comment. I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I have already passed on your warm praise to Micah, and I agree-we are very lucky to have a chef of the calibre and character of Hugh!

Warm Regards

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I had very high hopes when I booked Saffire based on multiple positive reviews that I had read and it was meant to be the highlight of our Australian trip. In the end, it turned out to be the biggest disappointment.

Things started well and we were welcomed warmly on arrival. There was no check-in as such and we were given a glass of sparkling wine before being taken directly to our suite. The resort occupies a fantastic location with great views of the Hazard Mountains. So far so good.

Upon arrival at our suite, we were shown the facilities and left to settle in. After unpacking, we noticed several footprints (see attached photos) on the floor but assumed it was due to us since we were both wearing shoes.

The next day our room was neither serviced while we were at breakfast (despite us being told upon arrival that this was when rooms were serviced) nor when we went out for our morning excursion. With 20 rooms I don't understand why it is so difficult for the cleaning staff to service a room when guests are out either at breakfast or doing an activity. Tip to the GM - send your head of housekeeping to an Aman Resort. In the end, we had to call for the housekeeping to come and service the room while we were at lunch.

Upon returning from lunch, the room had been poorly serviced (sand and pebbles were still on the floor) and the footprints still remained. I brought this to the attention of the Guest Services Manager, Micah, who said that housekeeping would come back to clean the room again and apologised. He also mentioned that one of the suites had recently had the floor sanded and the workers had walked across it while wet thereby leaving footprints everywhere. He said he wasn't sure if this was our suite but would check.

After returning to my room I inspected the footprints more closely and saw that these were not ours but seemed to be part of the floor. Despite management clearly knowing about this issue, it was not pointed out to me at check-in (had it been I would never have accepted the room). As can be seen from the photos, this was not just one footprint but it was across the entire floor and made the room look filthy.

After complaining I was offered another room but declined since we had already unpacked and I was only staying another night. In the end, I was given a discount off my stay but I still think it's disgraceful that a resort which charges A$1,500+ a night would let this room to a guest and paying 4 figures (after discount) for a room in that condition is still appalling. If this is the standard set by Luxury Lodges in Australia I definitely won't be going back for more.

9  Thank samueloShanghai
JustinTKing, Manager at Saffire Freycinet, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear SamueloShanghai,

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful welcome, and certainly that view of the hazards is truly unique and amazing. I was disappointed however to hear that you did not feel comfortable in your suite due to a number of footprint marks. I can appreciate your disappointment that we were not able to repair these faults on the floor of your room during your stay. I can also understand that moving to an alternative room was an inconvenience, however as the room could not repaired during your stay our Guest Services Manager believed this may be the most timely solution to make you comfortable and able to enjoy the remainder of your visit with us.

I agree that the footprint on the floor of your room is not the standard of luxury that we strive to achieve at Saffire and we have since had this problem rectified. You are correct in saying this in not a housekeeping issue as the room was cleaned thoroughly, but instead a maintenance issue as the floor is required to be repolished due to contractors damaging the delicate wooden floor board. Regarding your comments about the service timings of the suites, I must say I am a little confused. We will generally service the suites in the early afternoon while many of our guests are out on activities and experiences. Should the guest prefer, we are always delighted to schedule the service at a time more convenient to them. In this case we had no request until your call at lunch time. I note that on the next day we serviced your suite at the preferred time.

SamueloShanghai, I am disappointed that despite such a warm beginning to your time with us, this one issue clouded your visit.I sincerely hope that that we have may the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to the Freycinet Peninsula so that we may provide you with the true Saffire Experience.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We returned to Saffire for our second visit at Easter and could not have been more satisfied. Despite being almost full, we were constantly treated like we were the only guests there. Everything was perfect and the food was simply exceptional. As before, the staff couldn't help enough and went out of their way to fulfill any requirements we had - even if it wasn't on the menu or a planned activity.

Simply the best short stay accommodation, food and service in Australia!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Travelling over Easter is always a risk. Even the small exclusive resorts are at maximum capacity. Last year it was Qualia - the facilities and location were wonderful but the service not up to scratch.
That trip was a good marker for Saffire another Australian resort that aspires to the most premium end of the market.

Saffire was frankly perfect - the facilities and suites are first rate; I like that all meals can be included so whilst the room rate is very high you are not constantly looking at prices for more. Hugh does a wonderful job with an ever changing gourmet menu with bet of local produce.
Despite all 20 suites being full the service was never anything less than perfect, we were never rushed or asked to pick another time because others had already booked ( which happened much too regularly last year).
Freycinet is not the Barrier Reef but it is every bit as special. My only regret is not coming equipped for serious diving in the marine wonderland here. I won't make that mistake next time.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Simon T
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Saffire in our opinion is the best, one still gets butterflies drive up the drive to the entrance, and to be greeted this time by Micah then by Hugh,is was like coming back to family. The place still has the Wow, even though this was our fifth visit, this time it was for five nights ( still not enough ).

The staff new and old were all brilliant, as one would expect. On this visit we did the wine glass bay by boat trip, is was great, but the lunch on the secret beach was unreal ( we think this beach was better than wine glass bay ) also did the quad bike trip, having never be on one before it was a lot of fun particularly the muddy water ( it bring out the child in you ) along the destination of the south end of friendly beach and morning tea, all in all great ( also if you drive slowly through the puddles you don’t get wet ).. also did the in room dining.. again something one must do.. your own chef for the evening it doesn’t get any better. ( thanks jeff )

As everybody says you have to go.. best tip is to just go ( and take the dinner package ), and don’t do too many activities , so you can have some time to just take it all in.. ( but there are many great activities and you must do like the oyster farm tour, and any of the boat trips )

Again thanks to everybody (Justin,Hugh, Micah,Russall, Decland, Carrie, Mark, Luke, Bec, Peta, Paul, Jeff, John and all the others ) and we are looking forward to our next visit

Reviewed March 24, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent an amazing 24 hours at Saffire, which is easily summarised as the best weekend experience we've had yet! The service was faultless, the food was delicious and the facilities were luxurious, all exceeded my expectations. My girlfriend and I live in Hobart, and spent the first night at Freycinet camping on Hazards Beach, and the second at Saffire. The night at Saffire was a birthday surprise, which went down a treat! HIGHLY recommended

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coles Bay
#1 of 5 in Coles Bay
Freycinet Retreat
Freycinet Retreat
#1 of 5 in Coles Bay

Been to Saffire Freycinet? Share your experiences!