“Fourth floor 4.5 star - second floor 2.5 star!”

Quality Hotel Gateway
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Devonport
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I booked this at a cheap rate - a bit over $110 per night. I rang the hotel to see if all the rooms had been renovated - which I was told had been. On arrival I was assigned room 223 - second floor. The bathroom was new and nice. New carpet, however they have not replaced the old crappy windows. In addition there is no aircon nor fan - and the room was hot and stuffy. Too much noise to have window open at night. The other big complaint I had about the room was the firmness of the mattress.

After speaking to a couple of staff and getting nowhere (and being told no rooms have aircon and the same beds!) I then spoke to the manager the following day - who was a lot more eager to address my concerns. She offered to put me in a room on the 4th floor - for a small cost - $30 per night. She said they have aircon and latex beds. Well arriving to my new room was like chalk and cheese. Really nice and quite elegant and feeling of luxury. Bed great. View good. Bath great. Fancy electronics to open blinds & curtains & lights. But the main difference is the feel - very comfortable; modern - a space to relax and rejuvinate.

Highly recommend floor 4 and not recommend the lower floors.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Scott_Fiona_Anjali

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Excellent amenities. Spacious room with modern bathroom. Excellent dining and room service options. Across the road from the Devonport Corporate Centre - very convenient for business travellers. The only criticism I have is of the noise of banging doors at night on the bottom floor. However, this will not stop me from returning as the service and amenities were fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 26, 2012

My mum and I stayed for one night the staff were friendly, check in was quick and easy. The room was a good size and the second floor, the bathroom do was a bit strange made of frosted glass. We used the restaurant the steaks are good. Would stay there again

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Our unit had been totally refurbished and contained a very modern bathroom with large shower. The breakfasts are good but a bit overpriced. The staff were very helpful. We were impressed that the hotel offered washers & dryers for guest use. Very thoughtful!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The fourth floor is amazing, great views, (make sure you ask for a harbour view) relaxing spa, push buttons for everything. We have stayed in hotels all around the world but were very impressed with the whole room. Will definitely come back. Also had a very nice meal in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Make sure when you book, that you will be on the fourth floor with the harbour view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2011

It is a nice little hotel, I stayed in the Deluxe Spa room facing what I think is the harbour, not the prettiest of views, but certainly industrial. But don't let that spoil your stay! The room itself is moderately sized and has a comfortable king size bed, and a spa bath as the room title says, and the jets aren't that powerful but it is still very relaxing!

I actually asked for their best room, which isn't this one, and I can only assume the hostess thought this is all I could afford, because as I look at wotif, ALL of the room types are available, and I would have preferred the upgrade...

The room fit-out is modern and clean, well spaced, I can't really say anything bad about the stay apart from there was no sugar for my coffee, and only water in the bar fridge. Also, walking down the street on a saturday night I had a bottle thrown *near* me from some drunk idiots across the road.. but that's any city on a Saturday night with drunk people I guess.

All said, it was a comfortable stay for $177 for the night, however I haven't checked out yet, so hopefully this review stands well and I don't have to write a conflicting review :)

Room Tip: I chose the Spa room, facing harbour, $177 night, can't go wrong!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Traveller9372
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Let's remember - we aren't paying huge money to stay here. The rooms are clean and comfortable , thankfully renovated and the bathroom is fairly modern

Air conditioning would be nice and I wouldn't stay here if it was a hot day

My room service was ok, steak was overcooked and having a drink with my meal comprised of visiting the bottleshop next door ... Lack of car parking was also a worry

But - again, not too expensive

• Stayed: December 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Devonport
Sunrise Devonport
#3 of 5 in Devonport
Beachway
Beachway
#1 of 3 in Ulverstone

Been to Quality Hotel Gateway? Share your experiences!