“Consistent in their lovely food and great service”

Ingleside Bakery Cafe
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Evandale
Cuisines: Australian, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Ingleside Bakery Cafe is a licensed cafe and bakery situated in a classically designed former Council Chamber built in 1867 in the beautiful Georgian village of Evandale. We produce our own cakes, pies, quiche and bread. The courtyard is a wonderful place to sit beside the famous wall of Pierre de Ronsard roses in spring and summer or beside the roaring log fire during the colder months. We have excellent Australian art for sale and we have a large range of Tasmanian wines, jams, olive oils etc. We provide free wifi and dogs are welcome to sit in the courtyard! The business has been under continuous ownership for the last 27 years. Open every day except public holidays.
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Yet again, another drive to Launceston airport dropping the relatives of for their flights home. Before their flights we always take them to Evandale and the Ingleside Bakery for either Breakfast, Brunch or lunch. With the last lot to fly out we had a late lunch, and again all loved their food, and the coffee, cold drinks and service was great.

We all had pies, 2 x scallop pies, 3 x steak and mushroom, and I had the chunky beef, all stated they were delicious, we will be back.

Jane S, Owner at Ingleside Bakery Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

I was delighted to hear that you regularly come to Ingleside and that you always really enjoy the experience. Thank you very much and we look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Ingleside Bakery Cafe

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We love making the short drive to Evandale to visit the Ingleside Bakery Cafe after touching down at the Launceston Airport. It's a beautifully warm environment, especially on a winters day when they light the open fire for you so you can sit there enjoying your freshly brewed coffee and my favourite is the Pepper Steak Pie with the Special Tomato Chutney on the side! (I ask for my pie's to be extra hot out of the oven!) MMM Yum!
And the gifts and Nick Nacks are always a pleasure to explore before leaving! Don't miss the opportunity to enjoy the Roses growing up the outside wall if it's a beautiful sunny day.
Definitely a great place to start or finish your Holiday in Tasmania is at this lovely quaint little cafe/restaurant in beautiful Evandale... plenty of shops to explore, especially the Leather Goods and Country Fashion Store across the road!
We'll see you there next time we visit!

1  Thank LaurenceB152
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Thought I would write a review of our fav.bakery so I checked out previous reviews before getting started and discovered an unbelievable review from 'Lenoval'. We have their pies and they are lovely. In fact all of their food is very good, especially their breakfasts which we always treat our sons to when they come back to Tassie. The old bakery building is wonderful with its log fire going through winter, great atmosphere, and summer courtyard with its roses. I love to check out the old paintings they have on their walls too. If you are travelling through Evandale you should call in, Even for just some bread.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This morning's breakfast was delicious. We started off with gorgeous coffees, and they were so good we ordered second mugs and stayed on drinking them by the warm fire after our breakfast. I had the Ingleside baked fruit bread toasted which was packed with fruit and yummy, spread with butter and local raspberry jam. We all had different egg and bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes etc. Everyone's breakfast was delicious. It was so cosy there by the fire and the service very friendly with everyone's different special requests met willingly by the staff. THANK YOU for a gorgeous morning. I didn't want to leave. PS: I love the new pay before you eat at the counter idea. It is so much easier when you come with a group of friends. And I love all the new paintings for sale on the walls.

Jane S, Owner at Ingleside Bakery Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are thrilled you loved your time at Ingleside!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We just had lunch at Ingleside. I want to give an honest review so here goes. It was all pretty average. My issue with this place is twofold. On one hand it's pretty expensive. I paid $8 for the most anaemic looking pepper steak pie I have ever seen (which brings me to my second problem). Both my pie and my partner's Cornish pastie were so blergh!! I will now qualify what I mean. It was edible but if you pay $8 for a pie you want it to be good. When I cut into my white pastry pie, instead of being greeted with a dark, rich, glistening gravy filled with lovely steak, I got a pale (almost white) looking stodge with visible fibres of meat clagged in there. Well okay, maybe it tastes good, so I take a bite. Simply put, it was salted and it was peppery. As far as sophistication of flavour that's as far as it got unfortunately. There was no rounding off of flavour, no dimension in the mouth, just salt, a lot of pepper and some stewed meat. For 8 bucks fellas, not good enough. The Cornish pastie suffered a similar demise, grey interior with no complexity of flavour.

On the plus side my daughter's quiche was quite nice and the coffees we had were strangely exceptional.

Will not be back in a hurry which is a real pity. The location is great and if there were some genuine talent behind building flavour it could be so great.

My advice to them. Make your fillings rich, wonderful, and visually appealing. I will try to and a photo of my pie to demonstrate its anaemia.

3  Thank Lenoval

I recognised your name on the similar comments that you made on Ingleside's facebook page from your application to work here last November. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the coffee, quiche and location. However, we are totally puzzled as to how the pepper pie could be pale inside. We sell hundreds of these pies and the Cornish pasties every week and the same baker has made them for the last 14 years. We have taken some apart and the meat chunks are very dark ... we wonder whether you were given a chicken pie by mistake as it seems the only explanation. The pastie is lighter in colour inside but we have always made it to the traditional recipe which was made for the working man with swede, potato and onion, so certainly simple flavours, not complex but the way we believe it should be. We appreciate your comments and are always seeking ways to improve.