“Excellent spot and service for a conference”

Lufra Hotel and Apartments
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eaglehawk Neck
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hobart, Australia
“Excellent spot and service for a conference”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

In late March 2014 I took my management team here and was so impressed with the service, value and view. About an hour from Hobart this is a terrific place to take a team away and discuss business. It was a quiet time of year, so we had a lot of the place to ourselves most of the times, but I would highly recommend this venue any time of the year.

We stayed in the newer, modern apartments. Not only a fabulous view of the water but the interiors were nice. The staff were friendly and proactive, I was extremely impressed when near the end of one of our strategy sessions a staff member came into the room we were using to apologise in advance of any noise she was about to make near us, when she was setting things up for the dinner trade.

We ate there both nights too and thought the food was good. With the beach at the doorstep, great value, excellent service and less than an hour from Hobart - I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer rooms, and an upstairs one if available - better view! Also, consider booking your...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We booked a family room (2 adjacent rooms with double bed) in main hotel. Hotel is old, in need of a facelift. Room was small. Sheets were stained although had been washed. Thin curtains and bare carpets. Staff were friendly and helpful. Great views. On site restaurant with pub meals. Motel accommodation looked much better (was what I thought I had booked) Close to Port Arthur.

Room Tip: Book motel units- not rooms in main hotel
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Sarahmelbourneaus

Travelers are raving about these Eaglehawk Neck hotels

Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We were touring Tasmania and wanted to visit Port Arthur. We read reviews on the "Lufra Hotel" which suggested that it was a good place to stay. We booked two nights in Feb of 2014 but when we arrived it was apparent that the reviews and the hotel were not a good match. To cut a long saga short, we had a dirty, old fashioned room, the hotel looked as if no money had been spent on updates since the 60s, no lift, smelt old and musty, restaurant was depressing, furniture grubby and cheap, food inedible - we had to get a refund and to cap it all the hairdryer exploded on me and sparks flew out and burnt my hair and fused the room. Despite the presence of a smoke detector right outside the shower room door it didn't go off - even more worrying. When I spoke to the manager before leaving a day earlier than planned he said that it was not a best Western hotel, Best Western only owns the modern apartments next door. He said that he didn't know what to say, that the room " is what it is". I said that no matter who owned it, a hotel should be safe and clean, the food should be edible, he agreed but did nothing. Luckily I had booked through wotif.com.au and their customer service line was excellent and I was refunded the night I didn't stay. So if anyone is thinking of booking please make sure you know which part you are Booking, the apartments are very different form this dreadful hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sian G
Canberra
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed at The Lufra for a night with my husband over the Christmas holidays on the way to Port Arthur. I'm sure the hotel was lovely back in its heyday, but those days have long since passed and no one seems to care anymore. The toilet and bathroom hadn't been cleaned since the last guest and the carpets were filthy! I put my shoes back on when my husband pointed them out. The TV was a tiny 34cm a mile away from the bed. On the plus side the room was spacious and the beds were comfy enough.

We ate at the restaurant and it was a disaster. The menu said to ask the waiter about vegetarian options so I did. They said they could do a creamy vege pasta. I requested they skip the cream and make a tomato based sauce. What I got was indescribable. I think they panicked. It was possible meant to be a honey and ginger sauce (that would have been better in a stir fry) that was so sweet it was inedible. The waiters seemed very distracted. I ordered some wine and the waiter came back a few seconds later to ask which wine I wanted. Then we saw another table that had obviously ordered a beer but the waiter must have forgotten which one so he brought them all out for the diner to point to the one she wanted. My water glass had a giant lipstick stain on it. You had to laugh or you'd cry.

Overall a depressing experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nicnacvb
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

We were a bit dubious about stopping here, having read some of the reviews. The view is superb and coffee very good. The roast of the day was excellent. Chicken Parma was fresh but sauce tasted like salsa? Service was friendly and fast.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank gidgea
Sunshine Coast QLD
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Wow, what a location for a hotel. Yes it's old and dated but it's neat and tidy and the operators are pleasant and happy to see you.

It's located in the perfect location, 5 minutes from the blow hole, devils kitchen, Tasman arch, Doo Town and out the front is the pavement carved out of the sea that looks like tiles!

We had dinner at the restaurant and the $10 continental breakfast which was lovely looking out on the beautiful Pirates bay, really enjoyed our stay at the Lufra.

Room Tip: No fitness centre but hey it's holiday time;-) no kids activities but there is a beach right in...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
#2 of 5 in Port Arthur
Parsons Bay Retreat
Parsons Bay Retreat
#1 of 1 in Nubeena

Been to Lufra Hotel and Apartments? Share your experiences!